Thread: Hi

epk123 Guest

Default Hi

Hi,
    I'm new here. Just want to introduce myself and my orphaned squirrel, Rocky. We think Rocky is about 13 weeks old and I've had him since he was 5-6 weeks old. I started him on Fox Valley formula and Henry's healthy blocks, picky blocks and as many veggies as I can get him to eat. He doesn't want the formula at all anymore. He's a feisty little bugger! I've tried not to handle him too much but it's getting harder and harder as he's lonely and wants someone to play with. He has a room to himself with a potted ficus tree and lot's of things to jump around on but he still prefers me. I've learned I'll need to overwinter him here in Maryland and do a slow release in spring.
    If anyone has any tips, recommendations, etc on keeping him engaged without too much human play, let me know.
    Thanks!

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to epk123:

frankc (11-19-2019), RockyPops (11-19-2019)

Default Re: Hi

Welcome to The Squirrel Board

It sounds like you’re doing a great job. Thanks for doing your research. As I’m sure you have already figured out overwintering squirrels is a HUGE job. They get bored and destructive. Make sure grandmas antique desk isn’t in Rocky’s room. if you have curtain rods over the windows you could hang a blanket so that Rocky will have a climbing wall. Is the ficus real or fake? They like ropes. A cheap bookcase could be used as a play station by cutting holes into the shelves with a 3 inch hole saw. If you do this make SURE you anchor it to the wall. If it turned over it could be deadly. I have seen things like that on the Nextdoor neighbor app for free or very cheap.

Put an inshell nut in a paper towel roll and roll the ends. They will spend hours (or minutes ) trying to get the nut out. Occasionally a roll of toilet paper �� is a big delight. Uhm... it is messy.

On eBay you can buy 7ft cat trees. Wait until they are cheap. I pay around $50. They love these.

Edit... here is one on Amazon. You might find one cheaper.
    https://www.amazon.com/Go-Pet-Club-8...207327&sr=8-28

4. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

frankc (11-19-2019), Mel1959 (11-19-2019), RockyPops (11-19-2019), UwantSomaThis (11-19-2019)

Hello epk123!

Welcome to the squirrel board. You've come to the right place for lots of info and help with furry little critters!

Thank you for caring for your baby Rocky. I had a Rocky myself not to long ago.

Would love some pics and videos if you have them.

They do love to play and I don't think interaction with them is a bad thing. And overwintering is the right thing to do in your climate.

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to RockyPops:

frankc (11-19-2019), Nancy in New York (11-19-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by epk123 View Post
    Hi,
    I'm new here. Just want to introduce myself and my orphaned squirrel, Rocky. We think Rocky is about 13 weeks old and I've had him since he was 5-6 weeks old. I started him on Fox Valley formula and Henry's healthy blocks, picky blocks and as many veggies as I can get him to eat. He doesn't want the formula at all anymore. He's a feisty little bugger! I've tried not to handle him too much but it's getting harder and harder as he's lonely and wants someone to play with. He has a room to himself with a potted ficus tree and lot's of things to jump around on but he still prefers me. I've learned I'll need to overwinter him here in Maryland and do a slow release in spring.
    If anyone has any tips, recommendations, etc on keeping him engaged without too much human play, let me know.
    Thanks!
    I'm presently doing and have done my share of raising and overwintering singletons, singles need our interaction and look forward to play /their time.
    A proper release done right these babies natural instincts start taking over pretty quickly once in a pre release outdoors (soft release) cage.
    After a substantial period of time once released within a few days if they hang around, most of us are lucky if they will even come near us.
    There has been exceptions but for the most part a squirrel is a squirrel and it's instincts are hard wired to be the wild it was meant to be.
    In my experience interacting with a singleton helps them to develop their senses and agility. Isolation could cause them to become anxious,
    moody, even depressed.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

8. 8 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Anne (11-20-2019), Grinderhead (11-19-2019), island rehabber (11-23-2019), Mel1959 (11-19-2019), Nancy in New York (11-20-2019), RockyPops (11-19-2019), SugarMom (11-20-2019), UwantSomaThis (11-19-2019)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.