Thread: LeLe the flying squirrel fur loss

Default LeLe the flying squirrel fur loss

This post is for a friend who usually rehabs grey squirrels. Her internet is currently not working.

LeLe came to her when she was handed to her by a mutual friend.
    Our friends father was on his way to work when he felt something flying into his open car window, but didn't give it much thought until he found the little flyer in his back seat the next morning.
    Her back legs are paralyzed from the accident, but she is showing signs of improvement.
    I'm attaching a couple of pictures and I copied the message she sent to me.

This is what she wrote:

"Her diet is pretty simple
    She is taking about 1 cc of formula in the mornings and then around lunchtime she eats a grape and a few mealworms, then in the evening and night she has a pecan with one drop of CBD oil on it and a cricket .
    Sometimes she will eat an unsalted sunflower seed or 2 and she has eaten a lil bit of sweet potato every couple of days unsalted pumpkin seed, and every other day I give her 1 cc of plain probiotic yogurt.
    She gets fresh water with calcium every day.
    She doesn’t eat much but I try to give her a good variety each day as far as rotating what I listed.
    I’ve tried kale but she doesn’t like it. She has eaten a lil bit of boiled egg a few times, so I try to offer her that every other day or 2. She is most interested in the insects and pecans more than anything.
    She is seemingly healthy and has not acted aggressively toward any of us. She is trying to use her back legs just a bit but you have to really pay attention to her to notice as it’s just a slight movement.
    I am still doing exercises and massages on her back legs twice daily.
    No sign of mites or anything and poop and pee is still normal. She is washing herself more so I wonder if she has just scratched her fur off with her nails but seems she would have left scratch marks and I’m not seeing any marks at all on her."

She also has the Henry's high protein block for her, but I don't know if she gets her to eat it.
    Lissa confirmed that LeLe only nibbles on the block.

Thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to lukaslolamaus from:

RockyPops (11-10-2019)

Default Re: LeLe the flying squirrel fur loss

I’m not sure what is going on. I will direct HRT4SQRLS to this thread.

Was prednisone ever tried for the hind end paralysis? Forgive me if I missed it, but how long ago was the injury to the legs?

I don’t have a lot of time right now but I think this is probably an ear infection.
    If you remember Ana, she lost the hair around her bad ear. I think a painful ear causes her to rub the hair off because it bothers her.

I can’t think of anything else in the world that would cause this hair pattern loss other than a bad ear. The fact that she had hind leg mobility issues makes it even more likely. MANY of those with hind end mobility issues have ear problems.

5. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

lukaslolamaus (11-11-2019), Mel1959 (11-11-2019), RockyPops (11-11-2019), stepnstone (11-11-2019)

Thanks guys! Idk how I didn't think of that and I squirrel sit Ana a couple of times a year
    The good news is that she has vet access.
    She was on prednisone when she was taken in, and also seen by a vet. She didn't respond to the prednisone at all, but started twitching her right leg about a week ago and she started another round of prednisone.
    I'll pass on your thoughts and hopefully her internet will get fixed in the next couple of days, she has cellphone data, but it is patchy at her house.
    Thank you!

7. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to lukaslolamaus:

Mel1959 (11-11-2019), RockyPops (11-11-2019)

Yes, keep in mind that prednisone dosed at lower strengths can be used for longer periods of time if she is seeing improvement.

9. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

lukaslolamaus (11-11-2019), RockyPops (11-11-2019)