Thread: Confused about recurring issue

Unhappy Confused about recurring issue

So I've posted about this a few times before, but wanted some input. Peanut has had one nostril that keeps getting white mucus in it (right side). She's been to the vet several times and the vet hasn't seen anything inside the nostril and she's been treated with baytril and it goes away. Then it comes back! She eats, drinks, has no other issues and acts normal. I have a humidifier in the room which seemed to help for a while and now it's back again. Her teeth are fine, her ears are fine. Lungs sound good. I'm baffled. Any ideas??

Extra info- gets fresh veggies everyday with rodent blocks. Gets shelled nuts to wear down her teeth. She's 4 years old.

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to ILovePeanut from:

RockyPops (11-25-2019)

Default Re: Confused about recurring issue

Have you had an X-ray of her head done? Have you ever stacked two antibiotics, like Clavamox and Baytril? Or used any other antibiotic?

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

frankc (11-25-2019), RockyPops (11-25-2019)

No x-ray as of yet because the vet would have to knock her out and she had a spinal injury when she was very small and we both agreed it would be to dangerous. No combo drugs either but I can ask her about that. Would both cipro+baytril be more effective then the baytril alone? Thank you for replying!

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to ILovePeanut:

I ask about the head x ray because squirrels can get odontoma where the teeth grow inward and can cause sinus problems and infections. X ray is the only way to diagnose.

I see you’re in Florida. May I ask which area? We have some outstanding squirrel vets in the state.

I’m not sure which antibiotics would be best to stack or use. I will refer another member to this thread as she is our medicine guru.

8. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

frankc (11-25-2019), RockyPops (11-25-2019), SammysMom (11-25-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by ILovePeanut View Post
    No x-ray as of yet because the vet would have to knock her out and she had a spinal injury when she was very small and we both agreed it would be to dangerous. No combo drugs either but I can ask her about that. Would both cipro+baytril be more effective then the baytril alone? Thank you for replying!
    Cipro and baytril are nearly identical - Cipro is the human version and Baytril is the animal version.

Both of these drugs are fairly narrow in the infections they treat. They kick the butt out of what they treat but they are often given for things that they will NOT treat.

Clavamox is broader spectrum - it treats a wider range of infections that cipro/baytril will not treat. It is more of a shotgun approach. I would absolutely try using it either alone or in conjunction with another drug.

Has the vet ever cultured the mucous? I would absolutely do that. They CAN get bordetella - it is kennel cough in dogs but more upper respiratory in squirrels, and if that is the case, doxycycline is, I think, the course usually taken. And if not it should tell you what you are dealing with so that the proper antibiotic for THAT issue can be given.

10. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

frankc (11-25-2019), Mel1959 (11-25-2019), RockyPops (11-25-2019), SammysMom (11-25-2019)

Just got an appt just now to run her in for an x Ray. Vets gonna try to do it without knocking her out. They must not be busy today! Wish us luck. Thank u guys. I'll ask about the doxy and Cipro too.

12. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to ILovePeanut:

frankc (11-25-2019), Nancy in New York (11-25-2019), RockyPops (11-25-2019)

If you can get a culture like crittermom suggested that would be helpful.

14. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

frankc (11-25-2019), ILovePeanut (11-25-2019), RockyPops (11-25-2019), SammysMom (11-25-2019)

Just got an appt just now to run her in for an x Ray. Vets gonna try to do it without knocking her out. They must not be busy today! Wish us luck. Thank u guys. I'll ask about the doxy and Cipro too.
    CLAVAMOX!!

16. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

ILovePeanut (11-25-2019), RockyPops (11-25-2019), SammysMom (11-25-2019)

Yes Trust me I've got this page out while I'm here! I won't forget. Thank u!!

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to ILovePeanut from:

RockyPops (11-25-2019)

Alright, x ray is all done! It came back clear, her teeth look good, there's no tumor or blockage. So onto the clavomox!

20. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to ILovePeanut:

So far that is great news !!!!!
    Squirrels Do Matter

If you Were Lucky Enough To Have Loved and Taken Care Of A Squirrel Then
    You Showed Him Or Her More Love Than They Would Have Ever Known In The Wild
    __________________________________________________ ______________________
    Member Of WRAM ( Wildlife Rehabbers association Massachusetts)

22. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to frankc:

ILovePeanut (11-25-2019), RockyPops (11-25-2019)

Could there be a fungal infection?
    We live in a heaven created by our virtues --- Muktananda

Won't know for a bit but the clavomox should help if there's any infection. I speculated with the vet that maybe it was allergies since we moved. You guys have been loads of help though!

25. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to ILovePeanut:

Mel1959 (11-26-2019), RockyPops (11-25-2019)

Hey guys, just an update. She's still doing good, and she's been on the clavomox since my post. I've been giving (live culture) yogurt with it as well which she loves. I was wondering (since I can't ask the vet right now and it's 9 pm...) how fast should clavomox clear up the mucus? And would either the clavomox or yogurt give her lighter poops? They're more caramel colored then dark brown. Sorry, just stressing.

Also Happy Thanksgiving all!

27. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to ILovePeanut:

Diggie's Friend (11-29-2019), RockyPops (11-28-2019)

Hey guys, just an update. She's still doing good, and she's been on the clavomox since my post. I've been giving (live culture) yogurt with it as well which she loves. I was wondering (since I can't ask the vet right now and it's 9 pm...) how fast should clavomox clear up the mucus? And would either the clavomox or yogurt give her lighter poops? They're more caramel colored then dark brown. Sorry, just stressing. Also Happy Thanksgiving all!
    Unsure if your meaning yogurt along with the Ab or in addition to?
    A probiotic (yogurt) should be given 2 hours before or two hours after the antibiotic to avoid working against the other.
    Is her stool soft or firm/hard ? If soft that's explainable as ab's often cause loose/soft stool, and often diarrhea.
    Providing extra hydration is important when administering ab's. The "color" I would suspect is the yogurt.
    If her stool is dry I would definitely push hydration in between regular feeding.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

29. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

ILovePeanut (11-29-2019), RockyPops (11-28-2019)

Ah, okay! The stools aren't soft or dry, just her normal ones but lighter. Was concerned about it as I don't want her to get diarrhea on top of this. And she has been well hydrated. Thank you!!

31. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to ILovePeanut:

RockyPops (11-29-2019), stepnstone (11-29-2019)