Thread: Ohio help needed with young squirrel.

coopersdad Guest

Default Ohio help needed with young squirrel.

Hello all and thanks for having me. I would also like to thank all of you fine folks who care for these wonderful animals. Pleas allow me to share my story of how I become an unwitting care giver to a baby black squirrel.

about a week ago I was standing in my driveway talking to a couple friends of mine around 10:30 p.m. quite dark out, I felt something jump on my leg and not being able to see what it was off hand was freaking out at what it could be! living in a suburb of Cleveland, Ohio I never had anything jump and cling to my leg like that in the dark and quite unexpectedly. my friend turned the flashlight on his phone and exclaimed "it's a GD squirrel!!"

well that calmed me down and I immediately thought to myself that this little guy may have some issues being that late and dark I had never seen a squirrel out that late. we have a ton of black walnut trees in the yard and we are used to seeing squirrels enjoying them but again never that late. Knowing now it was a squirrel and a very young one at that was able to place him on the ground gently and went to the garage to grab the travel cage my Daughter uses to transport her pet rats. the little guy was still hanging around my 2 friends when I returned about a minute later and I placed him the cage, I certainly thought that I did not want to leave him outside in the dark by himself not knowing if Mom was close or even available to come for him. I live on a busy street and see unfortunate "accidents" much more than any animal lover would ever want to see.

I made the decision to take him inside and when in the light saw that this poor dude was covered in fleas, with my adult daughters aid we bathed him in warm water with puppy flea shampoo (my god I hope that was o.k.) flea combed him to remove the leftovers and gently blew dry him. seeing as the time was now at least 11:30 running out to a pet store was out. We made the home made pedialyte after reading about dehydration and using an eye dropper we still had from the baby rabbits that came our way a few years back were able to get some fluids into him. we placed him in a larger cage with cedar bedding that my daughter has for her rats placed a heating pad under one half of the cage, placed some t-shirts inside. the squirrel burrowed in and seemed to fall fast asleep. all good yes? Well he seems healthy and he poops and pees what I can only guess from reading as normal.

the weather now has turned cold I would really love to see this guy back out free where he belongs but I am so worried that without his Mom he may not be able to cope with winter coming. I need some advice please on what to do or of there is a pro rehabber in the Cleveland Ohio area that would take this little guy and get him back where he belongs before my heart won't let him go. I have been following instructions about feeding BUT I can't get him to eat the rodent blocks I had overnighted, he surely likes almonds but I am fully aware that he needs other nutrition and I am at a loss as to how to get that into him so he can remain healthy. Offers of fruits and veggies are spurned. I apologize for the long post but I am desperate to help him.

Thanks and God Bless you folks!

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to coopersdad from:

Nancy in New York (10-17-2019)

Default Re: New Members Here

Welcome, welcome! I dont have a lot of time now (at work) But I can pass along a few hints to you: 1st back off on the almonds and any other nut for now, one per day in the evening is all you're going to give him. that will get him to eat the rodent blocks or Henry blocks that you're offering because otherwise you will have a nut junkie on your hands and his health will suffer for it. It's like giving a human child nothing but Reese's peanut butter cups to live on . Try a few of these veggies from the squirrel top 40 list: Sugar snap peas, Dandelion greens, Escarole. If you can find the Asian sweet potato often called Yama or batata-- Purple red outside and pure white inside-- Squirrels love them! also butternut squash. You want to release him before all the leaves are gone from the trees. not sure what your weather is compared to New York City but our leaves are usually OK till Thanksgiving ...that way a juvenile squirrel has some leaf cover to protect him. Keep asking questions and others will be happy to help too. Sorry for run on sentences I have to talk into my phone lol
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

coopersdad Guest

Thank you for taking the time to reply Island Rehabber!

