Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Baby Squirrel with paralyzed back legs, need help (Texas)!

Default Re: Baby Squirrel with paralyzed back legs, need help (Texas)!

How is your baby doing today? He is a beautiful baby.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

RockyPops (11-07-2019)

I have reached out to a TSB member in Fort Worth who can have prednisone available for you tomorrow. I will send you his contact information in a private message so you can make arrangements with him. The sooner you can get this little one on prednisone the better the possible outcome. You can access private messages from the notifications heading at the top of the page if it doesn’t automatically pop up when you sign on.

Edit: private message sent to finder with Fort Worth Squaddy’s contact info.

4. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Mialouise (11-07-2019), Nancy in New York (11-07-2019), redwuff (11-07-2019), RockyPops (11-07-2019), stepnstone (11-07-2019)

Hi Andie

Please come back. How is your baby?
    redwuff
    State Licensed

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

RockyPops (11-08-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Andie311 View Post
    A baby squirrel fell out of a tree, or was dropped by his momma (she was present in the tree) last evening while I was in my yard. The baby was trying to get back up the tree using its front legs when it fell again...but I was under him and caught him in a towel. I let him at the base of the tree, to assess the situation, and he was clearly dragging himself around and unable to use his back legs. Momma squirrel then left. I had to get the baby into a box and bring him inside because there are several feral cats in the area and I didn't want him to die.

I contacted a wildlife rehabber who had me pinch his legs and tail for a response, which there wasn't any. She then told me he would need to be euthanized.

Well, that isn't something I could do or want to do. He has so much life in him and is a fighter....climbing the tree with just his front paws tells me he wants to survive. I'm sure some will think it's not possible, but I'm so hopeful that there is someone I can find with experience that can give him a chance. He's drinking, Gatorade because that's what I had on hand and read that is okay in a pinch, and now I'm going to make the sugar and salt mixture I read about on this site. I want to try to feed him so suggestions about what to feed him and when to start trying to feed him would be appreciated.

He's bright eyed and grips my finger when giving him the bottle...and he's drinking well. Can anyone help, or know someone who helps in my area? Arlington, Texas. I'd post a pic, but can't figure out how to do that from my phone.
    Hi! I'm extremely new to this forum, but I do have to squirrels with mobility issues so I sympathize. Mine HAVE gained some movement and strength over the last few months, so there is a real possibility for that. I had to help them urine and defecate much longer than normal, but they're going to the bathroom independently now. I say as long as he's not in pain then you've got yourself a new little pumpkin! I have a big vintage bathroom mat from the thrift store that I cut into wide strips and wrapped around surfaces to help them get a grip. Not the kind with the loops, this texture looks like fake fur. (fake fur would also work great) Also, for several weeks no matter what I tried they would have some urine soak every day and had skin and fur problems. I put a baking dish with a bit of cornstarch in their cage. I put a few cut up strips of felt in there and rolled their bottoms around a few times a day after they were clean and dry. They eventually started doing it themselves and they now stay clean and dry on their own. They still get in the cornstarch sometimes. They also eat it. It really helped their skin and fur. 8 8h

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to tree service squrl rescue:

Andie311 (11-08-2019), RockyPops (11-08-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post

Oh you can definitely use blankets. I always use tons of fleece (actually they are blankets cut up)
    and I put a pile in for all the babies.
    You probably read not to put squirrels in towels. The problem with towels
    is that they get their nails stuck in the loops.
    What kind of carrier do you have him in?

That is great news about the tail going straight up.
    I'm thrilled hearing this news.
    I have him in a cat carrier with mesh windows...however, he likes to climb it and it's difficult to get him off to feed him. When he realizes he's getting fed, he lets go. He's a silly and hyper boy, so cute! His tail is very active now, but not his back legs yet.

I wasn't on yesterday so I apologize for the late response. This evening while feeding, he sounds congested. That has me worried!

Still looking for someone experienced to take him, but not if they will euthanize him like the rehabber said would have to be done. He's a fighter!

I got a message from a member who said there is a guy named Joe in Fort Worth. If anyone has the phone number that would be great!

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Andie311:

MapleRidgesquirrel (11-08-2019), RockyPops (11-08-2019)

I totally forgot to send Joe’s phone number in my message. . I have sent a new message with Joe’s contact info.

12. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Nancy in New York (11-09-2019), redwuff (11-09-2019), RockyPops (11-09-2019), Snicker Bar (11-09-2019)

I tried texting the member here in Fort Worth, calling as well. So far no luck today. Maybe he will message tomorrow. The baby is doing well and very active. Hes on the goat milk now but doesn't like it. Any suggestions on anything to add to the goats milk that will make him easier to feed?

