Thread: Adult Squirrel- Shaking, maybe small seizures?

Unhappy Adult Squirrel- Shaking, maybe small seizures?

Hey! My 10 year old grey squirrel is having an off day. This is definitely a first in her 10 years of living with me. I’ve had her since she was about 5-7 weeks old.

She’s shivering/shaking with stronger episodes of shakes. Asking for lots of love and not being very active. She’s not opening her paws all the way either. Not making noises.

I just ran to the store to grab some calcium pills, molasses, and an avocado to try ensuring she gets the calcium in.

Her diet consists of spring mix, avocado, cucumber, tomato, some apple here and there, sometimes spaghetti squash (had yesterday), nuts in low amounts, and I try throwing in other veggies sometimes but she is a little picky.

Any other advise?

Default Re: Adult Squirrel- Shaking, maybe small seizures?

Also... I just thought about this:

I recently added a bowl of water to her area in addition to her water bottle. My pet cats sometimes drink from this bowl. I didn’t consider how cat saliva is dangerous to squirrels. Could her drinking from the same bowl of water as a cat hurt her?

Sorry I can't help you but keep checking this thread and someone will.

Thanks for taking care of your baby!

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RockyPops from:

sammalamm (11-11-2019)

I try! She’s definitely spoiled and cared for. I don’t know what else to besides treat for MBD. 🤷🏼*♀️ That’s all I found reading through a ton of old threads.

The cat drinking out of the bowl is not the problem.
    10 is a good age for a squirrel. I’m sure you know that they can live to 15 or so BUT I will say this. When we see 15 yo squirrels they are usually sick and having problems. It’s not too often we see a completely healthy 15 yo. Even at 10 we have seen some serious age related problems.

The calcium is good. It won’t hurt. The molasses is also good to bring the blood sugar up after seizures. Beyond that it would be impossible to say what is wrong. Do you have a vet? The only way to know for sure is diagnostic tests. I was recently contacted by someone with an 8 yo that was ill. I linked them up with a vet. The vet did X-rays and found tumors in the lungs. I’m not saying this is what you are seeing but any type of age related organ failure is a possibility. Try the calcium and molasses. If this continues, a vet will be your best option. If you don’t have a vet we might be able to recommend one.

7. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

cava (11-11-2019), RockyPops (11-09-2019), sammalamm (11-11-2019)

There is a vet in a Panama City that sees squirrels. The clinic is called Crittercare and the vets name is Dr. Hubbard. 850-726-0838.

9. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

HRT4SQRLS (11-09-2019), RockyPops (11-09-2019), sammalamm (11-11-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    There is a vet in a Panama City that sees squirrels. The clinic is called Crittercare and the vets name is Dr. Hubbard. 850-726-0838.
    Thanks for trying to help out! I actually recently moved to Orlando so Panama City is quite a drive for me.

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to sammalamm from:

RockyPops (11-09-2019)

Has your sweet baby ever had a rodent block. If not I would seriously consider MBD. I would the emergency MBD treatment asap. I don't see enough calcium in her diet if this is her only diet. The shaking could be a seizure, often a symptom of low blood calcium. I would start treatment tonight.

https://www.henryspets.com/emergency-treatment-for-mbd/
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

13. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

RockyPops (11-09-2019), sammalamm (11-11-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by sammalamm View Post

I just ran to the store to grab some calcium pills, molasses, and an avocado to try ensuring she gets the calcium in.
    Make sure that the calcium pills have NO vitamin D in them.
    too much calcium can be hard on the kidneys so try to get
    the correct amount in her. Fruit flavored tums or calcium carbonate, may be the better choice.

Here's an excellent link about MBD.
    It shows you how to break down the tums to get the correct amount of calcium carbonate.

https://www.henryspets.com/emergency-treatment-for-mbd/

15. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

cava (11-11-2019), RockyPops (11-10-2019), sammalamm (11-11-2019)

Dr. Alicia Emerson is in Port Orange. She is wonderful!
    Many prayers for your sweet baby...
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

17. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SammysMom:

RockyPops (11-10-2019), sammalamm (11-11-2019)

Arrow Re: Adult Squirrel- Shaking, maybe small seizures?

Just to give an update- she is doing much better since the calcium dosages yesterday. Her hands have opened back up and she’s moving quickly again. No shaking or trembles.

I’ve ordered some Henry’s blocks & also some plain calcium carbonate powder that arrives tomorrow. I don’t plan to over do it, but I got both just in case she doesn’t want the blocks for whatever reason.

Unfortunately, I mistakenly administered calcium pills with magnesium. I feel so bad. She’s had the runs all day! I was just in a frantic yesterday when she was having her mini seizures. I double-triple checked that I didn’t grab the “vitamin-D” kind. I didn’t think much of the added magnesium as it’s a good nutrient to have as well... in small quantities I know her tummy has been hurting today, as well as her bum.

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to sammalamm from:

RockyPops (11-11-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by sammalamm View Post
    Thanks for trying to help out! I actually recently moved to Orlando so Panama City is quite a drive for me.
    Sorry about giving you a vet in the wrong area.

If you’re in Orlando you have a couple of options. Dr. Diaz at Exotic Animal Hospital of Orlando, 24 W. Sturtevant St. 32806 (407) 286-3484. I have never used him but I know of others who have. He’s knowledgeable, but might be a little expensive.

Dr. Alicia Emerson at Ravenwood Veterinary Clinic, 4540 S. Clyde Morris Blvd. Port Orange, FL 32129 (386) 788-1550. She is VERY knowledgeable and many of us on TSB have used her MANY times. IMO it’s worth the drive to go to her.

Make sure you continue with the calcium if you suspect MBD. It will take months to correct the calcium loss if this is what it is.

21. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

RockyPops (11-11-2019), sammalamm (11-11-2019)

Based on the age of your squirrel, i think a check up with Dr. Emerson would be a really good idea. That way you could get to the bottom of what’s going on. She is one of the nicest and most knowledgeable vets you’ll ever meet....and she LOVES squirrels!

23. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

island rehabber (11-11-2019), RockyPops (11-11-2019)