Thread: HELP WITH RESCUE BABY!

Threaded View

aschilling3 Guest

Default HELP WITH RESCUE BABY!

HI ALL,

PLEASE HELP!

Yesterday late afternoon found a baby ( Fox? Grey?) in my driveway that appears to have fallen out of the nest approx 20+ from ground that was positioned directly above my drive. We live in the south but expected a very cold night, combined with the fact that I also spotted one of our resident red hawks flying in that area of our property at the same time. I decided against leaving him out there in the hopes his mother would grab him because A. Was not sure if she was even alive. B. It was about an hour before dark. C. Red Hawk circling. I found another one around the same time last year that I fostered and released after about 5 months after allowing him to play all day outside in his "tree fort" and returning him inside at night. I would check on him throughout the day and he would come find me or I would find him right before dark every day. He may or may not have become a victim of the Hawk because after a few months of our "routine" he just disappeared. I felt that he would be one that would visit periodically because he was not your average squirrel. Since then I've adopted two flying squirrels, and they recently had a baby ( he is approx 3 months old). I have the premixed Esbilac puppy formula on hand as my flyers love it as a treat but I'm concerned now after reading the post regarding the issues experienced with that. Archie ( I've decided on a name for the new baby) has diarrhea as of this morning, I've mixed up the recipe for Pedialite and mixed it 1 to 1 with the formula for most recent feeding after contacting my local vet. I'm not sure if this will fix the issue but I do not have access to goats milk and the alternate shown ( Fox Valley Day One) is showing to be for "eyes open" babies and Archie's are not open yet. He appears to be roughly 3-4 weeks old? Has fur, but eyes closed. Please advise! I have been feeding him 3 CC's per feeding using Miracle nipple in mini size ( all I had available) but he is sucking so well, faster than I am pushing that he's creating air pockets and also appears to be hungry after. The last feeding he did urinate after stimulation so I'm assuming ( please correct me if I'm wrong just going off of "mom" information) that he isn't super dehydrated yet despite the diarrhea from earlier? Also, does anyone have any idea if my female flyer would potentially accept/ foster Archie? She is an incredibly wonderful mother, and clearly could not feed him but do you think they could possibly accept him as a potential playmate etc. at least short term? My female is the clearly defined "Boss", the male is VERY gentle and sweet, and their son is shy. I've not completely bonded with the son as I wanted my female to be the "mother". He is fine with me but we do not have the same relationship as I do with my pair that I hand fed as babies etc.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to aschilling3:

Mel1959 (11-19-2019), RockyPops (11-19-2019)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.