Thread: Lily has infected wound on her leg

Default Lily has infected wound on her leg

Hello all. The same Lily that some of you have helped me with years ago that I almost had put to sleep due to excessive chewing of her toes and feet. She had been put on prescribed medicines that help prevent her from chewing herself up.

Story short, off and on chewing that would be maintained fairly well. She is a little over 7 years old. My vet can not believe that she is still alive. She has had to have two of her toes on her foot amputated from chewing them so bad suddenly and fervently. Usually when she chews it's more like abrasive kind of chewing. Well, this time I have been having trouble getting her to leave the spot on her leg alone. She had been chewing (abrasion) not gnawing this spot for maybe a month or so off and on.

With the increase dose of her tramidol, she fineally stopped chewing that spot, however it looks infected, doesn't look horrible but want to treat the infection before it gets worse. When her sore was open and starting to look infected, twice over the past week and a halfish I put peroxide on her sore then rinsed it with water to prevent tissue damage. So her sore looks kinda closed dry infected wound if that makes sense.

I have some Cephalexin 500mg I got from the vet last month for our dog who got his ass kicked when he attacked another dog. Would this be a good antibiotic for Lily. It is the same antibiotic vet gave me for prentative wound infection for my dog. I need to know the ratio to mix a pill and dosing and frequency.

Okay. Warning ahead, totally change of subject here. I just found an aunt (sister to my birth mom) over the past weekend. I never knew any of my birth mother's family. I have more answers now thanks to (Aunt) Linda and she is so very sweet and happy that I contacted her. I am going to leave tomorrow to visit her. So I am hoping to have this dosing information before I leave as it will have to be made ahead so my husband can give it to her while I am away.

Thank you all very much. Lily says hello and sends her love.

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Monipenny:

frankc (11-25-2019), RockyPops (11-25-2019)

Default Re: Lily has infected wound on her leg

Quote Originally Posted by Monipenny View Post
    Hello all. The same Lily that some of you have helped me with years ago that I almost had put to sleep due to excessive chewing of her toes and feet. She had been put on prescribed medicines that help prevent her from chewing herself up.

Story short, off and on chewing that would be maintained fairly well. She is a little over 7 years old. My vet can not believe that she is still alive. She has had to have two of her toes on her foot amputated from chewing them so bad suddenly and fervently. Usually when she chews it's more like abrasive kind of chewing. Well, this time I have been having trouble getting her to leave the spot on her leg alone. She had been chewing (abrasion) not gnawing this spot for maybe a month or so off and on.

With the increase dose of her tramidol, she fineally stopped chewing that spot, however it looks infected, doesn't look horrible but want to treat the infection before it gets worse. When her sore was open and starting to look infected, twice over the past week and a halfish I put peroxide on her sore then rinsed it with water to prevent tissue damage. So her sore looks kinda closed dry infected wound if that makes sense.

I have some Cephalexin 500mg I got from the vet last month for our dog who got his ass kicked when he attacked another dog. Would this be a good antibiotic for Lily. It is the same antibiotic vet gave me for prentative wound infection for my dog. I need to know the ratio to mix a pill and dosing and frequency.

Okay. Warning ahead, totally change of subject here. I just found an aunt (sister to my birth mom) over the past weekend. I never knew any of my birth mother's family. I have more answers now thanks to (Aunt) Linda and she is so very sweet and happy that I contacted her. I am going to leave tomorrow to visit her. So I am hoping to have this dosing information before I leave as it will have to be made ahead so my husband can give it to her while I am away.

Thank you all very much. Lily says hello and sends her love.
    Crittermom, I need your help.

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Monipenny:

Monipenny, we need the weight of the Lily to dose the med. This is a pill/tablet, right?

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    Monipenny, we need the weight of the Lily to dose the med. This is a pill/tablet, right?

Oh of course, I forgot, umm she is a lil one, her approx. weight from long ago, (adult weight) she hasn't grown anymore would be 380 gr. Keep in mind, she has only one back leg because she had to have one amputated. And the pill is a capsule, I would have to bust it open.

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Monipenny:

Does the capsule have a powder inside or tiny beads?

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

The reason I ask is because the beads in capsules are often timed release. We don’t dose those as they should never be crushed.

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

You have the best person on here for help with meds helping you so I am gonna let HRT4SQRLS handle that but I do want to add that you do not want to use the peroxide. Do you have any Betadyne (10% povidone iodine)? If not, get some at the drug store with the wound care stuff. 25 drops in 1/4 cup of water should be used to clean the spot of infection. Saturate a cotton ball with the diluted mixture and hold it on the sore spot for a few moments, then leave it wet and let it dry by itself. It won't hurt or burn at all and is a wonderful antibacterial and antifungal. Do it a couple times a day.

14. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Dosing sent.

16. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

frankc (11-25-2019), JLM27 (11-25-2019), Mel1959 (11-26-2019), RockyPops (11-25-2019)