I am also at work but this guy is consuming my thoughts as I would be heartbroken if he fell ill and by my hand at that!
    I will be at the grocers tonight locating the vegetable items as recommended. the weather is getting rough here already, high wind, rain and cold which is why I am so hesitant to release him out there. I hope I did not ruin this creature by taking him inside. I think my heart overruled my head.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to coopersdad from:

RockyPops (10-21-2019)

to TheSquirrelBoard

Thanks for rescuing the little guy. It would be great if you can post a pic. That would help us determine the age. More than likely the baby needs formula. The formula recommended is Fox Valley 20:50 but unfortunately it has to be ordered online. The scenario you described is actually pretty common. A baby that is lost or when the mother has not returned to the nest will often seek out help from humans. Actually it’s pretty common to hear the words, “a baby squirrel just climbed out my leg”. Like you, I would have probably done a dance right there is something crawled up my leg after dark.
    Babies that have a mom don’t approach humans so it’s possible the mother was killed. Could you look for other babies?

Here is a information link for baby squirrel care. https://www.henryspets.com/1-caring-...baby-squirrel/

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

RockyPops (10-21-2019)

I know we have members in Ohio so we might be able to find a rehabber for you.

squirrelsrule&bunnies2 is in NE Ohio. I bet she is near Cleveland. She worked with a Wildlife Center. Does anyone remember the name of that center?

MommaLuvy is also Ohio but she is 4 hrs away. (Cincinnati)
    You could actually contact this person and ask for a reference for someone in your area. Rehabbers network so they know each other. http://www.stmelangellsmallmammalsanctuary.org/
    Tell her TSB sent you. We don’t make recommendations if we don’t know the rehabber or the center. Some have questionable practices so we only refer typo those we know or a recommendation from them.

9. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

island rehabber (10-18-2019), RockyPops (10-21-2019)

coopersdad Guest

Thank you all.

I will definitely seek out some help hopefully in my area and if not a road trip may be in store as I am most willing to help in anyway I can. to look at me you would not take me for the sort that would care about these guys, I am a Harley guy, tattoos a beard, kinda shaved head with a Mohawk thing going on but with a soft heart especially when it comes to animals ALL animals.

I too am very wary of the local nature centers, I would hate to leave him and they just boot him out the door without any assessment of condition or ability to cope on his own etc.. Maybe I am just paranoid?

My head tells me he should be with Mom if she is indeed still around OR in the care of a pro. I can read and I can follow instructions but I am far from experienced.

I have looked each day for any black squirrel adult that could be mom but I have not seen any in the hoards that come to eat these walnuts. could mom not be black? I did not Google that question yet. again I apologize for my rambling but I just want to do what is right. my heart wants a little buddy to climb up to my shoulder and sit on my head, but my head tells me to do what is right by him which is why I am so glad to have found this group.
    I will try to post some pics this evening so you folks can gauge his age. to me he looks like a regular squirrel only real little. he is fully furred can hold food in his hands, can drink water out of a shallow dish runs around jumps around etc.

Thanks all

11. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to coopersdad:

island rehabber (10-18-2019), Nancy in New York (10-17-2019), RockyPops (10-21-2019)

coopersdad Guest

oh and yes I did look for other babies but did not see any

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to coopersdad from:

RockyPops (10-21-2019)

Default Re: Ohio help needed with young squirrel.

Hi coopersdad,

Welcome! I find those biker tatted Mohawk gruff guys are about as nice as they come! Thanks for taking the little one in. As Hrt said, if mom is around this little guy would have nothing to do with you. And if he is seeking help he still needs to be on formula. A make shift formula until you can order some is goats milk, full fat yogurt, and heavy whipping creme.

I noticed that you said you were bedding him on cedar shavings. Cedar is very noxious to squirrels. We bed on fleece or T-shirt material, putting enough in some sorta scrunched up that he can burrow under. Just like rats they like to hide.

Is your little one a dude or dudette? Oh yea, a grey momma can have a black baby. The blacks are called melanistic grey. A picture would be great!
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

RockyPops (10-21-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post

Is your little one a dude or dudette? !
    By the way, if it’s a dude, you will KNOW without a doubt. If you can’t tell, it’s probably a dudette.

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

RockyPops (10-21-2019)

Hi Coopersdad!

