Thread: hiccups?

Default hiccups?

My 10 week old guy makes sounds which sound like hiccups (I don't think it's a sneeze because I don't see any facial movement, etc). Earlier this evening he did it about 7 times in a 20/25 minute period. He does it daily when he's active in the cage. He's eating fine and is definitely not lethargic. Do squirrels hiccup and if so does this sound normal to hiccup daily and often? Please advise. Thank you in advance, I'm still not sure if I'm replying correctly on here or how to show thanks like others are doing.

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to seahorse from:

RockyPops (11-09-2019)

Default Re: hiccups?

Hi Seahorse,

You did great posting. Welcome to TSB!

Not too sure what is going on. Can you post a video?

Will you share what formula he is on or his diet?
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

RockyPops (11-09-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    Hi Seahorse,

You did great posting. Welcome to TSB!

Not too sure what is going on. Can you post a video?

Will you share what formula he is on or his diet?
    Hi! Thank you! I am not sure how to post a video (am not tech savy). He's asleep now, I'll try to catch him doing it tomorrow and try to upload it. He's been doing it a few weeks now, he's getting fox valley 20/50 about 8 ml three times a day although lately he's not been taking the whole 8 and actually refused the evening feeding (I think he's just intent on trying to get out of the cage door). He weighs 247 grams. I am taking him down to two feedings starting tomorrow. Also a week and a half ago I started introducing boo balls 1/2 tsp 3 to 4 times a day and this past week I started gradually introducing other foods such as lettuce (1" by 1" piece), sugar snap pea, apple (size of my pinky fingertip), he's been working a walnut in a shell for a couple of days and finally got it open yesterday (he and his female roommate shared that). I really appreciate your response and concern. Can you explain to me what the with "quotes" means. I want to do things correctly. I have to sign off now, bedtime for me as I have to get up early.

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to seahorse:

redwuff (11-10-2019), RockyPops (11-09-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by seahorse View Post
    Hi! Thank you! I am not sure how to post a video (am not tech savy). He's asleep now, I'll try to catch him doing it tomorrow and try to upload it. He's been doing it a few weeks now, he's getting fox valley 20/50 about 8 ml three times a day although lately he's not been taking the whole 8 and actually refused the evening feeding (I think he's just intent on trying to get out of the cage door). He weighs 247 grams. I am taking him down to two feedings starting tomorrow. Also a week and a half ago I started introducing boo balls 1/2 tsp 3 to 4 times a day and this past week I started gradually introducing other foods such as lettuce (1" by 1" piece), sugar snap pea, apple (size of my pinky fingertip), he's been working a walnut in a shell for a couple of days and finally got it open yesterday (he and his female roommate shared that). I really appreciate your response and concern. Can you explain to me what the with "quotes" means. I want to do things correctly. I have to sign off now, bedtime for me as I have to get up early.

I just hit Reply with Quote for this post. You see the area in the blue. That is with Quote. If you hit Reply to Thread above the post it won’t have the blue Quote box. If you want to reply to a specific post you use Reply with Quote.

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

RockyPops (11-09-2019)

With this post I just hit Reply to Thread.... no blue box.

Not sure if it's what your talking about but Rocky used to do a little snort, or sneeze, or hiccup sound real often. I've even heard my little wild friends doing it.

I attributed it to something they do related to scents. If you've ever noticed a dog on the scent of something they seem to blow out in puffs to stir the scent up. May be something similar. Squirrels have a very keen sense of smell.

Could be something that simple.... or not!

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RockyPops from:

redwuff (11-10-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    I just hit Reply with Quote for this post. You see the area in the blue. That is with Quote. If you hit Reply to Thread above the post it won’t have the blue Quote box. If you want to reply to a specific post you use Reply with Quote.
    Thank you for clarifying that HRT4SQRLS...Can you also tell me how to "thank" people.....I see on the bottom of a post about so and so thanks you. I appreciate your help.

13. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to seahorse:

HRT4SQRLS (11-10-2019), RockyPops (11-10-2019)

Thank you for clarifying that HRT4SQRLS...Can you also tell me how to "thank" people.....I see on the bottom of a post about so and so thanks you. I appreciate your help.
    At the bottom Right of the post you will see the word Thanks and a thumbs-up icon. Click that and you just thanked the poster for the help.

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

seahorse (11-10-2019)

Your video will have to be uploaded to YouTube and then the link copied and pasted in your thread. You can’t upload a video directly to TSB.

As for noises squirrels make...there’s a lot of them. As Hrt4sqrls said, a video would be helpful. The last 4 squirrels I raised were the most vocal ever. 3 of the 4 did a noise that sounds like a bark. I’ve only ever heard it from 2 other squirrels in the wild...one of which is my released female. She seems to do it when she’s happy and will run through the trees or wallow in the dirt “barking”. If I “bark” back at her she will continue to respond to me and we go back and forth “barking”. Yes, my neighbors think I’m nuts!

They also purr, grunt and snort.

17. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

RockyPops (11-10-2019), seahorse (11-10-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Your video will have to be uploaded to YouTube and then the link copied and pasted in your thread. You can’t upload a video directly to TSB.

As for noises squirrels make...there’s a lot of them. As Hrt4sqrls said, a video would be helpful. The last 4 squirrels I raised were the most vocal ever. 3 of the 4 did a noise that sounds like a bark. I’ve only ever heard it from 2 other squirrels in the wild...one of which is my released female. She seems to do it when she’s happy and will run through the trees or wallow in the dirt “barking”. If I “bark” back at her she will continue to respond to me and we go back and forth “barking”. Yes, my neighbors think I’m nuts!

They also purr, grunt and snort.
    LOL....they certainly are characters! He has only done it once this morning that I noticed and I tried for several minutes to film him but he didn't do it again. He's been pretty sleepy today. I have never posted on youtube before so that will be something I need to figure out. I sure appreciate yours and everyone else's help on here. I will know to post a video next time I have a question that would be more beneficial to see in real life.

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to seahorse from:

RockyPops (11-10-2019)

LOL....they certainly are characters! He has only done it once this morning that I noticed and I tried for several minutes to film him but he didn't do it again. He's been pretty sleepy today. I have never posted on youtube before so that will be something I need to figure out. I sure appreciate yours and everyone else's help on here. I will know to post a video next time I have a question that would be more beneficial to see in real life.
    With him being ‘pretty sleepy’, is he eating ok. If he needed an antibiotic,do you have any at home. Best would be Baytril/Cipro or Clavamox/augmentin.

Hold his side up to your ear. Do you hear any clicking coming from his lungs? Let us know if you do.
    redwuff
    State Licensed

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

RockyPops (11-10-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    With him being ‘pretty sleepy’, is he eating ok. If he needed an antibiotic,do you have any at home. Best would be Baytril/Cipro or Clavamox/augmentin.

Hold his side up to your ear. Do you hear any clicking coming from his lungs? Let us know if you do.
    No, I don't hear any clicking. He has also since become very active since my last post, he is play wrestling with his roommate. I think he and his roommate were just enjoying extra sunday afternoon naptime. He is also eating ok. No I do not have any antibiotic at home. The rehabber I am working under (I am apprenticing) lives an hour away but will be coming to town in the next day or two. I will ask her to bring me some to have on hand.
    Thank you!

23. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to seahorse:

redwuff (11-10-2019), RockyPops (11-10-2019)

Sounds super.
    redwuff
    State Licensed

25. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

RockyPops (11-10-2019), seahorse (11-10-2019)