Default Re: Squirrel fell, barely moves after 24hrs - Help needed asap

Is that powder or liquid?
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

RockyPops (10-28-2019)

If the can on the left is powder and has been stored in the freezer since it’s been opened...or fridge if it was recently opened...it looks like it is the old formulation, which is GOOD. We are differentiating the old formulation from the new by the flag logo on the side of the can. The new, BAD formulation no longer has a flag, it has a star and says “crafted in the USA”.

Mix the formula according to the directions, don’t water it down. Go slow.

Where are you located in Florida? There are several vets in the state that will see squirrels, but as was said, Dr. Emerson in Port Orange is the best. If she is too far from you I can direct you to other vets that may be closer if you list your location.

4. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Chirps (10-29-2019), Nancy in New York (10-28-2019), redwuff (10-28-2019), RockyPops (10-28-2019)

Do you have any prednisone, metacam, gabapentin, or tramadol?
    Are you going to try to get her to a vet this morning?
    Thank you for helping this little one.

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

Mel1959 (10-28-2019), RockyPops (10-28-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    Is that powder or liquid?
    Always the powder. Since the can on right is in question that is my newer can I will not use it and return to store. The can on left is still good until Dec and is kept in freezer. I recently had two girls that did awesome on this older can.

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to LanSeaAir:

redwuff (10-28-2019), RockyPops (10-28-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    If the can on the left is powder and has been stored in the freezer since it’s been opened...or fridge if it was recently opened...it looks like it is the old formulation, which is GOOD. We are differentiating the old formulation from the new by the flag logo on the side of the can. The new, BAD formulation no longer has a flag, it has a star and says “crafted in the USA”.

Mix the formula according to the directions, don’t water it down. Go slow.

Where are you located in Florida? There are several vets in the state that will see squirrels, but as was said, Dr. Emerson in Port Orange is the best. If she is too far from you I can direct you to other vets that may be closer if you list your location.
    I am in saint Petersburg Florida. So far this morning 6am 1cc and again at 10am 1.5cc Velda ate formula slowly. She also pooped and peed.
    She did push arms and legs out kind of like a stretch then resumed normal. I been flipping her to keep her comfortable while on heating pad. I don't mind taking her to the vet ...would that be out of own pocket? Or do the vets help us since we rescue. Last time I went to a vet for squirrels was 3 years ago when we had one neutered since we have our own pet squirrels and I had to drive to Lakeland. A neighboor said Animal Emergency on 30th & 26 street N. Guess I can call to see pricing. Most any squirrel I have rehabbed I just treated injuries at home. We have expensive vets here or ones that just put an injured down. I don't want that unless it is spine

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to LanSeaAir from:

RockyPops (10-28-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    Do you have any prednisone, metacam, gabapentin, or tramadol?
    Are you going to try to get her to a vet this morning?
    Thank you for helping this little one.

She is taking Rimadyl 25 mg chewable tabs I have for my dog. Was administered dosing by pm. Zelda has had one dose last night and one at 10am this morning. Rimadyl is a anti inflammatory and pain pill from what label says. However I am checking to see if I can get prednisone. Will advise if I do so you all can advise me further.

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to LanSeaAir:

Nancy in New York (10-28-2019), RockyPops (10-28-2019)

Can you or your mom sub q this baby? She must have more hydration. This might be one reason why this baby is not too interested in eating. Sub q will by-pass the need to swallow. As far as formula, she needs at least 13 ccs 3 - 4 times a day.

As far as a vet is concerned I think she definitely needs to see one. If you don’t have sub q supplies, you could get that from the vet too.
    redwuff
    State Licensed

14. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

LanSeaAir (10-28-2019), RockyPops (10-28-2019)

I sent the finder the name of a highly regarded vet in the St. Pete area via pm.

16. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

LanSeaAir (10-29-2019), Nancy in New York (10-28-2019), redwuff (10-28-2019), RockyPops (10-28-2019), stepnstone (10-28-2019)

How is this baby doing? I know you have your hands full...
    redwuff
    State Licensed

18. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

LanSeaAir (10-29-2019), Mel1959 (10-28-2019), RockyPops (10-28-2019)

I know of LOTS of rehabbers in that area that would be happy to help, either with supplies or assistance. Please let me know if this is something you need. I’ve been thinking and worrying about your little one.

20. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

LanSeaAir (10-28-2019), RockyPops (10-28-2019)

Ok evening update on Vada.... I been so tired that I think even I cant spell her name right lol. I took Vada outside for some Florida sunshine. Her eyes opened and she seemed happy smelling the air and hearing sounds. She was alert. I was able to successfully give her 12 cc in one feeding at 3pm. SHE was more alert. She will get another feeding now and tomorrow we will hit new goals. She also chewed on an apple stick moving her head to chew it. I keep these sticks for release squirrel training. She did go to town and I thought that was good exercise for her. I have a contact now for a vet in my area so will make that call tomorrow. Still no arm, legs or tail movement. I also was able to get predisone so if you feel I should switch that tomorrow let me know however will that help pain? She had her two doses of rimadyl today 10 hrs apart. She is still peeing an pooping normal. She does pee light blood but lots of pee multiple times a day. Thank you all for helping me thru this sad event just keep praying for her.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

22. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to LanSeaAir:

lukaslolamaus (10-29-2019), Mel1959 (10-29-2019), Nancy in New York (10-29-2019), RockyPops (10-28-2019)

I so hope she begins to show signs of improvement!

Prayers sent! For you both!

Some pretty good offers for help you may think about also.

24. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to RockyPops:

LanSeaAir (10-29-2019), Nancy in New York (10-29-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by LanSeaAir View Post
    Ok evening update on Vada.... I been so tired that I think even I cant spell her name right lol. I took Vada outside for some Florida sunshine. Her eyes opened and she seemed happy smelling the air and hearing sounds. She was alert. I was able to successfully give her 12 cc in one feeding at 3pm. SHE was more alert. She will get another feeding now and tomorrow we will hit new goals. She also chewed on an apple stick moving her head to chew it. I keep these sticks for release squirrel training. She did go to town and I thought that was good exercise for her. I have a contact now for a vet in my area so will make that call tomorrow. Still no arm, legs or tail movement. I also was able to get predisone so if you feel I should switch that tomorrow let me know however will that help pain? She had her two doses of rimadyl today 10 hrs apart. She is still peeing an pooping normal. She does pee light blood but lots of pee multiple times a day. Thank you all for helping me thru this sad event just keep praying for her.
    The quicker this little one is on a steroid, the better. IF a steroid is the help she needs
    (as opposed to having something broken, in which case, a steroid won't help) the sooner
    it's given the better. However, she cannot be given Prednisone for at least 24 hours after
    taking Rimadyl.
    If you take her to the vet, please inform them of the drugs she's on.
    If you can't get her to a vet, I suggest that you try to find a couple of prednisone pills
    (we can dose for you if we know her weight)
    which CAN be used with Tramadol (excellent pain reliever).
    You would need to stop the Rimadyl now if we go the Prednisone route.

Thank you for helping this poor little soul.

26. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

Chirps (10-29-2019), LanSeaAir (10-29-2019), Mel1959 (10-29-2019), RockyPops (10-29-2019), TubeDriver (10-29-2019)

Is your princess urinating on her own? So glad she is eating more. Weigh her every day so you can tell if she is losing weight.
    redwuff
    State Licensed

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    The quicker this little one is on a steroid, the better. IF a steroid is the help she needs
    (as opposed to having something broken, in which case, a steroid won't help) the sooner
    it's given the better. However, she cannot be given Prednisone for at least 24 hours after
    taking Rimadyl.
    If you take her to the vet, please inform them of the drugs she's on.
    If you can't get her to a vet, I suggest that you try to find a couple of prednisone pills
    (we can dose for you if we know her weight)
    which CAN be used with Tramadol (excellent pain reliever).
    You would need to stop the Rimadyl now if we go the Prednisone route.

Thank you for helping this poor little soul.

❤, so I was able to get " predNISOLONE 5mg that are breakable into a half 2.5 mg & I have Tramadol 50MG tabs personal script. Yes I would need dosing for both FOR Vada is 214 grams today. I will wait the 24 hrs before making change. However I do have a question..

I read up on Rimadyl and comparing the two (see picture) wouldn't the Rimadyl be better just curious.
    Also how long will she stay on these meds.

Update is yes she lost weight however today's food intake is much improved. Also she is starting to get feeling cause she did flip over on own and she is more sensitive if I clean her private area. Yes she poops and pees whenever she wants to but usually only when I have her. I was able to use crumbs of my Mazuri 5663 and use the formula to make a paste and she took it no problem. Hard to know how much actual was consumed. If their is anything else you all can suggest to help her weight gain. I added 1/8 tsp of heavy whip to formula of 1 scoop powder to 2 tablespoons of H20. Same thing I do for all my baby's that are older then 5 weeks. I guess it is a good sign that she wants to chew the apple stick. She is lapping formula cause her teeth killed two nipples haha so now I have her lap the milk. She tells me when she is done. Her happy time seems to be like 4pm everyday and today she chewed a carrot peace I held. She also been stretching arms and legs out more. She does Chadder at me now lol. Softly. 🐿

Thank you all so much for responses it has helped me stay positive.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

29. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to LanSeaAir:

lukaslolamaus (10-29-2019), Nancy in New York (10-30-2019), RockyPops (10-29-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    Is your princess urinating on her own? So glad she is eating more. Weigh her every day so you can tell if she is losing weight.
    Yes she does both on own. She is more sensitive today when I wipe her clean in lower area. No movement of tail but today she had some moments of movement of body. Like one time she looked as if she shook like a dog however this was during feeding and I keep her on a bean bag laying back for comfort.

214g will monitor everyday and I lowered the am Rimadyl just a bit after I weighed her.

Thank you so much for your help with Vada she sends squirrel kisses your way.

31. Serious fuzzy thank you's to LanSeaAir from:

RockyPops (10-29-2019)

Thanks for the update.

Praying for her!

33. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RockyPops from:

LanSeaAir (10-29-2019)

Just read this thread. Thank you for helping Vada. Adding my prayers to the rest.

35. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chirps from:

LanSeaAir (10-29-2019)

And just my curiosity, do you re-position her from time to time since she can't do it herself?

Poor baby! And I know this is stressful to you!

Quote Originally Posted by LanSeaAir View Post
    Yes she does both on own. She is more sensitive today when I wipe her clean in lower area. No movement of tail but today she had some moments of movement of body. Like one time she looked as if she shook like a dog however this was during feeding and I keep her on a bean bag laying back for comfort.
    Very important not to feed on her back. She should be on her stomach with the syringe pointing up toward the roof of her mouth. Thank you for working so hard to help her!
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

38. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SammysMom:

LanSeaAir (10-29-2019), lukaslolamaus (10-29-2019), RockyPops (10-29-2019)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast