Thread: What is going on with this poor lil guys' eye?

Rooo Guest

Default What is going on with this poor lil guys' eye?

https://janettebarton.smugmug.com/My...ry/i-ZFQN8SV/A

I have been feeding a few squirrels outside my window for the last year or so. I know each of them by their subtle physical markings and personalities. A few come inside and sit on my nightstand to eat sometimes. This particular sweet one came by about a week ago with a swollen cheek. I though it was hiding nuts or something, but it kept coming back with it swollen, which he never did before. Today, his eye is all infected. I didn't see any wounds on his body from an attack, does anyone know what could be going on? I'm new to the squirrel world Thanks.

Default Re: What is going on with this poor lil guys' eye?

I tried to watch the video, but it says page not found.
    Do you think you could trap the squirrel if needed?

I got same message!

Page not found

Quote Originally Posted by Rooo View Post
    https://janettebarton.smugmug.com/My...ry/i-ZFQN8SV/A

I have been feeding a few squirrels outside my window for the last year or so. I know each of them by their subtle physical markings and personalities. A few come inside and sit on my nightstand to eat sometimes. This particular sweet one came by about a week ago with a swollen cheek. I though it was hiding nuts or something, but it kept coming back with it swollen, which he never did before. Today, his eye is all infected. I didn't see any wounds on his body from an attack, does anyone know what could be going on? I'm new to the squirrel world Thanks.
    Injury or ailment the swollen cheek suggests abscess, sometimes they swell break and drain on their own without intervention.
    With the eye involvement showing up I'd be concerned of a tooth issue. Does he appear to be able to chew and eat ok?
    Would it be possible for you to get and post a picture? I would keep it friendly and coming to you in the meantime.
    An abscess can be treated in the wild by lacing a nut with an antibiotic as long as the subject keeps coming around.
    If it's teeth involvement it will likely need to be captured/contained in order to treat.

Also "page not found" on that link.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

5. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

lukaslolamaus (10-30-2019), Nancy in New York (10-31-2019), RockyPops (10-31-2019), TubeDriver (10-31-2019)

Rooo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lukaslolamaus View Post
    I tried to watch the video, but it says page not found.
    Do you think you could trap the squirrel if needed?
    Sorry, don't know how to use Smugmug. I uploaded to Youtube..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AidmhHluRTo

It looks to me as though he probably poked it with a twig or something. The eye then leaks serous fluid all over which mixes with gunk from the environment - dirt, leaf bits, etc. It forms almost a cast over the eyeball. I have seen squirrels like this that it eventually falls off revealing a perfectly normal eye, almost like the "cast" protected it. I have seen others that they eye itself was pierced and ultimately while they lost the gunk covering it, the eye underneath just started to disappear - absorbed into the body until they are a one eyed squirrel.

8. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

RockyPops (10-31-2019), TubeDriver (10-31-2019)

Poor baby!

Rooo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    It looks to me as though he probably poked it with a twig or something. The eye then leaks serous fluid all over which mixes with gunk from the environment - dirt, leaf bits, etc. It forms almost a cast over the eyeball. I have seen squirrels like this that it eventually falls off revealing a perfectly normal eye, almost like the "cast" protected it. I have seen others that they eye itself was pierced and ultimately while they lost the gunk covering it, the eye underneath just started to disappear - absorbed into the body until they are a one eyed squirrel.

I am so fascinated by these little guys. I'm glad to know there are others who appreciate them. Haha, people think I'm a little 'off' when I tell them how much I love squirrels. Like I'm mentally ill or something...but how can you not love them? That is interesting about a 'cast' forming. Never knew of such a thing. I hope he gets better. His teeth look like they are broken as well. He eats very gently, like he's in discomfort. I peel his grapes for him.

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rooo from:

RockyPops (10-31-2019)

Thanks for caring and keep us posted on his condition please.

Think you could intervene with meds if you had to?

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post

If it's teeth involvement it will likely need to be captured/contained in order to treat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooo View Post
    His teeth look like they are broken as well. He eats very gently, like he's in discomfort. I peel his grapes for him.
    Not surprised....
    Doubtful he can crack a nut, intervention sounds necessary for survival.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

14. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Grinderhead (11-01-2019), RockyPops (11-01-2019)

Rooo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RockyPops View Post
    Thanks for caring and keep us posted on his condition please.

Think you could intervene with meds if you had to?
    I haven't seen him since I took the video...I'm getting worried. He comes by almost every day. I looked around the area to see if he maybe got hit. Nothing. I wonder if he went somewhere to die?

See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

One way I found to catch in injured squirrel besides a trap that sometimes they won't go into, is to us a throw 50 by 50 inches, and just gently throw it over the squirrel and scoop them up. It worked well for a rehabber I knew that couldn't catch one of their residents. Just

If you need to hold onto the squirrel you can press the squirrel against your chest where they can't do much put up a fuss. Just make sure to where protective gloves and have a cage or box to put them into immediately. If you use a folded towel over them you pick them up that way to treat them.

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

RockyPops (11-07-2019)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.