Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: HBC rescue squirrel is spinning/turning in circles.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    134
    Thanked: 10

    Default HBC rescue squirrel is spinning/turning in circles.

    I am a rehabber first off. I found a grown female gray squirrel in the road this morning and picked her up. She was curled up when I found her and moving around in a circle slightly. I gave her some Loxicam and have here in a carrier in a dark room with nothing to bother here. She had some light blood in and on her mouth (not bleeding heavily), teeth look ok, no blood in ears or contusions I can find. She slept a while and is back to the moving around in a circle. Not spinning like a top but just not resting. I have only cared for 3 HBC's and none did this. I did treat one that fell from a tree onto a big rock and he went around in circles but stopped and was fine the next morning. Just want to know if I need to do something else for her. Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    16,060
    Thanked: 9992

    Default Re: HBC rescue squirrel is spinning/turning in circles.

    Quote Originally Posted by lamb57 View Post
    I am a rehabber first off. I found a grown female gray squirrel in the road this morning and picked her up. She was curled up when I found her and moving around in a circle slightly. I gave her some Loxicam and have here in a carrier in a dark room with nothing to bother here. She had some light blood in and on her mouth (not bleeding heavily), teeth look ok, no blood in ears or contusions I can find. She slept a while and is back to the moving around in a circle. Not spinning like a top but just not resting. I have only cared for 3 HBC's and none did this. I did treat one that fell from a tree onto a big rock and he went around in circles but stopped and was fine the next morning. Just want to know if I need to do something else for her. Thanks
    Do you have or can you get hold of Predisone?
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator


  3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

    RockyPops (11-24-2019)

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    134
    Thanked: 10

    Default Re: HBC rescue squirrel is spinning/turning in circles.

    Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    Do you have or can you get hold of Predisone?
    I don't think I have any but will check.

  5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to lamb57:

    RockyPops (11-24-2019), stepnstone (11-24-2019)

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    134
    Thanked: 10

    Default Re: HBC rescue squirrel is spinning/turning in circles.

    Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    Do you have or can you get hold of Predisone?
    I do have some but it's older, exp 12/1/17 20 mg She weighs 416 grams

  7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to lamb57 from:

    RockyPops (11-24-2019)

  8. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    SC (Madison)
    Posts
    4,575
    Thanked: 4113

    Default Re: HBC rescue squirrel is spinning/turning in circles.

    Hang on a few minutes and I will send dosing instrunctions. I would not worry about that expiration, this will be her best chance... the sooner the better.

    Has she had any NSAID meds (Ibuprofen, Meloxicam, etc)?

  9. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

    frankc (11-25-2019), Nancy in New York (11-25-2019), RockyPops (11-24-2019)

  10. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    SC (Madison)
    Posts
    4,575
    Thanked: 4113

    Default Re: HBC rescue squirrel is spinning/turning in circles.

    Dosing sent in a PM, also please note...

    Caution: Prednisone can not be given in conjunction with NSAID drugs (Ibuprofen, Meloxicam, etc.). If she has had an NSAID, please wait 24 hours form the last dose of NSAID before giving the first dose of Prednisone.

  11. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

    frankc (11-25-2019), Nancy in New York (11-25-2019), RockyPops (11-24-2019)

  12. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    16,060
    Thanked: 9992

    Default Re: HBC rescue squirrel is spinning/turning in circles.

    Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Dosing sent in a PM, also please note...

    Caution: Prednisone can not be given in conjunction with NSAID drugs (Ibuprofen, Meloxicam, etc.). If she has had an NSAID, please wait 24 hours form the last dose of NSAID before giving the first dose of Prednisone.
    First post:
    Quote Originally Posted by lamb57 View Post
    I gave her some Loxicam
    Is this supposed to be Meloxicam?
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator


  13. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

    frankc (11-25-2019), Spanky (11-24-2019)

  14. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    SC (Madison)
    Posts
    4,575
    Thanked: 4113

    Default Re: HBC rescue squirrel is spinning/turning in circles.

    I included the "caution" in the PM with the dosing instructions, so hopefully if they did give meloxicam they'll hold off 24 hours before the first dose of Pred...

  15. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

    frankc (11-25-2019), Nancy in New York (11-25-2019), stepnstone (11-24-2019)

  16. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    134
    Thanked: 10

    Default Re: HBC rescue squirrel is spinning/turning in circles.

    Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    First post:


    Is this supposed to be Meloxicam?
    Yes it is Meloxicam. I got the notice about waiting 24 hrs.

  17. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to lamb57:

    frankc (11-25-2019), Nancy in New York (11-25-2019), RockyPops (11-25-2019), stepnstone (11-25-2019)

  18. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    SC (Madison)
    Posts
    4,575
    Thanked: 4113

    Default Re: HBC rescue squirrel is spinning/turning in circles.

    Tramadol can be given with prednisone for pain management. If you happen to have access to tramadol, we can assist with dosing.

    The prednisone itself should help relieve some of the pain, but it is her best chance. I have successfully treated treated about several HBC with prednisone but when not given in that 36 - 48 hour window the chance recover starts diminishing quickly.

    Is she seeing a vet today? My vet prefers Dexamethasone generally for head injuries and prednisone for spinal injuries FWIW.

  19. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

    frankc (11-25-2019), Nancy in New York (11-25-2019), RockyPops (11-25-2019)

  20. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    134
    Thanked: 10

    Default Re: HBC rescue squirrel is spinning/turning in circles.

    Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Tramadol can be given with prednisone for pain management. If you happen to have access to tramadol, we can assist with dosing.

    The prednisone itself should help relieve some of the pain, but it is her best chance. I have successfully treated treated about several HBC with prednisone but when not given in that 36 - 48 hour window the chance recover starts diminishing quickly.

    Is she seeing a vet today? My vet prefers Dexamethasone generally for head injuries and prednisone for spinal injuries FWIW.
    I have a little Tramadol so yes send dosing info please. I don't have a Vet that won't charge me an arm and a leg, which right now I cannot afford, and the only other one will want to put her down.

  21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to lamb57 from:

    frankc (11-25-2019)

  22. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    43,428
    Thanked: 20107

    Default Re: HBC rescue squirrel is spinning/turning in circles.

    Quote Originally Posted by lamb57 View Post
    I have a little Tramadol so yes send dosing info please. I don't have a Vet that won't charge me an arm and a leg, which right now I cannot afford, and the only other one will want to put her down.
    What is the strength of the Tramadol?
    Is this pill form or in suspension?

  23. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

    frankc (11-25-2019)

  24. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    134
    Thanked: 10

    Default Re: HBC rescue squirrel is spinning/turning in circles.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    What is the strength of the Tramadol?
    Is this pill form or in suspension?
    Pill and it was a 50 mg but broken into 1/8 for a cat dosage. I have 2 left so 1/4 of 50 mg. .

  25. Serious fuzzy thank you's to lamb57 from:

    frankc (11-25-2019)

  26. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    43,428
    Thanked: 20107

    Default Re: HBC rescue squirrel is spinning/turning in circles.

    Dosing sent in a pm.

  27. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

    frankc (11-25-2019), lamb57 (11-25-2019), Mel1959 (11-26-2019), Spanky (11-25-2019)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •