Thread: Picky Squirrels

Default Picky Squirrels

Hi Everyone.
    I need some suggestions. I have four young back yard squirrels that I feed, or try too anyway. They have become my little babies The issue is all they want is roasted unsalted peanuts.

I bought some special mix called veggie squares that are not commerley made but rather by a long time very reliable squirrel rehabber from Ohio. This mix contains every single nutrient a squirrel needs for a whole day.
    You make the mix yourself by adding like baby food fruit or whatever your squirrels like. One package will make about 100 squares and you give them one a day. OK Now they will not eat them so I know rodent blocks would be out. The base of this mix is pecan, and when made they are like little brownies. The gentlemen that maxes this mix I am sure has forgotten more about squirrels than I will ever know. I trust him explicitly.

Ok So I took the veggie square mix and made more only into little balls, thinking ok they like peanuts so much then I'll melt some peanut butter, chope some peanuts up and coat the veggie balls with that. Nope no takers.
    I took some and coated them with Honey, Nope no takers. I have tried avocado pieces skinned, coated with peanut butter, and some with honey. Nope No Takers. I tried broccoli, celery sweet potato No Way.
    They will not even look at apple slices. I have tried almonds in the shell, beechnuts in the shell, they did eat some unshelled walnuts but not much. I went and got fresh acorns after a wind storm we had, fresh off the tree. They ate a few but bury the rest, and that I can understand. I am worried now because I just am out of ideas. It's getting so cold here in Northern Massachusetts yesterday we had snow squalls and this morning the feels like temp is -1 degree. I have been giving some peanuts in the morning then let them go forage then later in the afternoon they will come back and I will go out and give them a few more. Sometimes they will eat them or bury them so I think they are getting some food by foraging. I want to find something they will eat before we get clobbered with snow then the foraging for the most part is done.

Any help or suggestions would so greatly accepted. I want to make sure my little ones have all they need to stay alive and healthy.
    Thank You all in advance so much.

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to frankc from:

RockyPops (11-13-2019)

Default Re: Picky Squirrels

Thank you Frank for being concerned for your yard friends.

We are all familiar with the gentleman you speak of. Unlike you, we do not feel his advice and recommendations are sound. Most of us feel the information that he promotes is actually harmful and deadly. Please don’t believe that he preaches the gospel of squirrel care and nutrition.

As for what to feed your yard friends. Try offering the avocado without the addition of peanut butter or peanuts. My yard friends devour avocado (no skin or pit) chunks of fresh coconut and fresh corn chunks. I dust the corn with calcium carbonate powder to make it a little healthier.

As I have said many times, I also make boo balls from ground up Harlan Teklad 2018 rodent block, ground nuts, Fox Valley 20/50 and Fox Valley Ultraboost powder mixed with enough assorted fruit and veggie baby food and avocado and coconut oil to make a dough that holds together, but isn’t sticky. My yard friends will eat as many as I put out. Harlan Teklad is a 100% nutritionally complete rodent food and the addition of Fox Valley powder and Ultraboost provides additional calories and calcium. The Harlan Teklad must be ordered online, but is not too expensive. I shop the internet for the best price, including the shipping. Recipes for Boo Balls are in the Nutrition Section on this forum. There are also some recipes for making squares that are baked using special vitamin powder from Henrys Pets. Some squirrels like them better.

Another alternative, which I also provide to my yard friends for variety, is Henrys Healthy block. I buy the Wild Bites for my outside guys, but sometimes treat them to the Hazelnut and Picky Eaters ones. They are all well accepted. I especially like to give these to any lactating or pregnant mommas. These must also be purchased online at Henrys Pets. They are pricier, but worth it.

You might try any or all of these suggestions. I know your yard friends will appreciate you providing them with some nutritional yummies as winter continues to approach.

4. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

frankc (11-13-2019), RockyPops (11-13-2019), stepnstone (02-27-2020)

Default Re: Picky Squirrels

Thank You Mel !!
    Advice all around well taken, I'll try the things you suggested and hope these guy's finally eat healthy. Going to Pm You

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to frankc:

Mel1959 (11-13-2019), RockyPops (11-13-2019)