Thread: Stool Issues:

Seruss Guest

Default Stool Issues:

First time poster, lurker for the past three years. Extremely grateful for all of the excellent advice that has been shared on this forum, but finally have a question I couldn’t find an answer to....

Have a three year old female grey squirrel that is having some stool issues. In the past week, beginning last Monday, her poop has begun to be mushy, for lack of a better word. Still formed into pellets, but ones that are easily squished. Not typical for her.

Only time a similar issue has occurred is after getting into some dried corn. But the resulting poop from that was more liquid and cleared up within three days.

First assumed this was a similar issue, that she had eaten something that disagreed with her, possibly something that had been in her outside enclosure past it’s “sell-by” date, but it has continued past how long I would assume a normal stomach upset to last.

Even disposed of all of the food we had purchased the Sunday before this occurred, in case there was something on her veggies that had caused this. Purchased fresh food at a different store across town.

Now, she does not seem to be affected by her poop issues at all. (Minus the upset at having to get her back feet wiped clean. Lots of indignant squeaking for that.) Still eating and drinking normally. Not in her heat cycle. She has never been wormed up to this point.

Essentially, nothing has changed and suddenly her poops are not as hard. Should I take a sample to a vet for a fecal exam? Or am I worrying unnecessarily?

In general, her diet is one Henry’s Healthy Block in the morning (for the past month, we have been trying the new hazelnut blocks).

Salad for lunch (usually a mixture of red leaf lettuce, green leaf lettuce, bok choy, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, mushrooms, and the occasional sugar snap pea) - try to follow the food pyramid as closely as possible.

An afternoon snack may consist of an apple slice or a few blueberries while she plays in her outdoor enclosure.

Dinner is a second Henry’s Healthy Block and usually one pecan after.

Summary: 3 year old female grey squirrel has softer stool for a week after no significant changes in habits. What should be done, if anything?

Default Re: Stool Issues:

If you have a squirrel safe vet and they are willing to do a fecal I would definitely have one done. It would give you peace of mind.
    Do you ever bring sticks or treats from outside? If so maybe she caught a parasite.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to lukaslolamaus from:

Seruss Guest

She does have sticks, pine cones, etc. from outside. Normally try to place everything in the freezer for 24 hours before giving it to her.

Will get a sample for fecal exam as soon as possible then. Thank you for your reply.

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Seruss:

lukaslolamaus (11-04-2019), RockyPops (11-04-2019)

Her issues didn't begin with the change of HHB to Hazelnut blocks?

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RockyPops from:

Seruss Guest

I do not think they are the cause as she has been eating those for about a month. Nothing has really changed in her diet (excepting the purchase of new produce of course) in the past week to create this issue.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Seruss from:

RockyPops (11-04-2019)

Members who have read this thread: 1