Thread: Water bottle not being used....

Default Water bottle not being used....

Anyone else have issues with your baby squirrels not using the wattle bottle? Should I put a bowl of water in the cage instead or have both? They lap up the warming water I use for the formula and I think it’s because they haven’t mastered the water bottle...know any tricks?

Default Re: Water bottle not being used....

I always provide babies - and adults - both options. For a water bowl for babies, please take this precaution: They don't really understand lapping yet and tend to shove their nose underwater - and can aspirate themselves doing it. Fill a small flat bowl with either smooth, washed stones or glass marbles and fill with water so it comes up just to the top of the marbles. It will prevent them from shoving their face in all the way and choking themselves. My little flying squirrel stole and stashed his glass marbles for quite a while - his precious gems! He finally learned they would always be there in his dish and he didn't have to sleep with them anymore!

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Mialouise (10-22-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    I always provide babies - and adults - both options. For a water bowl for babies, please take this precaution: They don't really understand lapping yet and tend to shove their nose underwater - and can aspirate themselves doing it. Fill a small flat bowl with either smooth, washed stones or glass marbles and fill with water so it comes up just to the top of the marbles. It will prevent them from shoving their face in all the way and choking themselves. My little flying squirrel stole and stashed his glass marbles for quite a while - his precious gems! He finally learned they would always be there in his dish and he didn't have to sleep with them anymore!
    Thank you!! The aspirating thing was what I was most worried about. I will use the pebbles!

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Tmstrat:

RockyPops (10-21-2019), Samthesquiirrel (10-31-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Tmstrat View Post
    Thank you!! The aspirating thing was what I was most worried about. I will use the pebbles!
    This is the same concern I had. I will also try a flat container with marbles. Another question is what all can my baby eat once weening starts. I can’t get her to drink formula anymore and I’m worried she isn’t getting enough calories or nutrients now. I don’t think she is but 6-7 weeks but is refusing formula.

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Connie1963 from:

RockyPops (10-23-2019)

Hi Connie,

Welcome!

It would help for you to start your own thread so we can give you special attention. It is very unusual for babies to wean themselves at 6-7 weeks. At this age they act at every feed like they have been starving for years.

What formula are you feeding? Posting a picture would help us a lot. Do you hear your baby clicking, has he aspirated on formula or water recently? Is your baby lethargic?
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

9. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

Mel1959 (10-23-2019), Mialouise (10-23-2019), RockyPops (10-23-2019)