Thread: Peanuts

Default Peanuts

Hi Everyone. While doing some research I came across this article that I thought might be of interest.

DANGERS OF FEEDING RAW PEANUTS TO SQUIRRELS
    Feeding raw peanuts to squirrels and other animals can have serious consequences. The results can even be fatal if peanuts compose a large and constant part of the diet.

Peanuts are a legume, not a true nut, and when raw they contain a trypsin inhibitor, a substance that inhibits or prevents the pancreas from producing trypsin which is an enzyme essential for the absorption of protein by the intestine. While the exact relationship between the trypsin inhibitor and malnutrition in rodents is not fully understood, the detrimental effects have been documented since 1917. Thus squirrels fed a steady diet of raw peanuts could easily develop severe malnutrition, and works such as The Backyard Naturalist by Craig Tufts specify the use of roasted peanuts.

According to the Washington State Cooperative Extension Service, roasting hulled raw peanuts for twenty to thirty minutes at 300 degrees Fahrenheit, stirring them frequently, will destroy the trypsin inhibitor and render the peanuts suitable for use as feed.

Similar cautions also apply to the use of sweet potatoes and to other raw legumes such as soybeans which are sometimes recommended as food for squirrels and which contain trypsin inhibitors.

Of course salted nuts of any kind should never be fed to wild creatures.

For further information consult sources such as Food Chemistry, edited by Owen R. Fennema or Animal Nutrition by Leonard A. Maynard et al.

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to frankc:

Mel1959 (11-13-2019), RockyPops (11-13-2019)

Default Re: Peanuts

Hi Everyone
    [I] am posting an update to the article I posted above. I contacted Hampton Farms In NC to try to find out what there process of roasting peanuts is. I quoted from the article the temps and times.
    This is a copy of the reply I just received.

Thank you for contacting Hampton Farms
    Inbox
    x

Goldie Potter <gpotter@hamptonfarms.com>
    3:58 PM (46 minutes ago)
    to me

Hello Frank,

I was waiting for a response from the person I asked about this but they are on vacation.

I never knew this! I talk to many people that feed their wild squirrels our raw peanuts. A lot do buy unsalted and roasted but most purchase raw.

Now mine eat cat food, bread or whatever may be out on the porch or tossed in the yard! J

I can’t tell you our exact temperatures and times due to privacy issues but I can assure you we process our peanuts in temps and times above like ones you mentioned so they will be perfectly safe for your furry friends.

Have a great weekend and keep up the good work!

Goldie

Goldie Potter

Customer Relations Coordinator

Hampton Farms

Severn, NC

1-800-642-4064 Ext 258
    Squirrels Do Matter

If you Were Lucky Enough To Have Loved and Taken Care Of A Squirrel Then
    You Showed Him Or Her More Love Than They Would Have Ever Known In The Wild
    __________________________________________________ ______________________
    Member Of WRAM ( Wildlife Rehabbers association Massachusetts)

Ok. Just got a second update from Hampton Farms about there peanut process Hope this helps !

Goldie Potter <gpotter@hamptonfarms.com>
    4:57 PM (55 minutes ago)
    to me

That is really interesting! When you get time, you can send me the link, I’d like to read it. And I can tell the customers that call in and tell me stories of their squirrels about this.

We have our roasters validated to prove our time and temps kill any bacteria that may be in or on the peanuts (ex. salmonella) We pull samples at random and have them tested to ensure we are operating like we should and within our specs. Our temps are times are monitered 2 times per hour to make sure we are staying the specs we were validated at. The longer times and higher temperatures would be killing that also like you say.

Have a great weekend!

Goldie Potter

Customer Relations Coordinator

Hampton Farms

Severn, NC

1-800-642-4064 Ext 258
    Squirrels Do Matter

Interesting read for sure! Thank you for the info and the updates. So...is Goldie saying they actually treat their “raw” peanuts to near roasted quality anyway? Down here in Arkansas I know several people buying peanut hay...it is what is left over after the processor gets most of the peanuts off. It is then round baled and sold as cattle feed. Those peanuts are about as raw as you can get...but I will say they don’t taste like “store bought” “raw” peanuts.

Good Morning. Yes Goldie stated that there process is well above the standard of making peanuts safe for feed. In the first article I posted it is part of a study done on peanuts, it states that peanuts should be roasted at 300 degrees for twenty to 30 minutes to remove or kill the Trypsin Inhibitor. Trypsin is the culprit in peanuts that stops the pancreas from producing protein that is essential to the calcium needed in squirrels, otherwise resulting in MBD from the lack of calcium if feed in large quantities. she (Goldie) also stated that they have a very rigorous quality control in there peanut process, not only do they destroy the Trypsin, but also any toxins, salmonella ect;

She could not give me the exact info I requested about roasting temp or times, I was told it is a company secret, and I understand that.
    But she said it far exceeds the the 300 degrees and time of 20 to 30 minutes. The study article also said that the 300 degrees, roasting for 20 to 30 minutes made peanuts safe as feed. There peanuts brand is Hampton Farms made in NC. As we all know peanuts have no nutritional value whats so ever, it is a candy to squirrels, But I was concerned about giving my back yard babies anything that might hurt them so I decided to investigate and this is what I came up with. Goldie was very thankful, for the information and wanted more reference so I forward it to her and she was very excited to be able to say they exceed the studies recommendation for safe peanuts. I myself feel much better giving my backyard friends a few peanuts now. I hope this helped.

Note: The peanuts in question here are shelled peanuts, no salt, I guess you could say dry roasted.
    Last edited by frankc; 11-25-2019 at 08:31 AM. Reason: To add a note
    Squirrels Do Matter

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to frankc from:

Timberbeast (11-25-2019)