Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Squirrel fell, barely moves after 24hrs - Help needed asap

Default Re: Squirrel fell, barely moves after 24hrs - Help needed asap

Quote Originally Posted by RockyPops View Post
    And just my curiosity, do you re-position her from time to time since she can't do it herself?

Poor baby! And I know this is stressful to you!
    Yes great question! actually first night I was worried cause I am using heating pad on low below her container and it made no sense to have half half (hahaha) cause she can't move so I flipped her myself.....however now a few days in ....last night she flipped herself so now I sleep peacefully. She is an older squirrel cause tonight I examined teeth and her uppers are orange. They look like they should and obviously needed grinding cause she chewed for a whole hour felt like eternity since I was holding stick lol. I told her don't worry I will clean the mess lol. I now use a small bean bag I have to prop her works well. But I get her out a few times a day and stimulate her arms or legs. Will see tomorrow if I can come up with another position for feeding. If I move her a tiny bit, now she will reach her arms out and stretch. She is much more aware now. So keep the prayers coming she is a fighter that is for sure. ❤👍

2. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to LanSeaAir:

Chirps (11-02-2019), redwuff (10-30-2019), RockyPops (10-30-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by LanSeaAir View Post
    ❤, so I was able to get " predNISOLONE 5mg that are breakable into a half 2.5 mg & I have Tramadol 50MG tabs personal script. Yes I would need dosing for both FOR Vada is 214 grams today. I will wait the 24 hrs before making change. However I do have a question..

I read up on Rimadyl and comparing the two (see picture) wouldn't the Rimadyl be better just curious.
    Also how long will she stay on these meds.

I have never used Rimadyl, so I can't comment on which is a better option.
    We have had great success with Prednisone for inflammation. Tramadol
    is a great pain reliever.
    She would typically stay on the Prednisone for a total of 11 days, as it's
    dosed with a step down method. Of course it also depends on how and if
    she responds to it. If it's going to work you would typically notice some
    improvement in ~5 days.
    I know that Mel1959 has a vet (one of the best in the country) that
    leaves them on considerably longer.
    My vet used Gabapentin and Metacam when I had a little "front end"
    "paralyzed" squirrel and it worked wonders.
    Nothing is a guarantee, as it really all depends on the injury.

I hope that others will chime in on which way they would suggest going.
    I'm sure some have more experience than I in this situation.

4. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

Chirps (11-02-2019), LanSeaAir (11-01-2019), Mel1959 (10-30-2019), RockyPops (10-30-2019)

You I also am not familiar with the drug rimadyl. I would think if it was preferred by Dr. Emerson then she would use it. She hasn’t ever mentioned it in any of her talks. In her hand out sheet at one of her talks this is how she describes the use of prednisone and metacam:

Activity of prednisone is dose dependent.
    At lower dose, prednisone is an anti-inflammatory (usual dose 0.25-0.50mg/kg)
    At higher dose, prednisone is immunosuppressant (1-2mg/kg)

Prednisone vs metacam
    Prednisone is an anti-inflammatory for central nervous system tissue
    Metacam is anti-inflammatory for non-nerve tissue.
    (For brain trauma and spinal cord injury...PREDNISONE...PREDNISONE...PREDNISONE)

The info above comes directly from her.

As for the use of Gabapentin, my notes from her lecture was: that it blocks the nerve pain transmission but is better used with metacam or tramadol.

Have you taken this sweetie to the vet? Since there are multiple vets in Florida that will see squirrels I think it’s prudent to get an examination done. It would really be in her best interest to be examined so we know exactly what we’re dealing with. IMO

6. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Chirps (11-02-2019), Grinderhead (10-30-2019), Nancy in New York (10-30-2019), RockyPops (10-30-2019), Scooterzmom (10-31-2019), Vox (10-30-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    You I also am not familiar with the drug rimadyl. I would think if it was preferred by Dr. Emerson then she would use it. She hasn’t ever mentioned it in any of her talks. In her hand out sheet at one of her talks this is how she describes the use of prednisone and metacam:

Prednisone vs metacam
    (For brain trauma and spinal cord injury...PREDNISONE...PREDNISONE...PREDNISONE)

As for the use of Gabapentin, my notes from her lecture was: that it blocks the nerve pain transmission but is better used with metacam or tramadol.

Have you taken this sweetie to the vet? Since there are multiple vets in Florida that will see squirrels I think it’s prudent to get an examination done. It would really be in her best interest to be examined so we know exactly what we’re dealing with. IMO
    Excellent post!
    Thank you Mel!

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

Mel1959 (10-30-2019), RockyPops (10-30-2019)

. What happened with this little one? Did you get her to a vet? Please let us know how she’s doing?

10. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

LanSeaAir (09-01-2020), Nancy in New York (11-01-2019), RockyPops (11-01-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post

Prednisone vs metacam

Thanks Mel ... great information. I have prednisone 5mg tabs and 50mg tramadol per tablet if you can send me dosing info for Vada, her current weight is 205 grams now. It is possible I will be starting at least the prednisone if needed in a few days.

I did take her to the vet oct 30th and she did not show any spinal detachment Yay thank God, she had zero breaks but she did have a mass by bladder possibly from fall that caused her to pee blood. The doctor said I was smart to treat for all symptoms MBD, cause any extra calcium will secrete thru urine when the body doesn't need it so it didn't hurt her doing initial day 1 dose. However the doctor advised me to continue smaller tum dosages twice a day instead of 4x as she built up her strength. In Vada case she went from 100mg down to 25mg calcium. Since she was already on Rimadyl & Antibiotic Clavamox since day 1 he thought it would be best to carry out the 7 days then stop antibiotics and then decide on the predisone. Either way you all helped guide me and the fast responses on here saved Vada life 🐿❤❤❤🐿 This was the hardest rescue I have ever had besides all the IRMA squirrels I took on from burying and driving around collecting hurt squirrels from friemds but luckily my experience of 3 years has paid off with the help and kindness of you all. So thank you from the bottom of my heart.

So you all now want to know her progress, simply amazing. She has never had abnormal poop not once yet. If anything she makes a small pile all on her own when I get her up. Her pee is normal now, her tail is now moving and has fluffed out. She has complete use of rear legs, ears are up and eyes are clear now. She can squat now like a squirrel however not using hands to hold yet so yes that has been challenging but I fed her on belly and continued to figure out ways to help her get proper nutrients.....so with emulsifier I made a batch of "spinach, small peace of apple, carrot, water, and the crumbs from 5663 Mazuri and after she has chewed several plastic tips I used a bigger syringe that allowed her to get the food herself as it came out. Since she was an older squirrel you can't feed like a baby. Yesterday she was chewing her own food as she made her way around the bin but today she actually started gaining her weight back so that made me happy. Everyday we sit in the sunshine but she did bite me yesterday when she got startled and my pinky was their.. (ouch) but I will live. So just seeing these pics will make all our hearts smile. So happy I was picked for this rescue cause the outcome could have been different for her. 🐿❤❤🐿👍👍 Marykay & Vada
    Attached Images Attached Images     

12. 9 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to LanSeaAir:

Chirps (11-02-2019), Diggie's Friend (11-04-2019), Grinderhead (11-02-2019), lukaslolamaus (11-02-2019), Mel1959 (11-02-2019), Nancy in New York (11-02-2019), redwuff (11-02-2019), RockyPops (11-02-2019), stepnstone (11-02-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by SammysMom View Post
    Very important not to feed on her back. She should be on her stomach with the syringe pointing up toward the roof of her mouth. Thank you for working so hard to help her!

Thanks for that info, because she was paralyzed I was not thinking but after your post I used a towel roll to have her lean over and then her back legs adjusted and she ate much better so thanks for noticing from my pics. I think her teeth needed grinding cause she devoured 3 sticks since day 2 and I hope most would think just cause they are sick they really know what they want. She clicks now when she is done with food with me lol.

14. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to LanSeaAir:

Diggie's Friend (11-04-2019), Grinderhead (11-02-2019), lukaslolamaus (11-02-2019), Mel1959 (11-02-2019), Nancy in New York (11-02-2019), RockyPops (11-02-2019)

Yay!

I love good news stories!

Vada is doing so much better. Thank you for the dedication you continue to show for her.

Thanks for the update.

She 's beautiful and more pics please when you can.

16. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to RockyPops:

LanSeaAir (11-02-2019), lukaslolamaus (11-02-2019)

wow, just wow! Good job Momma
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

18. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

LanSeaAir (11-04-2019), RockyPops (11-02-2019)

Vada day 8 update. She does not use upper arms to hold anything yet. She tucks one arm but right seems strong. She is strong girl now trying to jump out of box when I offer her food mixture. Day 7 stopped antibiotics but how long should she stay on pain management/anti inflammatory?? She can move fast and jump up that's for sure. I moved her into cage with no height just flat bottom so she can try to get food or water on own but right now I feed her in am, afternoon and snack, potty and meds before bed.

She sleeps not so active yet only when I take her out of bed haha. I figured she is still healing. The good news is she not biting or getting MAD at me anymore but she does try to leap away. Why don't they make squirrel harnesses? I never had one that worked.