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Andie311 from:

RockyPops (11-10-2019)

Are you feeding just goats milk or the goats milk formula? The formula is 3 parts goats milk, 2 parts heavy whipping creme, 2 parts full fat yogurt.
    redwuff
    State Licensed

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

RockyPops (11-10-2019)

You’re using the recipe that calls for yogurt added, correct? Is the yogurt you’re using vanilla or plain? If it’s plain I’d switch to vanilla. He’s old enough to be on Fox Valley 20/50. I think you should order some FV 20/50 and switch him over. It must be purchased online. Henrys Pets charges a flat $5.99 shipping fee, so you can get some rodent block at the same time. I’d get the picky block or the hazelnut block. Your little guy will have to eat a rodent block for long term health and Henrys blocks seem to be liked the best. The FV is well liked. I always add a little vanilla full fat yogurt when I mix up my formula, too.

Keep trying to reach Joe. Texting him let’s him know who it is that’s trying to reach him from an unfamiliar number.

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

RockyPops (11-10-2019)

It's the goats milk from whole foods, not the formula. He has been pretty active and vocal 😁

It's the goats milk from whole foods, not the formula. He has been pretty active and vocal ��
    I posted this to you on the 6th. (Below in red).
    Are you adding the heavy cream and yogurt,
    or just feeding the goats milk?
    Is this from the refrig section, near the
    other milks, (meaning not the evaporated), correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post

Start him on the Goat Milk formula and then order Fox Valley 20/50.
    Let me find the links and I will post them for you.
    Also get him off the Pedialyte. That should only be given for 24 hours.
    Does he appear dehydrated?

Goat Milk Recipe (Temporary)

The basic recipe is:

3 parts goat milk
    3 parts plain (low-fat) yogurt
    2 parts heavy cream
    Add 1 egg yolk for each cup of formula

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

RockyPops (11-10-2019)

Hi Andie, just plain goats milk does not meet his nutritional needs. To be nutritionally correct you need to add the heavy whipping creme and full fat yogurt in the quantity noted in the formula. He will like that formula better!
    redwuff
    State Licensed

23. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

RockyPops (11-10-2019)

Oh!!!! I didn't realize you needed to add that to it to make a formula. I thought it was an either/or between the goat milk or the formula. Got it. Back to the store, again.

This is stressing me out. I'm sure I got the wrong goats milk....it's not from the refrigerated section because they didn't have any there. It's from the milk section in cartons, not refrigerated.

25. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Andie311 from:

RockyPops (11-10-2019)

Oh!!!! I didn't realize you needed to add that to it to make a formula. I thought it was an either/or between the goat milk or the formula. Got it. Back to the store, again.

This is stressing me out. I'm sure I got the wrong goats milk....it's not from the refrigerated section because they didn't have any there. It's from the milk section in cartons, not refrigerated.
    Can you post a picture of what you have.
    You're doing fine. We're here to help.

27. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

RockyPops (11-10-2019)

I really wish there was someone experienced to take this baby. I'm screwing this up left and right.

29. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Andie311 from:

RockyPops (11-10-2019)

I really wish there was someone experienced to take this baby. I'm screwing this up left and right.
    Have you texted Joe again? Please try to get in touch with him and see if he can suggest
    someone to take this baby, ok?

31. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

Mel1959 (11-10-2019), RockyPops (11-10-2019)

Name:  1573421880921283525941.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  86.1 KB

33. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Andie311 from:

RockyPops (11-10-2019)

I don't want to bother that Joe guy. I called and I texted him. If he's not responding, I'm guessing he doesn't want to help and I'm not going to be a pest.

35. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Andie311:

redwuff (11-10-2019), RockyPops (11-10-2019)

Name:  1573421880921283525941.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  86.1 KB
    Hi Andie, your goat milk looks wonderful. So make 3 Tablespoons of the goat milk, 2 Tablespoons of yogurt, and 2 Tablespoons of the heavy whipping creme. Mix together. If your boy is still pulling a face at drinking that formula, take 4 teaspoons of your newly made up goat milk formula and mix that with 4 teaspoons of your old formula and let him drink that for two feedings. Then mix 4 teaspoons of the goat milk formula to 2 teaspoons of your old formula. Feed that for two feedings. Then go to the new goat milk formula and see if he will take that with out the old formula.

I am so sorry for the misunderstanding concerning the goat milk and formula. I must not have explained that very well. I hope you will forgive me.
    redwuff
    State Licensed

37. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

RockyPops (11-10-2019)

He seems to love the formula recipe as is, thank goodness! He's a messy eater and this has helped because it's thicker than just the goat milk. Trying to clean a hyper squirrel isn't easy...any tips?

39. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Andie311 from:

RockyPops (11-10-2019)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast