Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Found a baby squirrel; next steps?/Cat attacked

Default Re: Found a baby squirrel; next steps?/Cat attacked

In that video, she looks like she's trying to nurse your finger. Poor thing may be starving.

Maybe someone can recommend a way to get some nutrition in her. May have low blood sugar making her lethargic.

Quote Originally Posted by RockyPops View Post
    And the heating pad needs to be positioned so the baby can get off of it if she gets to hot.

Half under cage, the other half out.

Has she eaten anything since found Saturday morning?
    She's had plenty of pedialtye, and she likes it. But she will not eat the goat milk formula willingly. I've given it to her drop by drop, to get something in her belly. But she will willingly drink the pedialtye, she even looks for more. But not the milk.

In good news she actually just popped! First time since Saturday!

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Gmcarro from:

RockyPops (11-04-2019)

In that video, she looks like she's trying to nurse your finger. Poor thing may be starving.

Maybe someone can recommend a way to get some nutrition in her. May have low blood sugar making her lethargic.
    That's what I thought as well, but she simply won't take the milk. She just kind of spits it back. And I've put vanilla yogurt in as the recipe calls, but no luck. So I'm not sure what to use to entice her to eat something other than pedialtye.

If she's not eating I wouldn't expect to much poop anyway.

OK. Keep us posted. Maybe someone will chime in on getting her to eat.

I guess keeping her hydrated and warm and on AB's is most important right now.

Drop by drop may be the only way to feed her til she gets ready to eat!

Quote Originally Posted by Gmcarro View Post
    That's what I thought as well, but she simply won't take the milk. She just kind of spits it back. And I've put vanilla yogurt in as the recipe calls, but no luck. So I'm not sure what to use to entice her to eat something other than pedialtye.

You need to stop the pedilyte, it shouldn't be given over 24 hours due to dyes and high sodium.
    We have a home made hydration you can use or you can use just water with a touch of honey
    for flavor.
    This baby needs nutrition...
    This is another important aspect of needing a scale for knowing baby's actual weight.
    Squirrel's are fed between 5 -7% of their body weight, this the capacity of their stomach.
    if a baby (actually) weighs 250 grams it should be getting/taking between 12.5-17.5cc's each feeding.

Who's goat's milk are you using, dry, powder and what recipe are you going by?
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

7. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Nancy in New York (11-05-2019), RockyPops (11-04-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post

You need to stop the pedilyte, it shouldn't be given over 24 hours due to dyes and high sodium.
    We have a home made hydration you can use or you can use just water with a touch of honey
    for flavor.
    This baby needs nutrition...
    This is another important aspect of needing a scale for knowing baby's actual weight.
    Squirrel's are fed between 5 -7% of their body weight, this the capacity of their stomach.
    if a baby (actually) weighs 250 grams it should be getting/taking between 12.5-17.5cc's each feeding.

Who's goat's milk are you using, dry, powder and what recipe are you going by?
    Okay, I can do that, I was just at a loss for what else would work for her.

Ive been using the meyenberg goat milk that comes liquid in a pint. The recipe I was going by was the one on the Squirrel forum. It's 3:1:1, it comes out pretty thick.

Thanks Gmcarro!

I know your working hard and have a lot coming at you!

In your opinion, does Barnaby seem to be doing better, more active, etc?

And the plain water with a touch of honey for hydration suggested by StepNstone may give her little system a boost if she's really hungry.

I think for them to want to eat they must be warm and their formula must be warm as well. I'm sure you know that but just trying to cover everything.

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RockyPops from:

stepnstone (11-04-2019)

Okay, I can do that, I was just at a loss for what else would work for her.

Ive been using the meyenberg goat milk that comes liquid in a pint. The recipe I was going by was the one on the Squirrel forum. It's 3:1:1, it comes out pretty thick.
    Not sure which link/ recipe you are referring to so posting the current link in case it's something different.
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...06#post1299706
    This baby is older then 4 weeks and would do much better with the Fox Valley 20/50 which is the recommended formula
    for "older" babies. It needs to be ordered on line or by phone.
    https://www.henryspets.com/fox-valley-formulas/
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

12. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

lukaslolamaus (11-04-2019), Nancy in New York (11-05-2019), RockyPops (11-04-2019)

Thanks Gmcarro!

I know your working hard and have a lot coming at you!

In your opinion, does Barnaby seem to be doing better, more active, etc?

And the plain water with a touch of honey for hydration suggested by StepNstone may give her little system a boost if she's really hungry.

I think for them to want to eat they must be warm and their formula must be warm as well. I'm sure you know that but just trying to cover everything.
    She is definitely more active now compared to when I got her. She was barely moving... Now she's more willing to take a few steps, pick up her body, move her head around.
    I will definitely be trying the water and honey today to see if that is something she will take.

And yes! Everything I've given to her is warm, and she always has her buddy!

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Gmcarro from:

RockyPops (11-05-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    Not sure which link/ recipe you are referring to so posting the current link in case it's something different.
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...06#post1299706
    This baby is older then 4 weeks and would do much better with the Fox Valley 20/50 which is the recommended formula
    for "older" babies. It needs to be ordered on line or by phone.
    https://www.henryspets.com/fox-valley-formulas/

The one I was using was the same, except it didn't mention anything about egg yolk. So I will make a fresh batch today. I will also be taking a look at the fox valley formula

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Gmcarro from:

RockyPops (11-05-2019)

Default Re: Found a baby squirrel; next steps?

