Thread: 14 week old brother and sister southern flyiers

Default 14 week old brother and sister southern flyiers

Ok I have a 5 year old female we got from some people who tore down a old deck years ago and shes been a great part of our family, but here back in Sept. got a call someone cut down a tree and destroyed a flyer nest and had taken the babies and didnt know what to do with them so we stepped in and took them, both did great but female ended up with AP and was touch and go for a couple of days but she rebounded with treatment and shes doing GREAT!!

Got them a new double decker cage, cut down a whole tree and made them their own jungle. LOL But I really don't want to commit them to a cage their whole life, So talked to Henrys Pets who helped with the AP and she said they weren't old enough and needed to winter. So we have them for Wintering but I have never raised two to be released.
    I haven't put them with PIPPY because she seems to take real offense to them and stamps her feet and shakes so I wanted to take no risk trying to see what they would do together so they just get to see each other through the bars.

I have seen where people here do know how to do the correct release and want them in groups so didn't know if we might should try to find someone who has a young group that might be best to put these with and have them winter together and bond so that in the spring they are a family that has already bonded.

Please give me some feedback on what would be best for them. I don't mind the money have already got them the new cage, just got another 3 bags of Blocks from henrys and 1000 live meal worms and new pouch of formula so good to go!

Ive attached a couple pictures the real close up is of my baby girl PIPPY whose 5.

Thanks so much!
    Marc
    Attached Images Attached Images      

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to marcm1 from:

RockyPops (11-21-2019)

Default Re: 14 week old brother and sister southern flyiers

There are people on TSB that specialize in flyers. Keep checking back here. They will see your post.

Thanks for stepping in to help these babies!

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RockyPops from:

frankc (11-23-2019)

Hi Marcm1 -

I have a group (colony) of flyers I am overwintering for a Spring release. I am located on Lake Hartwell... I took my grandkids to Great Wolf Lodge in LaGrange last year and if memory serves it was about a 3 hour drive? I could be happy to incorporate these 2 into that family...

6. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

frankc (11-22-2019), Mel1959 (11-22-2019), Nancy in New York (11-22-2019), RockyPops (11-22-2019), stepnstone (11-22-2019)

Question does it matter that they are from further south as far as their survival rate if they were to come up to you, also how does it work on putting them in with the ones you have is there any possibility of fighting or hurting one another?

Sorry about the questions just want to make sure they are safe, and wintering and releasing them is this something you have done and do on a regular bases.

Marc

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to marcm1 from:

RockyPops (11-22-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by marcm1 View Post
    Question does it matter that they are from further south as far as their survival rate if they were to come up to you, also how does it work on putting them in with the ones you have is there any possibility of fighting or hurting one another?
    The 125 miles or so I do not think significant. If it were going from Florida to N. GA or N. GA to Ohio or something, that may be a different story. I can tell you having lived in Atlanta for a decade that the area I live now is actually milder than Atlanta (not as cold in the winter, not as hot in the summer).

Sorry about the questions just want to make sure they are safe, and wintering and releasing them is this something you have done and do on a regular bases.

Marc
    I deal with many more grey squirrels than flyers on a more regular basis... every season (so 2X a year) for about 6 years now (gosh, time flies!) and less regularly for a few years before that. I do not specialize in flyers, but I have experience... Not as many flyers come my way as greys. I'd say it about half the time I seek out and turn over flyers to other rehabbers that have a larger group for release and half the time I need to build up the colony myself being unable to find other groups (and rehabbers I trust) to take and release the flyers that do come my way. For me, it is just a matter of doing what's best for the babies. This year, as unbelievable as it is to me, it seems everyone around here has already released the fall 2019 baby flyers... no way the babies I have are old enough so it's a weird year for me. This season I find myself in the position of building a colony for release in the Spring... and this would be the 5th group of flyers I have released myself (versus sending flyers to other colonies). I have probably cared for upwards of 3 dozens flyers over the years. Had one that was 8grams when it arrived and was a huge challenge!

Hope that helps.

PS I also have a 6 year old female flyer whose original owner was a HS student that abandoned her when she was about 2 1/2 years when they went off to college.

10. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

frankc (11-23-2019), RockyPops (11-22-2019), stepnstone (11-22-2019)

Hey Spanky,

Sounds great, how do you know they will get along together or being young that isn't a problem like having the older squirrels? Pippy we have had since about 4 weeks old and shes a princess! LOL

I take it you feed them all squirrel blocks, I guess the other question is when, how and where would we get together to get you the babies?

Marc

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to marcm1 from:

RockyPops (11-23-2019)

Hey Spanky,

Sounds great, how do you know they will get along together or being young that isn't a problem like having the older squirrels? Pippy we have had since about 4 weeks old and shes a princess! LOL

I take it you feed them all squirrel blocks, I guess the other question is when, how and where would we get together to get you the babies?

Marc
    I have never had an issue integrating baby flyers.... by babies I mean anything up to a year old. I have actually had fall babies I over-wintered because they were girls and the following Spring integrated them with Spring babies (after they were about 8 weeks old if memory serves) that included boys and they did terrific and were released successfully.

The only squirrel that has never "integrated" is my older girl Rocky. Like your Pippy, she did not appreciate the new comers... stomped her feet, squabbled at them but never anything serious. We have a separate "flyer room" to keep the flyers separate from the greys, and so each can have out-of-cage time without invading the other's space (grey versus flyer). The most serious issue was that Rockie was unhappy with me and gets a little more bitey (and draws blood) during the baby season and there are intruders (LoL) in "her" room. Squabbles were often during out of cage time when the newbies would jump / glide onto me and Rocky would chase them off. Pee on me, then bite me hard to let me know her displeasure.

Rocky has her own cage, her own wheel and her own outside of her cage "nests" and perches... she pretty much sits on high perches (her favorite is a chin up bar high on a wall that was there since we, um, repurposed the room?) and scorns at the "children" playing. When I see her like that I imagine she is counting down the days to release and when she will once again reign unchallenged and undisturbed in her personal Kingdom. Pippy may be a Princess, but here at Sandy's Sanctuary, Rockie is the Queen of Flyers! LoL

Yes, to block (HHB). All my kids love their HHB and I do not hand out very many nuts to squirrels that will be released until they have moved to the release cage. Nuts just make it harder to maintain healthy diets, often cause (nut) aggression (which is maybe useful once they are in the RC?). Night-night snacks are dried, unsweetened banana chips... and my crews loves them like they are nuts!

I will send a PM with my contact info.

14. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Mel1959 (11-23-2019), RockyPops (11-23-2019)