I found myself in a similar situation around this time last year, when a baby squirrel followed me down the sidewalk and climbed on my shoe... which ultimately led me here, to TSB. Despite being an animal lover, I never really gave a second thought to squirrels until that little one entered my life... and now I'm a full blown crazy squirrel lady- so watch out, they have a way of stealing your heart!

My little guy went to a great rehabber, and I like to think he's out there living a full squirrely life right now. What other's have said is true: they will not approach you unless they need help. He (or she) was literally asking you to save his life. You did the right thing by taking him in. The folks here on the forum will help you with the next steps.

19. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mialouise:

HRT4SQRLS (10-18-2019), island rehabber (10-18-2019), Nancy in New York (10-18-2019), RockyPops (10-21-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by coopersdad View Post
    . I hope I did not ruin this creature by taking him inside. I think my heart overruled my head.
    On the contrary, you saved his little life. As others have said, a baby squirrel will only run up to a human when desperate for food and warmth. You are the "Warm Tree". You're tall, and vertical, and warm -- that's why they seek us humans when all else has failed. Had you not taken him in -- with the weather we've been having in the north lately -- I doubt he would have survived more than a day or so.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

RockyPops (10-21-2019)

Don’t worry about the little guy losing his natural instincts. Rehabbers raise baby squirrels from pinky stage or later. The only mother some have ever seen is a human. When it is time for release and the soft release is done properly they often leave the release cage and never look back. There are 3 different types after release. Some will leave and never return. Others will hang around the general area for a few days, weeks or a month and then disappear. The last type is actually rare. These will stay around the area where released and continue to be friendly to their human ‘mom’ for years. I had one like that. She stayed near for 5 years. She would come in the kitchen for treats but lived as a wild squirrel in every way.

I am a firm believer that 99% of healthy squirrels can successfully be released back to nature and their ‘squirrellyness’ coded in their DNA blossoms as if they had been raised by their biological mom.

Thanks for saving the baby. Whether you decide to raise the little one yourself or find a rehabber, you gave this one a second chance at life.

23. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

island rehabber (10-21-2019), Mel1959 (10-18-2019), Nancy in New York (10-18-2019), RockyPops (10-18-2019)

coopersdad Guest

Hello Folks sorry I have been away from the board for a bit. Just want to say thanks for the support and recommendations, I did indeed find a pro rehabber about 45 minutes from me and my wife and I drove the little guy there.

I will tell you that I was a misty eyed mess the entire drive as the thought of not having him climb up my arm and sit on my head when I get home from work anymore was painful.

BUT Suzanne is a very kind and caring person who has devoted her self to the rescue of these animals. she showed us around her home and squirrel "sanctuary" she had many in various stages of care and transition and I know that my furry buddy is in the best hands he could be in.

she did a quick exam upon arrival and stated that we did a good job for the 9 days we had him, he looked good and his teeth were good he was well hydrated etc. I feel good about that but yep I am gonna miss him for sure.

again I thank you all for pointing me towards Suzanne , without this forum I would have made a mistake of either trying to raise him myself or giving him to the wrong people.

thank you all x10000 and God Bless.

25. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to coopersdad:

HRT4SQRLS (10-21-2019), Mialouise (10-22-2019), Nancy in New York (10-21-2019), RockyPops (10-21-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by coopersdad View Post
    Hello Folks sorry I have been away from the board for a bit. Just want to say thanks for the support and recommendations, I did indeed find a pro rehabber about 45 minutes from me and my wife and I drove the little guy there.

I will tell you that I was a misty eyed mess the entire drive as the thought of not having him climb up my arm and sit on my head when I get home from work anymore was painful.

Thanks for helping the little one. We understand, they have a way of wiggling into your heart.

27. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

RockyPops (10-21-2019)

One of the most unselfish things we can do, is to turn our little ones over to someone
    who can raise them "better".
    Something makes me think that you would have done an excellent job, but this way
    he most likely will have little buddies he will play with and learn from.
    Thank you for doing the right thing, and for loving him enough to do so.

29. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

island rehabber (10-21-2019), RockyPops (10-21-2019)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.