Thread: CBD Oil for neuro baby

Default CBD Oil for neuro baby

Hello TSB, I'm working with a little one with neurological issues. He is not balanced/can't walk straight and his head periodically rotates to one side like he is in a mini trance. Then he snaps out - just lasts a few seconds. My guess is he bumped his head when he fell from the dray - his siblings are all just fine. Anyway, I read on another squirrel related site that CBD oil is helpful for neuro babies. I never got an answer as to how it might help. Wondering if you guys have any thougts. I'm sure it's a controversial treatment, but I've heard it does wonders for other animals and people.
    Thank you.

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to tgramsey:

frankc (11-25-2019), RockyPops (11-16-2019)

Default Re: CBD Oil for neuro baby

Have you treated this little one with prednisone? That is a tried and true treatment for neuro squirrels. I think you should try to locate some prednisone and someone on here can help you dose it.

As you said CBD is controversial and although I have heard good things about it I have never heard of anyone using it for neuro issues.

Please try to locate the prednisone. It is a proven anti-inflammatory.

Those little trances you speak of could be minor seizures and may get worse.

4. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

frankc (11-16-2019), RockyPops (11-16-2019), SammysMom (11-16-2019), stepnstone (11-16-2019), tgramsey (11-16-2019)

Hello and thanks for answering. I haven't tried prednisone, but he was on metacam for a while. I didn't see any progress - but didn't know how much progress to expect, really. I actually started him on it again a few days ago. He saw a traditional vet and metacam was the treatment suggested. He couldn't give advice on CBD but said he heard good things as well -- not about squirrels, but for dogs, cats, etc. Question for you, please - Is metacam just as good as prednisone in these instances, from your experience? It's mainly to help with seizures due to inflammation?

Also, are the any other treatments I should try?

Thank you!

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to tgramsey:

frankc (11-25-2019), RockyPops (11-16-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by tgramsey View Post
    Question for you, please - Is metacam just as good as prednisone in these instances, from your experience? It's mainly to help with seizures due to inflammation?

Prednisone or dexamethasone (both are steroids) are is the best treatment for spine and head injuries. They are heavy duty anti-inflammatory medications. Reducing the swelling can sometimes relieve the pressure being exerted on parts of the brain or spine that could be cause fo the paralysis / neuro symptoms.

Metacam is an NSAID (
    NonSteroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drug), so it does have anti-inflammatory proproties but not to the same degree as the prednisone.

Caution: Prednisone (and dexamethasone) cannot be given together with NSAIDs like Metacam. The first dose of prednisone should be at least 24 hours after the last dose of metacam (and vice versa).

If you can locate some prednisone, and tell us the weight of the squirrel, someone will send you dosing instructions (doses are weight based).

8. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Mel1959 (11-16-2019), Nancy in New York (11-16-2019), RockyPops (11-16-2019), tgramsey (11-16-2019)

Thanks. I'll ask the vet if he will give me a prescription. Don't know if he will, but I'll try. Thank you.

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to tgramsey from:

RockyPops (11-16-2019)

I wanted to chime in on this because I have had several neuro babies and prednisone was the answer. It improved them soo much. One of my neuro babies Alex could not even sit up but after months of treatment with prednisone he was siting up holding food and eating on his own. So yes I agree prednisone is best treatment for Neurological issues. I have always seen great results with it in all my neuro babies. It will not cure the issue if there is permanent brain damage but it can help improve it. Also cbd oil helps with pain and anxiety type things. I have used it in my animals. But only for those reasons.
    Last edited by island rehabber; 11-17-2019 at 08:12 AM.

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to jbtartell:

RockyPops (11-16-2019), tgramsey (11-17-2019)

Hi, thanks for sharing your experience. So you will give Alex prednisone for the life of his life, is that correct?

