Thread: NY STATE WILDLIFE REHAB CONFERENCE - ANYONE ELSE HEADED THERE THIS WEEKEND?

Default NY STATE WILDLIFE REHAB CONFERENCE - ANYONE ELSE HEADED THERE THIS WEEKEND?

Who's going to NYSWRC? I will be there Fri, Sat and Sun morning, but couldn't get a room in the host hotel, so I'm staying at the Best Western - Troy nearby. Would love to know if any other TSB members are going (besides Milo's Mom, of course, who is a vendor ).

Christina Clark from squirrelsandmore.com, and Barbara Bellens-Picon from my part of the world, will be giving a tandem talk on Adult Squirrel Care. I'm sure that discussions about the Esbilac Issue will find their way into the mix. Should be verrrrry interesting.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Milo's Mom (11-05-2019), RockyPops (11-05-2019)

Default Re: NY STATE WILDLIFE REHAB CONFERENCE - ANYONE ELSE HEADED THERE THIS WEEKEND?

I wish I was closer.☹️ I’d love to go.

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

island rehabber (11-05-2019), RockyPops (11-05-2019)

Milo's Mom is offline Permitted Pennsylvania Wildlife Rehabilitator

Default Re: NY STATE WILDLIFE REHAB CONFERENCE - ANYONE ELSE HEADED THERE THIS WEEKEND?

Heading that way on Thursday...in the snow storm...when else would I choose to drive, right? LOL!
    I'm at the Hilton. Plan is to arrive between 5-6pm, hopefully.

Top-quality custom cage gear, accessories, blankets, & toys.
    Boutique items are fun, unique, and anything but ordinary.

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Milo's Mom:

Quote Originally Posted by Milo's Mom View Post
    Heading that way on Thursday...in the snow storm...when else would I choose to drive, right? LOL!
    I'm at the Hilton. Plan is to arrive between 5-6pm, hopefully.
    SNOW?!! Oh my gosh! It’s 87 degrees here today!!

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

RockyPops (11-05-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    SNOW?!! Oh my gosh! It’s 87 degrees here today!!
    Are you trying to make me cry? It's a freak storm moving through. My house is getting probably just rain and maybe some slushy crap, but further north and into New England they are calling for several inches of snow, so I'm going to drive right into it.

I've got a truck full of fleecy goodness and nothing will stop me! Milo Mobile is big and tough and will get me to my destination! And if I have too I'll drop him into 4 wheel drive. Troy or BUST!

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page

10. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Milo's Mom:

Mel1959 (11-10-2019), redwuff (11-10-2019), RockyPops (11-05-2019)

I've got a truck full of fleecy goodness and nothing will stop me! Milo Mobile is big and tough and will get me to my destination! And if I have too I'll drop him into 4 wheel drive. Troy or BUST!
    Flashback: Gathering 2011? 2012? Orlando FL.....IR and MM heading home through one of the worst blizzard/ice storm/flying craporamafests I have ever seen! IR drives until her ancient severely nearsighted eyeballs almost fall out....gives wheel to MM and she pilots that baby (Milo Mobile) onward to NYC. My heart was in my mouth the whole way......good times!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Mel1959 (11-10-2019), RockyPops (11-05-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    Flashback: Gathering 2011? 2012? Orlando FL.....IR and MM heading home through one of the worst blizzard/ice storm/flying craporamafests I have ever seen! IR drives until her ancient severely nearsighted eyeballs almost fall out....gives wheel to MM and she pilots that baby (Milo Mobile) onward to NYC. My heart was in my mouth the whole way......good times!
    I smile fondly with the memories of that first trip. We talked ourselves out of voices, we hit rain in NC, ice in VA and snow the rest of the way. With our little stow away in the back of the car(it was that trip right?). Till I arrived home it was 23 hours from the time we left FL.

14. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Milo's Mom:

Christina Clark from squirrelsandmore.com, and Barbara Bellens-Picon from my part of the world, will be giving a tandem talk on Adult Squirrel Care. I'm sure that discussions about the Esbilac Issue will find their way into the mix. Should be verrrrry interesting.
    Forget the Adult Squirrel Care lecture. We got that! Tell me about how wonderful Esbilac is!
    Yeah, I’d LOVE to hear that discussion in a room full of rehabbers that buried babies this year. If I didn’t have caregiving duties, I’d get on a plane and fly there to hear that.

Will there be any nutritionists there to offer up a better long term plan for this disaster?

16. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Nancy in New York (11-05-2019), RockyPops (11-05-2019), stepnstone (11-10-2019)

UDoWhat gave a talk at our local state rehabber conference on Esbilac with descriptions, radiography images, and a detailed discussion of how this whole situation unfolded. Even with a roomful of raptor folks who probably don't think much about squirrels, it got very somber indeed when the evidence was presented.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

18. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

Diggie's Friend (11-10-2019), island rehabber (11-05-2019), redwuff (11-06-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    UDoWhat gave a talk at our local state rehabber conference on Esbilac with descriptions, radiography images, and a detailed discussion of how this whole situation unfolded. Even with a roomful of raptor folks who probably don't think much about squirrels, it got very somber indeed when the evidence was presented.
    I'm sure it was excellent -- UDoWhat is a top-notch speaker . I would love to have a transcript, in fact.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

redwuff (11-06-2019)

Who won the basket of bat stuff at the raffle? This chick!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

22. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

BCChins (11-10-2019), Mel1959 (11-10-2019), Milo's Mom (11-10-2019), Nancy in New York (11-10-2019), redwuff (11-10-2019), stepnstone (11-11-2019)

Who won the basket of bat stuff at the raffle? This chick!
    Now all you need is a bat...
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

24. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

island rehabber (11-10-2019)

Are you trying to make me cry? It's a freak storm moving through. My house is getting probably just rain and maybe some slushy crap, but further north and into New England they are calling for several inches of snow, so I'm going to drive right into it.

Absolutely not! It’s been miserable here! I welcome any kind of change in temperature...7+ months of over 85 degrees and over 85% humidity is horrible!

26. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Milo's Mom (11-10-2019)

Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

28. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Mel1959 (11-11-2019), Nancy in New York (11-11-2019), RockyPops (11-11-2019), stepnstone (11-11-2019), TubeDriver (11-11-2019)

Out of curiosity I looked up the wildlife conference that is held in Florida to see what discussions it offered. Having never been to one of these conferences I am interested in knowing how the general topics discussed in Florida compare to those offered in NY.

The three day conference in Florida offered primarily discussions about raptors, turtles and turtle shell repair (very cool), reptiles, songbirds and did I mention raptors! There was a one hour discussion about each of these: rabbits, raccoons (distemper, parvo and neuro), skunks, captive reared mammals and the only topic that addressed squirrels specifically was medical management of adult tree squirrels.

Is this comparable to what the NY conference is like?

Out of curiosity I looked up the wildlife conference that is held in Florida to see what discussions it offered. Having never been to one of these conferences I am interested in knowing how the general topics discussed in Florida compare to those offered in NY.

The three day conference in Florida offered primarily discussions about raptors, turtles and turtle shell repair (very cool), reptiles, songbirds and did I mention raptors! There was a one hour discussion about each of these: rabbits, raccoons (distemper, parvo and neuro), skunks, captive reared mammals and the only topic that addressed squirrels specifically was medical management of adult tree squirrels.

Here you go.

https://whova.com/embedded/event/nys...utc_soruce=ems

31. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

island rehabber (11-13-2019)

Thank you, Nancy. It appears the conference in NY is much more diverse and interesting. Good to know.

33. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Nancy in New York (11-13-2019)

There was a time period when the NYSWRC (New York State) wildlife rehab conference got more and more and more avian-oriented to the point where I did not attend for almost 10 years in a row. (If I saw ONE more description of the "new FONS formulae!" I was gonna scream -- they changed the damn thing every year!! ) We all complained, us mammal rehabbers, and also the herp rehabbers -- and NYSWERC listened. The past two years have had lots of interesting mammal classes and -- which I took advantage of this year for the first time because of my job -- loads of excellent amphibian, snake and turtle classes and labs too.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

35. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Mel1959 (11-14-2019), Nancy in New York (11-13-2019)

Mel I attend/vend at 5-6 conferences a year...those that are more than a day long. They are ALL bird heavy. The trend right now is turtles and reptiles so most decent conferences have a few of those classes. I guess what I'm trying to say is there will always be a few mammal classes, there are always bird classes, and the rest are generally for the trending topics.
    Having taken many of the classes offered, I will say techniques used for splinting do cross over to mammals...at least I found the information helpful. I've found that reading the paragraphs describing the class is way more helpful than just the title. And after you attend a few of the more widely known/better conferences you'll see the same presenters...some are fantastic and are fun to learn from (even if it's about a bird), others you'll learn to shy away from.
    I looked into the FL conference this year and from what I could tell at face value it look comparable to VA and NC. I think NY had a broader selection (more attendees/larger venue).

37. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Milo's Mom from:

Mel1959 (11-22-2019)