Enjoy the pics from Vada
    Attached Images Attached Images     

20. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to LanSeaAir:

Nancy in New York (11-06-2019), RockyPops (11-05-2019)

Vada day 8 update. She does not use upper arms to hold anything yet.
    I've posted this before but wanted you to see how the right combo of drugs helped
    my little one. He came in with no movement in his arms. My vet put him on
    Gabapentin and Metacam, and after a week, he was up and walking (wobbly, but walking)

This was the day I got him.
    https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-...2VzjTF-640.mp4

This is Harvey on release day.
    https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-...F6LJWP-640.mp4

Just for giggles, here he is chasing a bunny off his property.
    https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-...cLv7QG-640.mp4

Good luck with your little one.

22. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

island rehabber (11-05-2019), LanSeaAir (11-05-2019), Mel1959 (11-05-2019), RockyPops (11-05-2019), stepnstone (11-05-2019)

You may want to reach out to Milo's Mom here on TSB: her Snags has a harness that works very well for her.
    Do you do some physical therapy with her on her arms? Gently rotating at the shoulder......pushing forearms in and out, slowly. This can work wonders with these little ones. If it's nerve damage it can take a really long time to heal.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

24. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Mel1959 (11-05-2019), RockyPops (11-05-2019)

Nancy I am so glad you posted -- was thinking about Harvey as I caught up with LanSeaAir's thread!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

26. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Mel1959 (11-05-2019), Nancy in New York (11-05-2019), RockyPops (11-05-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    Nancy I am so glad you posted -- was thinking about Harvey as I caught up with LanSeaAir's thread!

28. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

RockyPops (11-05-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    I've posted this before but wanted you to see how the right combo of drugs helped
    my little one. He came in with no movement in his arms. My vet put him on
    Gabapentin and Metacam, and after a week, he was up and walking (wobbly, but walking)

This was the day I got him.
    https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-...2VzjTF-640.mp4

This is Harvey on release day.
    https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-...F6LJWP-640.mp4

Just for giggles, here he is chasing a bunny off his property.
    https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-...cLv7QG-640.mp4

Good luck with your little one.

Amazing thanks for sharing. Well she does want to run off like a scared bullet. Had a temporary harness I tried but only was short lived. She is wobble with fronts but yes if she uses hands then I will be able to release back however she is a bit off but getting strong.

30. Serious fuzzy thank you's to LanSeaAir from:

Nancy in New York (11-06-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    You may want to reach out to Milo's Mom here on TSB: her Snags has a harness that works very well for her.
    Do you do some physical therapy with her on her arms? Gently rotating at the shoulder......pushing forearms in and out, slowly. This can work wonders with these little ones. If it's nerve damage it can take a really long time to heal.
    I was hoping to let her use a small cat tree for exercise with a harness but right now if you put her down she takes off crazy on ground but zero balance in front. However I did therapy for the 1st week before she got active feels like eternity but now if she gets mad at me or startled she bites me. And harder to handle but she does get out of bed to pee on her own and she ate blocks on her own today nibbled while they where in a flat dish. She also lapped water. However I think she is probably missing her family or just scared. Much different caring for a wild squirrel then a newborn raised by you. Hopefully she will continue to heal.

32. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to LanSeaAir:

Nancy in New York (11-06-2019), RockyPops (11-06-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    Thanks Nancy amazing wow. Wonders of meds with these squirrels. I will say Vada wants to run off but she is still wobble and she doesn't climb like others would. However in a week she has bounced back a lot. So should I continue the meds twice a day or once a Day? She is strong and harder to handle now cause she wants to run away. Unless I want to carry her in a pouch she will stay resting in it. I know she needs to have balance or be able to use hands before she can be soft released. I was happy today seeing that she ate a block just by nibbling it on a flat plate I had in cage to somewhat hold them. She lapped water so that's improved. She ate a grape no problem lol. Let me know twice a day or is just once on the medicine for anti-inflammatory / pain ok to continue until full recovery?

34. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to LanSeaAir:

Nancy in New York (11-06-2019), RockyPops (11-06-2019)

Thanks Nancy amazing wow. Wonders of meds with these squirrels. I will say Vada wants to run off but she is still wobble and she doesn't climb like others would. However in a week she has bounced back a lot. So should I continue the meds twice a day or once a Day? She is strong and harder to handle now cause she wants to run away. Unless I want to carry her in a pouch she will stay resting in it. I know she needs to have balance or be able to use hands before she can be soft released. I was happy today seeing that she ate a block just by nibbling it on a flat plate I had in cage to somewhat hold them. She lapped water so that's improved. She ate a grape no problem lol. Let me know twice a day or is just once on the medicine for anti-inflammatory / pain ok to continue until full recovery?

I'm glad that Vada is doing better.
    Please remind me again what drugs she's on.
    What is she eating on a regular basis?
    Is she on formula? How much water does
    she drink daily? Hydration is so important.

36. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

RockyPops (11-06-2019)

More good news from little Vada!

Good job and bless you LanSeaAir!

38. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to RockyPops:

LanSeaAir (11-06-2019), Nancy in New York (11-06-2019)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123