Thread: Just have some questions

Leebrady Guest

Default Just have some questions

Is there a vid or if someone knows squirrels behavior. Got a baby squirrel through work (vet), he's about to be 4mths old. I plained on releasing him but he's too human friendly & doesn't like the outside. Since it looks like he's probably going to be a "pet", I want to make sure I'm understanding HIS language & speak to him back. As a kid I helped raise squirrels, but they never acted like this.

remmy567 Guest

Default Re: Just have some questions

He may seem friendly now but most squirrel will become wild with just a little less human contact. Once he is weaned put him in an outdoor cage for a few weeks. He should be fine to be released, although you should not release if in north america right now. They will not have enough food to survive. You can overwinter them inside or outside, they are fine either way. But trust me, you do not want to keep them as a pet.

Do you have any videos of him? Pics?

He’s still young and has time to wild up. If you build an outdoor cage and let him stay in it for a while he will wild up. You can do a soft release and if he doesn’t want to leave then you’ll know. He may come and go as he pleases. I release mine at 6 months but since he’s kind of tame and winter is coming I would winterize him and release in the spring.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to BamaHam from:

RockyPops (10-23-2019)

Leebrady Guest

Thanks for letting me know he's going to be able to be released. I do plan on taking him to an exotic vet just give him clean bill of health. But it still interests me to learn their language. Dog & cat comes nature to me since being raised around them all my life & dog/cat phsycology vid.s out there to explain what sounds/body posture means. Oh & I have materials & have started build an outside enclosure 😊. Waiting on stupid Louisana weather to stop raining. Still new to this website.....trying to get some pic.s asap.

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Leebrady from:

RockyPops (10-23-2019)

Well...where to begin! Squirrels make all kinds of noises for various different things. They purr and grunt when they’re content or playing. They make an alarm sound and quickly flick their tail when they hear or sense danger. They will stop and freeze when they hear an unusual noise or are startled. But most importantly, they will chatter their teeth when they are angry and are likely to bite. A squirrel bite can be vicious and their nails are like razors when they use them to get away.

Your little guy can definitely be released. Many folks are forced to over winter their babies because of where they live so that could mean their squirrels are with them for 7 months or more. As squirrels mature a combination of hormones and instinct kicks in and most long for the trees. As this happens, most squirrels become aggressive, even if they had been sweet and cuddly before. There have been many situations where squirrels that had been kept for years as pets were successfully reintroduced to the wild with the proper adjustment time.

If you’re building an outside enclosure for him and plan on overwintering him, please be sure to provide him a wooden nest box or cube with fleece or something to line it with. I’m assuming Louisiana can get pretty chilly in winter and he won’t have a buddy to snuggle with.

To keep a healthy squirrel in an outside enclosure indefinitely would be torture for him....to be able to hear and see the other squirrels enjoying freedom but never be able to participate. IMO.

9. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Mialouise (10-23-2019), RockyPops (10-23-2019)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.