Okay I've got amoxcicillan 125mg pills i can crush one of those. Attachment 312038
    The pill in the photo is NOT amoxicillian 125mg.
    It's Augmentin 875/125.
    Where did you get this pill, do you have the bottle it came in?
    Is there writing on the back of the pill?
    If this was dosed as amoxi 125mg, stop now, and we will give you the correct dosing.

"Search Results
    Knowledge Result
    Image result for What pill has 875 and 125 on it?
    875 125 AMC (Amoxicillin and Clavulanate Potassium 875 mg / 125 mg) Pill with imprint 875 125 AMC is White, Elliptical / Oval and has been identified as Amoxicillin and Clavulanate Potassium 875 mg / 125 mg.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    The pill in the photo is NOT amoxicillian 125mg.
    It's Augmentin 875/125.
    Where did you get this pill, do you have the bottle it came in?
    Is there writing on the back of the pill?
    If this was dosed as amoxi 125mg, stop now, and we will give you the correct dosing.

"Search Results
    Knowledge Result
    Image result for What pill has 875 and 125 on it?
    875 125 AMC (Amoxicillin and Clavulanate Potassium 875 mg / 125 mg) Pill with imprint 875 125 AMC is White, Elliptical / Oval and has been identified as Amoxicillin and Clavulanate Potassium 875 mg / 125 mg.
    Stepnstone identified the antibiotic as clavamox, and she dosed it accordingly! Thank you for your concern, we believed it was amox but stepnstone informed me that it was not and we made sure we knew what it was before dosing.

19. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Gmcarro:

Nancy in New York (11-05-2019), RockyPops (11-05-2019), TubeDriver (11-06-2019)

I just wanted to make sure that this is the right formula for barnabe? Name:  Screenshot_20191105-090934_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  49.0 KB

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Gmcarro from:

RockyPops (11-05-2019)

Yes fox valley 20/50 is what you want.
    You can also order it directly from Henry's https://www.henryspets.com/squirrel-diet/
    That's where you can also order blocks.

23. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to lukaslolamaus:

Nancy in New York (11-05-2019), RockyPops (11-05-2019)

Stepnstone identified the antibiotic as clavamox, and she dosed it accordingly! Thank you for your concern, we believed it was amox but stepnstone informed me that it was not and we made sure we knew what it was before dosing.

Nothing gets by stepnstone!

25. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

RockyPops (11-05-2019)

Exclamation Re: Found a baby squirrel; next steps?/Cat attacked

Hi all! So far barnabe is doing great! The change since the antibiotic has been monumental. She's eating more, trying to walk around more, and is overall just looking so good.

Now, I'm worried because I let her walk around my bed today, and noticed she wasn't using her back leg at all. She wouldn't even put it down... This is the leg that she had the bite on, and I was going to post a picture of the bite but it's completely closed and isn't noticeable in photos.

I know it should be expected since she was injured on this spot... But I'm worried that she might not ever be able to use it.. Especially since the wound itself has almost completely disappeared and healed.

I've inserted a video so you can all see how she skips on it.

https://youtu.be/tPq5YPaw610

27. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Gmcarro:

LanSeaAir (11-06-2019), Nancy in New York (11-06-2019), RockyPops (11-06-2019)

It looks like she has some movement with that leg but it was injured and there may be additional healing that needs to occur. Can you run you fingers down the bones of that leg and along the joints (and do the same with the healthy leg) and compare the legs? Just want to try and rule out a dislocation or fracture. As long as the infection from the cat bite is being treated, she might just need additional time for the leg to recover and get stronger?

Hi all! So far barnabe is doing great! The change since the antibiotic has been monumental. She's eating more, trying to walk around more, and is overall just looking so good.

Now, I'm worried because I let her walk around my bed today, and noticed she wasn't using her back leg at all. She wouldn't even put it down... This is the leg that she had the bite on, and I was going to post a picture of the bite but it's completely closed and isn't noticeable in photos.

I know it should be expected since she was injured on this spot... But I'm worried that she might not ever be able to use it.. Especially since the wound itself has almost completely disappeared and healed.

I've inserted a video so you can all see how she skips on it.

https://youtu.be/tPq5YPaw610
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

29. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

RockyPops (11-06-2019)

Does it look like the area were it had the cat bite is infected. Any chance the bite broke the bone? This needs to be figured out soon.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

31. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

RockyPops (11-06-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    It looks like she has some movement with that leg but it was injured and there may be additional healing that needs to occur. Can you run you fingers down the bones of that leg and along the joints (and do the same with the healthy leg) and compare the legs? Just want to try and rule out a dislocation or fracture. As long as the infection from the cat bite is being treated, she might just need additional time for the leg to recover and get stronger?
    I checked both legs and everything seems fine, she doesn't show any signs of pain when I move the injured leg around. And the wound definitely does not show any signs of infection. She's had 3 of 7 doses of AB.

I'm hoping that it's just that! But I wanted to be safe and post to see what more experienced rehabbers thought. But I'm praying it just needs more healing time

33. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Gmcarro from:

RockyPops (11-06-2019)

Exclamation Re: Found a baby squirrel; next steps?/Cat attacked

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    Does it look like the area were it had the cat bite is infected. Any chance the bite broke the bone? This needs to be figured out soon.
    Where the bite was is directly in the middle of her thigh, and the holes were very small (only two). And I did check and compare both legs and they feel about the same.

35. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Gmcarro from:

RockyPops (11-06-2019)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast