Thread: Toxin acorns nuts

Default Toxin acorns nuts

I have read where acorns can be toxic To flyers due to an algae formed from moisture...is that the same for nuts? I have a ton of hickory nuts on the ground, are those safe? I’ve only been giving her the ones that have recently fallen or pulled from the tree. Thank you and happy thanksgiving

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Aimee from:

RockyPops (11-28-2019)

Default Re: Toxin acorns nuts

They are VERY different nuts. If you chop an acorn open - and you can cut right through the shell with a sharp knife - you will find the nut inside is wet - it is almost like a potato. They are similar to chestnuts, which are traditionally cooked and mashed like potatoes. The thin shell is easily cracked and the moisture in the meat is a perfect medium for growing bacteria. The same is true of the chestnut, by the way. The hickory nut has a shell more like stainless steel plate! I have a fair sized chunk missing from the concrete floor of my basement from hitting one with a hammer to try to break it. The nut, not the floor! If you are actually able to open one, you will find that the nut inside is dry, like most tree nuts are - no moisture to act as a growing medium for mold. In fact normally, hickories are left on the ground to allow the outer husk to rot off to facilitate shucking the husk more easily.

Hickories are OK. Acorns are dangerous.

4. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

redwuff (11-28-2019), RockyPops (11-28-2019), stepnstone (11-28-2019)

Default Re: Toxin acorns nuts

Thank you so much! I will begin to gather! Happy Thanksgiving!!!

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Aimee from:

RockyPops (11-28-2019)