Thread: I think my 4 month old grey squirrel is sick need to know with what and how to treat

Squirrelagirl Guest

Default I think my 4 month old grey squirrel is sick need to know with what and how to treat

My 4 month old squirrel, Squirrelagirl, has been making this constant noise for almost 5 days now I don't know if it's a cough, a sneeze, or just a noise but I'm conserned. She still isn't weaned and I've listened to her breathing to see if any fluid is in her lungs but they sound clear. The best way I can describe it is like a "tsk" noise. She's eating good active and playful. This is my first time raising a squirrel and I really love her and want to make sure that she's happy and healthy

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Squirrelagirl:

frankc (11-25-2019), RockyPops (11-20-2019)

Default Re: I think my 4 month old grey squirrel is sick need to know with what and how to tr

Could you post up a video? That would be really helpful. What does her diet consist of besides formula?

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelagirl View Post
    My 4 month old squirrel, Squirrelagirl, has been making this constant noise for almost 5 days now I don't know if it's a cough, a sneeze, or just a noise but I'm conserned. She still isn't weaned and I've listened to her breathing to see if any fluid is in her lungs but they sound clear. The best way I can describe it is like a "tsk" noise. She's eating good active and playful. This is my first time raising a squirrel and I really love her and want to make sure that she's happy and healthy
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

RockyPops (11-20-2019)

Squirrelagirl Guest

Default Re: I think my 4 month old grey squirrel is sick need to know with what and how to tr

She eats rodent block, pea pods, grapes, seeds, nuts, corn, treats...i don't know how to Post a video on this site

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Squirrelagirl:

frankc (11-25-2019), RockyPops (11-20-2019)

You post your video to YouTube first. Then post the link to the video in your post on this board.

I've noticed squirrels making a slight snorting, sneezing type sound. I think it has something to do with scents. They have a very strong sense of smell.

Could this be what your hearing?

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RockyPops from:

frankc (11-25-2019)

Squirrelagirl Guest

Omg...i was doing some research online and it says that sniffing and sneezing(which compared to videos that i watched in YouTube) is what she's doing. It says that these are symptoms of malocclusion. How can I tell if this is the problem? She eats and drinks fine but constantly gnaws on everything...how do I know? And if not malocclusion, what is wrong with her??

Squirrelagirl Guest

Its less a sneeze and more a "pfft"

Which formula are you giving? They do make that sort of noise sometimes. Pics of her teeth would help rule out malocclusion
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

12. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SammysMom:

frankc (11-21-2019), RockyPops (11-21-2019), stepnstone (11-21-2019)

Squirrelagirl Guest

What’s the best way to get her to let me look at her teeth...she’s really fast and jumpy and she really doesn’t like her about being touched

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Squirrelagirl from:

RockyPops (11-25-2019)

Squirrelagirl Guest

Could someone send me a pic of how her teeth should look?

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Squirrelagirl from:

RockyPops (11-25-2019)

Squirrelagirl Guest

I was giving her GME with heavy whipping cream added but she finally stopped taking milk a few days ago

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Squirrelagirl from:

RockyPops (11-25-2019)

Best way to look at her teeth is to wrap her up in a towel like a squirrel burrito so she cannot move, with her eyes covered and just her nose sticking out.
    Place her on her back in your lap using your legs and a hand to hold her in place. Having her head lower than her butt seems to make them move less.
    Then slip a chopstick or paintbrush handle sideways into her mouth like a horse bit, behind the bottom teeth. (She will not like this)
    Pull downwards behind the teeth to expose them, and see how long they are, and if they line up with the upper teeth.
    Also look to see if their is any sign of irritation or cutting to the upper lip, and if the upper teeth are straight and not curved inward.
    Each pair of teeth should be the same length. If one is growing and the other is not it is a sign of odontoma (a broken root with tissue or tumor blocking growth)
    A squirrel with odontoma or malocclusion cannot be released... the teeth will quickly grow until they cause a wound, infection, and then death. They have to get their teeth trimmed regularly.

You use this same method to trim teeth.
    After positioning the chopstick or dowel, you cut the teeth with jeweler's cutter, at a 45 degree downward angle towards the tongue.
    I use the dowel as a safety stop for the cutter.
    You cut both teeth with one snip.

20. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Javarat:

frankc (11-25-2019), RockyPops (11-25-2019)

Thank you squirrelagirl for helping your baby. Sometimes they're a pain but...

they're worth it!

22. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RockyPops from:

frankc (11-25-2019)

Squirrelagirl Guest

Im going to try to examine her teeth as soon as she wakes up... she hasn’t really been making that noise at all for the past 3 days but I’m still going to check her teeth ASAP. I love her and if there’s something I can do to make her feel good or more comfortable I’m going to do it.

24. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Squirrelagirl from:

RockyPops (11-25-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelagirl View Post
    She eats rodent block, pea pods, grapes, seeds, nuts, corn, treats...i don't know how to Post a video on this site
    Seeds, nuts and corn are treats and should be very limited. Not a part of their regular diet. Think of those as cotton candy... a toddler can have cotton candy occasionally, but you'd feed it to them on a daily basis with each meal.

Here is the healthy squirrel diet pyramid:
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels

26. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

RockyPops (11-26-2019)