Thread: Release or Overwinter?

Threaded View

Default Release or Overwinter?

Hi Everyone!
    I'm torn by what's to my squirrels best interest as far as releasing him or keeping him thru the cold mos. I'm not really sure of his age (exactly) but I think a fair estimate would be at least 4-5 mos. That being said he was orphaned by his momma and I had to take him in and provide his care. He has a dog cage (large) and inside I put a nesting box, he was going in there at first and now he doesn't seem to want anything to do with it, however he is in my house currently and has a whole room to himself, but I don't think he's happy being inside and I have put him out a few times and he either gets attacked by the other wilds or he just comes back. I had intended to try and release again this weekend but the weather says cold, poss rain, and snow. Now "Andy" has no foraged food out in my yard nor has a den or drey. But I always kept his cage out so he knows he has a safe place. I'm worried about him starving or freezing because he is a singleton/orphaned male. I would not have a problem if I had to overwinter him but I want to do everything within my ability to ensure his success/survival. Sorry for rambling on....

Andy's foster mom🐿

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Andylove1:

gunpackingrandma (10-25-2019), RockyPops (10-24-2019)