Thread: NEED REFERENCE FOR VETERINARY IN CANADA TO SPAY A FEMALE SKUNK

Default NEED REFERENCE FOR VETERINARY IN CANADA TO SPAY A FEMALE SKUNK

Hi forum; I have an unorthodox request today. I have a very good friend of mine in Canada that rescues wildlife in an area of Canada quite distant from other licensed rehabbers, and she has a six month old female striped skunk that is Non Releasable back into the wild.

Unfortunately, the skunk has begun to show the signs of going into maturity or estrus, and has been having urine leaks here and there in the house. Dr. Alicia Emerson confirmed that this can be caused by the early signs of hormonal changes and since my friend already treated the skunk for possible UTI infection, Dr. Emerson professional opinion is to spay her to avoid the side effects (and life threatening ones at that) of hyperestrogenism (read this good article on the subject: https://avianandexoticvets.com/spayi...cular%20cancer. )

So my coming to this forum is to find out if anyone is listening in Canada or the USA that knows a wildlife-friendly vet in Canada (anywhere is fine) that might be amicable to see and do the spaying for my friend's skunk. As I know this forum is a wealth of information on many topics, beyond that o squirrels and we all network like busy beavers when we have a chance to safe a precious animal life, I am hoping someone might chime through or PM me with some good news.

Thank you all for any support or help!

Trooper's dad,

Name:  IMG_5918.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  113.9 KBName:  IMG_5919.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  103.0 KB
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________________________
    " When you save someone's life, you're responsible for theirs for the rest of yours" - Confucius
    Trooper's Troop: Plain, Rufina, Scratchy, Runty, Blackie, Beanie, Biff, PreetyBoy, Limpy, Jaws, Scarface, Badtail and Housemama
    Trooper's Story at: http://www.mixbook.com/photo-books/interests/trooper-friends-9554554?vk=759PD8gn7A

Default Re: NEED REFERENCE FOR VETERINARY IN CANADA TO SPAY A FEMALE SKUNK

Here’s some resources in Canada. Maybe they can help. Stormhaven Garden Wildlife Rehabilitation, Ontario, 519-400-3108. The owner is a member, Guelph. Another resource, look up Ecureuil Land on Facebook. A well respected TSB member is Scooterzmom, she’s in Canada and might have some ideas. PM her. I have names of other members, but they’re rarely online. I hope one of these will help.

I know Dr. E recently told a colleague that had to perform a spay on a squirrel while she was unavailable, “to treat the squirrel as though it was a kitten”. Everything went fine.

Mel1959; thank you so much for your prompt and informative reply. I will follow each and all your leads diligently. Yes, I was with Dr. E in FL last october for other squirrel she operated for me, and she said spaying a skunk is no big deal.
    Do you know if Stormheaven is "actually" capable to see and spay a skunk from my "non licensed" friend?

Regards,

Trooper's dad
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________________________
    " When you save someone's life, you're responsible for theirs for the rest of yours" - Confucius
    Trooper's Troop: Plain, Rufina, Scratchy, Runty, Blackie, Beanie, Biff, PreetyBoy, Limpy, Jaws, Scarface, Badtail and Housemama
    Trooper's Story at: http://www.mixbook.com/photo-books/interests/trooper-friends-9554554?vk=759PD8gn7A

Mel1959: FYI, just find out Stormhaven Garden Wildlife Rehabilitation, has closed door permanently in May 2020.

Trooper's dad

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Trooper from:

island rehabber (01-24-2021)

Just my two cents here. If your friend uses feed that contains soy and/or wheat, both of which are known for their estrogenic properties which may bring on premature puberty in mammals, changing to a feed that doesn't contain either of these source is advisable.

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

Mel1959 (01-25-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper View Post
    Mel1959: FYI, just find out Stormhaven Garden Wildlife Rehabilitation, has closed door permanently in May 2020.

Trooper's dad
    Oh no, I’m sorry. I will make a note of that. Please reach out to skooterzmom via pm. She is on TSB more often than other Canadian members.

I have sent a msg to another member asking her to alert skooterzmom to this thread. I hope she can help.

Thank you Mel1959. I sent a PM to Scooterzmom.

Trooper's dad

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Trooper from:

Scooterzmom (01-25-2021)

In Canada the laws vary from province to province when it comes to wildlife. Even what animals are considered wildlife (in some cases like squirrels) can vary. Some provinces will issue special permits for wildlife owners, others will not allow anyone to own wildlife of ay sort, unless it is for rehabbing.

Therefore, it can be easier, or harder, to find a vet for some of our dearest furry or feathered friends, and that is where it might be useful to know where your friend is from.

Here in Quebec, vets who will accept to treat your wildlife friend, if you don't have a permit, are as rare and hard to find as the pope's poop.

I do hope that the numbers I gave you can help. Not publishing them here since the 2nd one I gave you has helped me without the normally required papers. Please don't mention me by name there. I wouldn't want my vet there to to think I'm going to bring tons of out-of-the-ordinary requests *shhhhhh
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

13. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Scooterzmom:

Mel1959 (01-25-2021), stepnstone (01-25-2021)

Hi Scooterzmom: thank you so much for your reply. I suppose you sent me the numbers via PM, however I just refreshed and check my PM inbox and I do not have it. Can you re-send please?

Trooper's dad

Mel1959: I was trying to send you a PM and I got this message from TSB:

Mel1959 has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space

Time for housekeeping?

Cheers,

Trooper's dad

Mel1959: I was trying to send you a PM and I got this message from TSB:

Mel1959 has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space

Time for housekeeping?

Cheers,

Trooper's dad
    Thanks, I cleaned house!

Stormhaven Garden Wildlife Rehabilitation, has closed door permanently in May 2020.

...that's really sad!
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

You may want to try Ontario Veterinary College Health Sciences Centre - at (519) 823-8830. It's the top vet school in Canada. They may be able to inform you better. Who knows... with a bit of luck they might want to do the surgery themselves.
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Scooterzmom from:

Mel1959 (01-26-2021)

I never realized how adorable a skunk is, awwwww😍
    Hope they find help 🙏
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this