Quote Originally Posted by jbtartell View Post
    I wanted to chime in on this because I have had several Nero babies and prednisone was the answer. It improved them soo much. One of my Nero babies Alex could not even sit up but after months of treatment with prednisone he was siting up holding food and eating on his own. So yes I agree prednisone is best treatment for Neurological issues. I have always seen great results with it in all my Nero babies. It will not cure the issue if there is permanent brain damage but it can help improve it. Also cbd oil helps with pain and anxiety type things. I have used it in my animals. But only for those reasons.

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to tgramsey from:

RockyPops (11-17-2019)

Hi, thanks for sharing your experience. So you will give Alex prednisone for the life of his life, is that correct?
    Yes Alex was on it his whole life as wel as the others he did well on it. He lived to be 5 and passed on from a seizure. I got him as a baby and the prednisone helped him soo much. Vets would want him to be weened but every time he went backwards but with in a few days after starting back he would be better. The others lived a long life too considering being Nero. Alex was one of the worse cases I have seen. But he was Soo lovable and great personality. And was very smart. Every animal I have had that came in Nero I always start prednisone. Alex was tried on a new medicine and it was helping him but I was worried it is what caused the seizure or it was being of prednisone. His posts are here. Under sweet alex
    Last edited by island rehabber; 11-17-2019 at 08:11 AM. Reason: just keeping things clear :)

16. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to jbtartell:

RockyPops (11-17-2019), tgramsey (11-17-2019)

Thanks. Sure hope the vet will give me a prescription.

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to tgramsey from:

RockyPops (11-17-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by jbtartell View Post
    Yes Alex was on it his whole life as wel as the others he did well on it. He lived to be 5 and passed on from a seizure. I got him as a baby and the prednisone helped him soo much. Vets would want him to be weened but every time he went backwards but with in a few days after starting back he would be better. The others lived a long life too considering being Nero. Alex was one of the worse cases I have seen. But he was Soo lovable and great personality. And was very smart. Every animal I have had that came in Nero I always start prednisone. Alex was tried on a new medicine and it was helping him but I was worried it is what caused the seizure or it was being of prednisone. His posts are here. Under sweet alex
    I made a mistake with his age he was 2ish. I was confused. I’ve had and have quite a few nr babies. I get confused with ages till I look back. But he did live longer than vet gave him. And prednisone helped so much.

20. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to jbtartell:

RockyPops (11-18-2019), tgramsey (11-19-2019)

Hi, a quick update. The vet isn't comfortable giving me prednisone for my neuro baby since he is not a wildlife expert. I don't have any to just try it out and see how it might work. I've had it for my dogs in the past, but none left. Is there anything else I might try? Holistic, etc? Thank you

22. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to tgramsey:

frankc (11-25-2019), RockyPops (11-25-2019)

Hi, a quick update. The vet isn't comfortable giving me prednisone for my neuro baby since he is not a wildlife expert. I don't have any to just try it out and see how it might work. I've had it for my dogs in the past, but none left.
    Is there anything else I might try? Holistic, etc? Thank you
    Nothing that is going to compare...
    Have you tried family or friends, you might be surprised what script someone may have had and not finished.
    Do you know of any asthmatics? Prednisone is the go to med for asthma.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

24. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

RockyPops (11-26-2019), tgramsey (11-25-2019)

I'll ask around. Thank you.

26. Serious fuzzy thank you's to tgramsey from:

RockyPops (11-26-2019)

Send me your address in a private message and I will send you some prednisone pills. Someone on here will be able to help you with dosing.

28. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

RockyPops (11-26-2019), tgramsey (11-26-2019)

Default Re: CBD Oil for neuro baby/ Prednisone dose

Hi everyone,
    I now have some 1 mg prednisone pills. The neuro baby is 505 grams. Can you guys please help me with dosing using a 1 ml syringe? How much and how often? Assume I'll dissolve in water, right?

Also, if this med will make a difference, how soon might I see improvement?

Thank you!

30. Serious fuzzy thank you's to tgramsey from:

RockyPops (12-02-2019)

Dosing sent in a pm.

32. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

RockyPops (12-02-2019)