Thread: Baby Squirrel Constipated

Ashleydunn Guest

Default Baby Squirrel Constipated

I hope I’m wrong and this isn’t life threatening! The little guy has a dried/crusted bottom, and pus is seeping out when I put a warm cloth on it to try to gently clean and soften it. After some time, softly, carefully, the crust came off. Now, his bottom is “open” and super red. It looks unnatural and very concerning to me. I put some Vaseline on it and ran to the internet for help!

History: My dogs alerted me to a baby squirrel in our yard a few days ago. Mom was above squawking loudly. It was 10:00pm and 33degrees outside, so we got some fleece for him to stay cozy while he was down there all alone and waited for her to get him for over an hour, but, nothing, and then we spotted a raccoon making a move... so we got him inside and warm. We had to think fast and google was all over the place on advice, including “let nature take its course with the raccoon.” Sorry, nope. I can’t watch a cockroach die, much less a precious baby squirrel...but, we hope we did the right thing taking him inside away from mom. The next morning, we tried to release him via methods we read about online to his mom. She never showed. We’ve tried several times since then. Nothing.

In the past when I worked at a vet that took wildlife, Puppy milk was what everyone said to use (some still used KMR, but I never did). An old post from this board helped reiterate puppymilk, but I now see the helpful warning on this page about that. Despite the fact that we estimate he’s about 8-10 weeks, we are swapping to the goat milk formula listed here until we can order something or find a rehabber if mom is truly giving up.

Food history: I gave him kale, puppy milk, a few organic craisins, and a little broccoli. Then, I introduced a couple of pecan pieces yesterday and today and 2 small pieces of butternut squash. To be clear, I hoped this was temporary and mom would claim him.

I am more than committed to helping this guy, and now that I am feeling like mom isn’t coming back, I a) want to get this issue with his bottom settled, and b) want a longer-term healthy rehab situation for him, whether with me or an expert. I am known as the pet person in our area—plenty of bottle babies of the puppy and kitten variety, and I’ve whelped more litters than I can count, but wildlife/squirrels are a much more delicate area. I want what is best for this little life, and I’m more than comfortable admitting that, if I’m not the best person for this, I’ll happily give this guy to an experienced rehabber, but the two listed nearby are ones I’m familiar with and would NEVER take an animal to. I’m in the Atlanta area, and, yes, it’s not legal for me to have him without a license, I know that. I was hoping to get him back to mom...

I’m really concerned about him. He was moderately okay being around me the past couple of days. He seemed to know I was caring for him; he wasn’t attached to me, but he was comfortable with me and knew I brought food. Today, he’s freaking out, panicked seeming, trying to hide and get away. He seems very unsettled, which I can’t help but wonder if it’s connected to him not feeling well—assuming he isn’t feeling well. Please help!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Ashleydunn:

Rocky1 (11-24-2019), RockyPops (11-21-2019)

Default Re: Baby Squirrel Constipated

Thank you for helping this baby!

Can you get a close up of the area in question and post it?

Also a weight could prove useful if meds are needed.

He looks healthy otherwise.

Someone with more knowledge than I will chime in with more info.

Ashleydunn Guest

He almost looks embarrassed ☺️ I should add: he has the option of a nest on a heating pad on low and the room is warm. He prefers the nest not on the heating pad. Also, I am trying to get pedialyte into him. He is NOT interested in it. I have added a little to his formula. This pic is after cleaning with a warm cloth and with Vaseline on it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Ashleydunn from:

RockyPops (11-22-2019)

That does look rough. He may need AB. Can you get a weight?

Also, I don't think you should mix Pedialyte w formula. Give them separately and pedialyte is for short term use I believe.

I think keeping it clean and open is correct so he dosen't get stopped up.

Someone with more knowledge will chime in soon.

Thanks for the pic and helping him!

Edit: Also, is he pooping ok?

There is not really a puppy formula that can be purchased off-the-shelf anymore that meets the nutritional needs of squirrels. We stopped using / recommending Esbilac this fall because of changes the manufacturer made which caused damage and deaths to countless baby squirrels. Many will cause this type of GI issue / diarrhea. You can use the following off-0the-shelf recipe:

Update 10/02/2019
    As a result of the Esbilac fiasco the following is a "permanent" formula for use for babies up to 4 weeks old.

hGMF+ (Homemade Goat's Milk Formula Plus (Not temporary, for use in babies up to 4 weeks)):

• 3 parts Goat's Milk
    • 3 parts plain yogurt
    • 2 parts heavy cream
    • 1 Egg Yolk for per cup of formula

Fox Valley 20/50 is the optimal formula for a baby this age along with rodent blocks. Both can be bought on-line at Henry's Healthy Pet (they make a rodent block specifically for squirrels... this is a supplement that requires they eat only 2 - 3 blocks a day).

https://www.henryspets.com/squirrel-diet/
    https://www.henryspets.com/fox-valley-formulas/

Henry's also has a 6 page tutorial on baby squirrel care you may find helpful.
    https://www.henryspets.com/1-caring-...baby-squirrel/

I am on Lake Hartwell, not terribly far from my prior home in Alpharetta. I'd be happy to help with this baby (overwintering, releasing, whatever).

8. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

frankc (11-22-2019), HRT4SQRLS (11-22-2019), Mel1959 (11-22-2019), Nancy in New York (11-22-2019), RockyPops (11-22-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Ashleydunn View Post
    He almost looks embarrassed ☺️ I should add: he has the option of a nest on a heating pad on low and the room is warm. He prefers the nest not on the heating pad. Also, I am trying to get pedialyte into him. He is NOT interested in it. I have added a little to his formula. This pic is after cleaning with a warm cloth and with Vaseline on it.
    OK, sore looking but nice and open now. I believe he got diarrhea or even just mushy poop which basically dried like plaster and closed his anus off. Now that it is gone and the plug that would have been in there appears to also be gone, and YOU to watch the area and gently wipe it clean with clear water if it gets mucky again he should do well. The swelling will subside.

Exactly what formula is he eating now? Do not mix pedialyte and formula. Since he doesn't want to drink it alone, try discontinuing the pedialyte and see if he likes WARM water with just a touch of honey in it. If he does, give him a syringe or two BETWEEN feedings.

Don't give craisins for all sorts of reasons (sticky skins can cause choking, lots of sugar). Also, don't introduce nuts yet. You want this baby eating a good quality block like the Henry's well before he ever gets to know nuts exist, and then they should be an occasional treat, not a staple.

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

frankc (11-22-2019), RockyPops (11-22-2019)

Ashleydunn Guest

Thank you all so much!

I read on this board about 2 days ago regarding the Esbilac issue. It scared me and made me so sad to think of all of the deaths caused by this. Reminds me of when peanut butter companies suddenly added xylitol to their products and countless dogs suffered. Terrible how this happened!

Since I read about the Esbilac issue, I purchased ingredients for the goats milk formula. I removed craisins—he wouldn’t eat them anyway. I was just trying to find something I had to give this little guy. I read about nuts being a bad idea bc they prefer them and won’t eat other healthy things, so I only have a few, but hoped that by the time a rodent block arrived, mom would have gotten him. I also read (I was up all night with him) about the issues with pedialyte in formula. It’s not quite as intense, but similar with bottle baby kittens, so I only added a tiny amount. I’ll try the warm water with a Touch of honey! That is really helpful!

Spanky, I would LOVE that! I want what’s best for the guys and have no experience with the “overwintering”.

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Ashleydunn:

Mel1959 (11-22-2019), RockyPops (11-22-2019)

Thank you all so much!

I read on this board about 2 days ago regarding the Esbilac issue. It scared me and made me so sad to think of all of the deaths caused by this. Reminds me of when peanut butter companies suddenly added xylitol to their products and countless dogs suffered. Terrible how this happened!

Since I read about the Esbilac issue, I purchased ingredients for the goats milk formula. I removed craisins—he wouldn’t eat them anyway. I was just trying to find something I had to give this little guy. I read about nuts being a bad idea bc they prefer them and won’t eat other healthy things, so I only have a few, but hoped that by the time a rodent block arrived, mom would have gotten him. I also read (I was up all night with him) about the issues with pedialyte in formula. It’s not quite as intense, but similar with bottle baby kittens, so I only added a tiny amount. I’ll try the warm water with a Touch of honey! That is really helpful!

Spanky, I would LOVE that! I want what’s best for the guys and have no experience with the “overwintering”.
    Spanky will have buddies for this little guy. What a perfect situation!

14. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

frankc (11-22-2019), RockyPops (11-22-2019)

I sent a PM with my telephone number...

16. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

frankc (11-22-2019), Grinderhead (11-22-2019), Mel1959 (11-22-2019), Nancy in New York (11-22-2019), RockyPops (11-22-2019), stepnstone (11-22-2019)

Your Amazing Spanky !!
    Squirrels Do Matter

If you Were Lucky Enough To Have Loved and Taken Care Of A Squirrel Then
    You Showed Him Or Her More Love Than They Would Have Ever Known In The Wild
    __________________________________________________ ______________________
    Member Of WRAM ( Wildlife Rehabbers association Massachusetts)

18. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to frankc:

Nancy in New York (11-22-2019), RockyPops (11-22-2019)

Ashleydunn Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    I sent a PM with my telephone number...
    Awesome! Thank you all! I also feel bad for him being all alone, so I’m really excited he will have buddies 💗 Spanky, replying!

20. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Ashleydunn:

frankc (11-22-2019), RockyPops (11-22-2019), stepnstone (11-22-2019)

Members who have read this thread: 1