Thread: 4.5 week old baby questions!

Default 4.5 week old baby questions!

Hey!
    I'm raising my little guy and he's about 4.5 weeks old. He is eating about every 3-4 hours about 5cc's of esbiliac (sp). Thinking about his future I have so many questions!

1. I know i'm supposed to feed him formula for quite a few more weeks, and started to introduce the rodent block and I've got a water bottle, new larger enclosure, and a small mammal mineral rock coming next week. When can I introduce actual foods to him?

2. He won't stop sucking his own wee wee! When he's hungry and ready to eat (usually at the 2-3 hour mark) he will start sucking himself! I can't get him to stop! Tips? Also, while on the subject, how old until I can stop the massaging of the genitalia to get him to pee? He seems to pee fine on his own at this point?

3. Am I still supposed to be getting up through the night to feed him? Can he go more than 3-4 hours? I haven't slept in a month lol not that i'm complaining- hes totally worth it

Thanks in advance!

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cass_ran from:

RockyPops (10-30-2019)

Default Re: 4.5 week old baby questions!

Self-suckling can be a BIG problem. You have to be sure the penis isn’t scabbed over and it prevents him from peeing. If you suspect a scab soak the penis with warm cotton ball compresses and gently remove any scabbing. Many times suckling is a sign of hunger. Are you weighing your little guy every morning to know how much to feed at each feeding? We suggest feeding 5-7% of their weight per feeding. Example a 70gr squirrel would take 3.5-4.9 cc at each feeding. You appear to be on target if your guy is only 70gr, but this is just a guideline. The last squirrels I took in to lighten the load of a rehabber friend ranged in weight from 66-84gr and were 4.5-5 weeks old. They were being fed 6cc at each feeding. Within a few days the larger one was taking 7-7.5cc. You can gradually increase the amount you feed at each feeding if he still seems hungry. Just monitor the poo to be sure it doesn’t get soft which indicates over feeding.

I have yet to find anything that stops suckling. Yuck! doesn’t even work very well. Maybe others will have a suggestion of something to try.

Yes, he can go through the night without a feeding. I like to make my last feeding at 11 or 12pm and then feed in the morning at 7am.

As for stimulating to pee. Yes, they can pee on their own at that age, but by stimulating them you can keep their bin cleaner and it also allows you to monitor their urine output. I usually stimulate for as long as they’ll reasonably let me.

Edit: I notice you’re in Florida. Our squirrels are smaller than their northern counterparts. Please post his weight. It will help others to know if the amount you’re feeding is sufficient.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

RockyPops (10-30-2019)

Thanks for caring for this baby.

Have you seen the Esbilac warnings? The newer cans with the Star and Crafted in the USA is NOT good!

The good cans are powder with a Flag and Made in the USA on it.

I believe Fox Valley 20/50 is the proper formula now.

Your baby have a name? And we love pictures!

Hey guys thanks for the information my little guys name is gator (I’m not exactly sure how old he is I don’t know how old he was when I found him). He weighs approximately 130g and he’s eating anywhere from 7 to 8 syringes every time I feed him now then he passes out. As for the sucking I can I get him to stop! but it seems like my ears are somehow prone to hearing it so as soon as I hear it I prevent him from doing it and kind of hold him until I can get him to stop
    It seems that even if I finish feeding him in two hours he’s hungry again! if feels like he’s always hungry and is always sucking it’s driving me nuts but at least he’s happy I guess.
    As far as his genitals go he’s not red or scabbed over at all and I try to closely monitor it’s where it’s not red or inflamed from him constantly sucking. I don’t feel like I should increase his food only because he’s doing good as far as his bathroom duties and he falls asleep after eating insinuating that I should not give him more right?
    I really appreciate all the advice that you guys of help me with I do have one other question if you don’t mind. I tried to introduce road and block but he doesn’t seem interested in at all not even a little bit won’t go near it. Any suggestions on getting him to look for it? Name:  115F729F-C38E-4786-BCDA-B5BE33B9C461.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  58.7 KBName:  DFB359FB-1DB2-464E-8027-8E5E243F6153.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  54.2 KBName:  115F729F-C38E-4786-BCDA-B5BE33B9C461.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  58.7 KBName:  DFB359FB-1DB2-464E-8027-8E5E243F6153.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  54.2 KBwhen can I start giving him solid foods?

7. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cass_ran:

frankc (11-14-2019), RockyPops (11-06-2019)

He's looks young. Probably to young for rodent block. If he's about 5-6 weeks old he will still need formula. They usually wean at about 10-12 weeks I think.

They try to chew on other stuff but usually don't really eat it, just crumble it up!

He might like sticks to chew on and a deer antler is great.

Gator is precious!

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RockyPops from:

frankc (11-14-2019)

Hi Yes, he's probably 5.5 weeks now, so maybe he is too young for rodent block, but I had read to put it in there with him when his eyes opened. Now he's so curious about everything, I thought maybe he'd want to try to see what its about, but guess not just yet. So No rodent block nibbling til 10 weeks? When can he start getting some veggies?

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cass_ran from:

RockyPops (11-06-2019)

Hi cass, what a beautiful tail your little gator has. Please tell us what formula you are feeding.

You are right-on putting rodent block in the cage with him at this time. It is very important that he eat his rodent very well. I do not put anything else in the bin until they are eating block very very well.

But again, let us know what you formula you have him on. He looks like he could have kitten fur. Don’t know if he came in with compromised body weight or his formula is bad. Tell us how much you feed and how often. If he is not getting good nutrients from his formula or not getting enough food often enough, it could be causing his genital sucking.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

RockyPops (11-06-2019)

he is on esbiliac and he eats about 8-10cc's every 4-5 hours. He ets the rodent block very well now. Ive also given him a grape and a carrot- both of which he loved but it has given him diarrhea so no more until hes back to normal!

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cass_ran from:

RockyPops (11-13-2019)

Cass-ran, do you know about the dangers of Esbilac? The factory changed the formula and it's causing major problems with babies.

The go to formula now is Fox Valley 20/50 after eyes open.

What block are you giving him?

17. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to RockyPops:

HRT4SQRLS (11-13-2019), Nancy in New York (11-14-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by RockyPops View Post
    Cass-ran, do you know about the dangers of Esbilac? The factory changed the formula and it's causing major problems with babies.

The go to formula now is Fox Valley 20/50 after eyes open.

What block are you giving him?
    Cass... this is VERY important. Did you see the warning banner at the top of the TSB front page about Esbilac.
    Esbilac is defective this fall. There are some ‘good’ cans on the shelves but we don’t know which are the good or bad cans. I would HIGHLY recommend that you purchase Fox Valley 20:50 ASAP.
    I’m not being dramatic when I say that Gators life depends on it. Babies on BAD Esbilac are dying. We have seen several on this board with advanced Metabolic Bone Disease from the Esbilac. That should never happen. It is very clear that the product is defective.

19. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

frankc (11-14-2019), Mel1959 (11-14-2019), RockyPops (11-13-2019)

Yes I did read the dangers, I've just been making sure to get the cans of esbilac that say made int he US. But I can switch. Is it safe for him to go to Fox Valley 20/50 or do i need to transition it?

I'm also giving him a carrot everyday, a piece of broccoli, and his mez rodent block. he also has a mineral block. Is there anything else I should be giving him? I read not to introduce fruits so early on because it becomes the favorite and then he doesn't really want much else.

His coat if looking great, he looks very healthy and is very active!

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cass_ran from:

RockyPops (11-14-2019)

Has the self sucking gotten better?

I believe the pros are recommending switching to the fox valley 20/50. Everyone's kinda gun shy on the Esbilac since the problems started but as far as I know the "Made in USA" cans are ok to use until you get the FV in mail. I'll let someone else tell you how to transition.

He is the sweetest thing!

Anymore pictures?