Thread: PLEASE HELP ME! Sick European squirrel

squirrel_love_germany Guest

Unhappy PLEASE HELP ME! Sick European squirrel

Hello everybody, I need your expertise.
    Last year I had Anton. Skull-brain trauma with tremor. He always drank a lot of water after not wanting milk anymore. And he also peed a lot. And he was always quite strong - thicker than other squirrels. He spent the winter with me and in spring I put him in an outdoor aviary for the handicapped. Together with Holly, who overcame him and was not normal either. Holly died recently. It probably started with a big eye, she was limp and suddenly dead. Now Anton is suddenly limp, has diarrhoea, hardly moves, bends together. I haven't seen him for a while now, but he is probably rather fat. Tomorrow I will know more. He's with our vet right now and she suspects Metabolic Bone Desease - because he doesn't move or bend. He gets porridge with calcium. But he doesn't seem to have much appetite either. He's in a small transporter, he doesn't need any more because he's so weak. I will fetch him tomorrow and would like to know: what do you advise me? how should I treat him? What can that be? Do you have experiences with adenovirus? We have to do with it a lot in Europe, but we have no medication against it I hope, that it is not adeno. I love him so much

Default Re: PLEASE HELP ME! Sick European squirrel

Welcome to TheSquirrelBoard

Sorry to hear that your friend is sick. Can you tell us exactly what the diet is? That will give us a lot of information. Metabolic Bone Disease is caused by a calcium deficient diet. It’s the first place to start because it is the most common affliction we see on this board.

3. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

lukaslolamaus (10-20-2019), redwuff (10-20-2019), RockyPops (10-19-2019)

Hello, thanks for your answer. He is an adult (about over one year) and lives in an aviary, because his cranio cerebral injury as a child. He is to slow for the wilderness. There he gets different seeds of European trees: from European conifers and haselnuts, walnuts. Fresh food like apple, mushrooms, zucchini, carrot, berries. A salt stone and a mineral stone as well. and water - sure. Her is drinkung a lot und peeing a lot since his childhood. I had a lot of squirrels, but this is not normal. He pee sniffs strange - it is stern. He loves nuts! Since one week he is getting only porridge out of apple and banana with cacium. He lost weight. Because of the pee he is getting antibiotics now.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to squirrel_love_germany from:

RockyPops (10-20-2019)

In this old thread from June that you posted about a squirrel, I suggested a couple sources that might be able to help you with diet. They are listed in post #10. I know that they are not local to you, but they might be able to give you dietary advice or can connect you with local to you.
    They are Facebook rescue groups and I have been following them for a couple of years.
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...hout-paralysis

Here is a list of healthy vegetables we feed the squirrels in rehab in addition to rodent blocks. I've been away from Germany for so long that I don't know what kind of rodent blocks are available.
    https://www.henryspets.com/healthy-d...pet-squirrels/

7. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to lukaslolamaus:

Nancy in New York (10-21-2019), RockyPops (10-20-2019), TubeDriver (10-25-2019)

Thank you! I never heard about rodent blocks in germany - sorry. I am part of an huge squirrel organisation with a lot of experts (Eichhörnchen Schutz e.V. in Munich) and I am also very well connected in the whole country to other experts. I know what they need and eat. f.e.: we do not feed avocados because of the persin - it is poison: https://www.aspca.org/news/scoop-avocado-and-your-pets

And I have a lot of stuff from Henry's meanwhile. Also the Henry Blocks. But he doesn't like them
    So he is getting calciumcarbonate a lot now. And this evening he will be X-rayed by the vet. We are not sure, that this is MBD. I could be anything else.

9. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to squirrel_love_germany:

lukaslolamaus (10-25-2019), RockyPops (10-25-2019)

Hopefully the xrays will give you some answers.
    The Henry's blocks is what most of us feed our squirrels.
    The 3 boys that are currently in my care love the hazelnut block.
    Maybe if you put a small amount of nutella or coconut oil on the block he would eat it.
    Be sure to store the block in the freezer.
    Please keep us updated.

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to lukaslolamaus from:

RockyPops (10-25-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by lukaslolamaus View Post
    Hopefully the xrays will give you some answers.
    The Henry's blocks is what most of us feed our squirrels.
    The 3 boys that are currently in my care love the hazelnut block.
    Maybe if you put a small amount of nutella or coconut oil on the block he would eat it.
    Be sure to store the block in the freezer.
    Please keep us updated.
    Thank you! I can give the all-clear: it's not MBD. Mineralization of bones is very good. He's got a broken fibula. 6 weeks rest and everything will be fine. Nevertheless: thank you so much! And my blocks are in the freezer And: i do not use Nutellla because of sugar. I take pure hazelnut mush from the organic store

13. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to squirrel_love_germany:

lukaslolamaus (10-25-2019), RockyPops (10-25-2019), TubeDriver (10-25-2019)

I'm glad that it is not MBD, I treated 2 cases this year both due to poor diet. The girl about 10 weeks old when she came to me raised on the wrong formula, she made a complete recovery.
    The boy came to me at 5 months old in really bad shape and also made a complete recovery.
    What is your little friend's name? and we LOVE pictures.
    I hope he has a speedy complication free recovery.

15. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to lukaslolamaus:

RockyPops (10-25-2019), TubeDriver (10-25-2019)

If you can get UK Amazon.com, Organic Chia oil (lfood grade - not for hair or skin, or a carrier oil), that is super healthy with higher Omega 3 than Omega 6 (see label
    you may want to try it on the block. Organic food grade chia oil has worked with some squirrels to change their mind about accepting the rodent block. It's worth a try; if then it is still rejected perhaps crush the block and mix the 2 drops into the crushed block, with a bit of organic virgin coconut oil to give it more appeal. Coconut oil was found in rat research to support healthy bones. It also would lend support to healing bone.

Looks like this one is for eating; be very careful in choosing a food grade chia oil, for not al that are offered on this website are for consumption.
    For example, some note for hair or skin, give them a pass.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SeedsOfWell...0&sr=8-1-fkmr1

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.