Thread: Feeding a healthy Grey Albino - any problem with that - and diet questions

swbca Guest

Default Feeding a healthy Grey Albino - any problem with that - and diet questions

The grey albino squirrel in our neighborhood is a novelty and every family has a name for him. For the last several weeks I have been feeding him unsalted almonds walnuts and peanuts intended for humans. Plus acorns we have collected at another location. He takes them from me at my Kitchen window sill. We are not always around, so he isn't overly dependent on us. A problem with this ? Should we be feeding him something else, or stop feeding the nuts I have mentioned ?

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to swbca from:

RockyPops (11-12-2019)

Default Re: Feeding a healthy Grey Albino - any problem with that - and diet questions

No, many of us feed the wild squirrels. The fact that you live in Minnesota with such brutal winters, I’m sure all the squirrels could use some extra help with food throughout the winter. Of the nuts you mentioned, almonds are the healthiest....peanuts the worst. I will caution you on the acorns. If acorns sit or get frozen they can mold and it can be deadly to squirrels. I would think a wild squirrel would know the difference and not eat it if it wasn’t good. I could be wrong, so I hope someone who knows will respond.

There are healthy items that most wild squirrels will eat if you are willing to provide them. My yard squirrels will readily eat fresh avocado chunks (no skin or pit), chunks of fresh coconut, and pieces of fresh corn. I dust the corn with calcium carbonate powder because corn is really not so healthy for them....but they love it. . I also buy rodent block, grind it into a powder and add baby food and other ingredients and then make it into balls. They’re called boo balls and there’s a lot of variations of the recipe in the squirrel nutrition section on this forum. All of the yard squirrels love them and it makes me happy to know that they are getting something healthy along with the nuts I also feed.

Thank you for looking out for your unusual friend.

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

frankc (11-13-2019), RockyPops (11-12-2019)

Default Re: Feeding a healthy Grey Albino - any problem with that - and diet questions

Would love to see some pics and/or video of him!

Thanks!

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RockyPops from:

frankc (11-13-2019)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.