Thread: Flying squirrels

Default Flying squirrels

Last night 2 flying squirrels came into my care, based on my research and reading I believe them to be 5-6 weeks old but I知 sure you guys can help me with that, I am new to squirrel rehabilitation and have just gotten my grey squirrels to the 9 week mark (from 2 days old) but decided I would try to get them through the night and then decide in the morning if I wanted to find a licensed rehabber or try and care for them myself, one of the squirrels did have a small wound, I cleaned it up it is very close to the genitalia and there was a lot of build up where she had try to go to the bathroom I cleaned it up and helped her go potty, the first couple times it was a little bloody but it seems okay now. At first I could only get them to take a couple drops of my fox valley formula but when I just fed they actually drank some (a little more than a few drops) themselves (I understand they only eat 1 ml but I still feel like they are not eating enough) but the fact that they actually drank some made me thrilled.The uninjured baby is fairly active and moves around well, the other one moves around well but is slightly less active. Also I am assuming their mother already started feeding them solid foods as this is the age they do that, if I知 correct is there any roots and such I should collect and try to give them? I put in some small pieces of banana and apple but they seemed mostly uninterested. They are also very vocal, which I understand is in their nature but should I be worried about that?
    Attached Images Attached Images      

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Faithb from:

RockyPops (10-19-2019)

Default Re: Flying squirrels

Thank you for helping these babies!

Someone with flyer knowledge will check this thread. Check back here often for help.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RockyPops from:

Faithb (10-19-2019)

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-and-age/page3

The link above gives an age vs weight chart on post #1. Based on the chart the babies are about 4 weeks maybe close to 5. The eyes open at 28 days.
    I’m sure you probably hydrated them first. I’m glad to hear they took the formula. I would concentrate on hydration and formula right now.
    Then you can offer them a rodent block to nibble on. I would cut a singly block into smaller pieces. When they are eating that you can give them veggies, mushrooms, waxworms/meal worms. I believe the worms are an acquired taste as babies don’t know exactly what to do with them. My boys also get a pinch of rolled oats, PureBites dehydrated chicken but that is for when they are older.

Edit... be sure to hydrate them first. When hydrated they should take the formula.
    Some are chirpy little things. They were probably calling their mom.

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Faithb (10-19-2019), RockyPops (10-19-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-and-age/page3

The link above gives an age vs weight chart on post #1. Based on the chart the babies are about 4 weeks maybe close to 5. The eyes open at 28 days.
    I知 sure you probably hydrated them first. I知 glad to hear they took the formula. I would concentrate on hydration and formula right now.
    Then you can offer them a rodent block to nibble on. I would cut a singly block into smaller pieces. When they are eating that you can give them veggies, mushrooms, waxworms/meal worms. I believe the worms are an acquired taste as babies don稚 know exactly what to do with them. My boys also get a pinch of rolled oats, PureBites dehydrated chicken but that is for when they are older.

Edit... be sure to hydrate them first. When hydrated they should take the formula.
    Some are chirpy little things. They were probably calling their mom.
    Thank you! I fed about 20 minutes ago and one ate a half a ml and the other a full one so I am hopeful for them! Thank you, when I did the test to see if they were hydrated they were but I still gave a bit of pedialite, I also gave instructions to the people who found them on how to hydrate them since they had them sfor 12 hours. But have been checking to make sure they are hydrated. Thank you for the insight and the link

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Faithb from:

RockyPops (10-19-2019)

Watch for AP in these babies. AP is high on the list when finders attempt to feed or hydrate.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

Faithb (10-19-2019), RockyPops (10-19-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    Watch for AP in these babies. AP is high on the list when finders attempt to feed or hydrate.
    Yes I have been using the same nipple I use for the greys, they don稚 put it in their mouth though they only take a few drops at a time, they are starting to feed better. I check for clicking every feeding.

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Faithb from:

RockyPops (10-19-2019)