Thread: Commercial Rodent block=Henry Heathy Block??

Default Commercial Rodent block=Henry Heathy Block??

Just want to make sure I have this right because I don’t want to overdo nutrients. My babies don’t care for the Kaytee rodent block but love HHB...I’m ok feeding them 2 HHB in place of the rodent block cause they provide the same nutrients right?? There so many things out there like boo balls, rodent, HHB...lol just want to make sure two on one is the same as two of another. If I start making the boo ball recipes then I can use that in place as well, right? They get there veggies and formula just want to make sure they get a block worthy as well.

Default Re: Commercial Rodent block=Henry Heathy Block??

HHB is presently, in my view at least, the best source of rodent block on the market. Thing is, some squirrels don't like HHB, whereas others, like your squirrels, do.

As for a, "Boo Ball" 'type' recipe (not referring her to the original that you can find posted on the board), a number of members grind up HHB or other block diets adding organic virgin coconut oil (found in rat research to support the absorption of calcium into the bones), and other ingredients which may vary from recipe to recipe. Some also include a small amount of oatmeal (not instant), which contains 'Beta Glucan', that soothes the wall of the intestines. This, along with the healthy fiber the oats provide, lends support to the healthly function of the bowel.

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

Nancy in New York (10-26-2019), Sir Rodney (10-17-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Diggie's Friend View Post
    HHB is presently, in my view at least, the best source of rodent block on the market. Thing is, some squirrels don't like HHB, whereas others, like your squirrels, do.

As for a, "Boo Ball" 'type' recipe (not referring her to the original that you can find posted on the board), a number of members grind up HHB or other block diets adding organic virgin coconut oil (found in rat research to support the absorption of calcium into the bones), and other ingredients which may vary from recipe to recipe. Some also include a small amount of oatmeal (not instant), which contains 'Beta Glucan', that soothes the wall of the intestines. This, along with the healthy fiber the oats provide, lends support to the healthly function of the bowel.
    Thank you! I’ll stick with the HHB and put out the kaytee rodent blocks for my yard squirrels to hopefully consume so they don’t go to waste

In another thread crittermom posted how she “doctors” rodent block to make it acceptable to her yard squirrels. She puts the block in a bowl and drizzles some oil on it. Then she adds a big blob of peanut butter and nukes it till the peanut butter melts. Then mix the concoction again and nuke for a short time again. What you’re left with is rodent block that has a peanut butter coating.

Maybe this will encourage your yard squirrels to eat the block so it doesn’t go to waste.

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Diggie's Friend (10-16-2019), Tmstrat (10-16-2019)

Thoughts on envigo teklad? Formerly, Harlan.

This is the block I use, my babies eat it readily. I’ve not had any health issues.

In the past, I tried Henry’s and they wouldn’t touch it even when no other foods were available.

Milo's Mom is offline Permitted Pennsylvania Wildlife Rehabilitator

Quote Originally Posted by Danie View Post
    Thoughts on envigo teklad? Formerly, Harlan.

This is the block I use, my babies eat it readily. I’ve not had any health issues.

In the past, I tried Henry’s and they wouldn’t touch it even when no other foods were available.
    Quick answer...I like, use, and recommend Envigo, but Henry's is my preference, always.

Henry's is hands down the best out there. Depending on which formula you were feeding and which HHB you selected to introduce may have been why they didn't go for the Henry's. Example, when I used to feed Esbilac my squirrels wouldn't touch the High Protein HHB's. None of my squirrels have ever eaten the HP HHB's if they were raised on Esbilac, but once I switched to Adult or Picky or Wild Bites HHB's they ate them without issue, just like always.

Fast forward a couple years...simply due to the volume of squirrels I run through here I now feed the Envigo to the rehabs...I can't afford blasting through 4 or more bags of HHB's every day. HOWEVER, if I come across a rehab that isn't eating enough of the Envigo to make me happy, I do switch that cage/bin/group to Henry's.

Every so often just for something different I give the residents (NR's) some of the Envigo and they gobble them up too. In my opinion, that says A LOT...a squirrel that's been on Henry's for years will eat and appear to enjoy a commercial rat block. It is for that reason I stuck to Envigo and ditched the Mazuri (none of mine ever really liked them anyway).

I use/feed 280+ pounds of Envigo annually, on average.

Top-quality custom cage gear, accessories, blankets, & toys.
    Boutique items are fun, unique, and anything but ordinary.

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Milo's Mom from:

Mel1959 (10-26-2019)

I use Henry's and also Teklad. The way I understand it, Henry's (which I believe is the tastiest of commercially available healthy rodent block), is designed as the cornerstone of a healthy diet that also must be supplemented with assorted fresh veggies. Teklad is designed as a complete diet replacement, it includes every nutrient/vitamin needed (veggies are not needed). Lab animals for example, need to be healthy but are only feed blocks. So in theory, you could just give Teklad blocks and your squirrel will get 100% of what is needed, while with Henry's, you should also include veggies.

I think that some variety in a diet is desirable both for health and overall well being. So, I currently use Teklad and supplement with veggies. I will also use Henry's for picky eaters or to add some variety to a diet. Both Henrys and Tekland are about the best blocks available IMHO.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

RockyPops (10-26-2019)

https://www.envigo.com/products-serv...edient/rodent/

As their product page notes, the nutrients are 'adequate for rats', yet the natural diets of tree squirrels are lower in carbs and complex carbs than that of the natural diet of rats. Also, soy has been found to be a double edged sword when it comes to health, as soy contains a high goitrogenic content, which lowers the uptake of iodine to the parathyroid, which in turn lowers the production of vitamin D3 which lowers the absorption of calcium from the diet.

Henry's was formulated to be closer to the natural diet of tree squirrels, not that of humans. Of other sources available, 2016 has the least negative ingredients of the Envigo line, yet it isn't a better source than Henry's as the latter doesn't have corn, that is a nutrient poor source by comparison to ground grains, which Henry's contains.

Another key issue in feeding any block diet is whether it has been formulated to support the addition of fruits, berries, vegetables, mushrooms, grubworms, that are part of the squirrels wild diet. The only one does, is Henry's, simply for reason of the Ca:P ratio being higher that allows these sources to be included in circumspect measures, so that they don't overtop the ratio for juvenile diets. 2016 Envigo being a closer Ca:P ratio at (1.42:1) can be easily pushed up to 1:1 if where the diet then will no longer be healthy, but will have a greater tendency to promote urinary tract stones to form.

In addition, Henry's diet with greens noted to be 2nd only to that of the block, has often, even so not always, been not been found to be appealing to adult squirrels, as the cruciferous greens tend to be bitter. Feeding the greens in a high proportion in the diet has for some caused the mean urine ph. of the diet to cross into the alkaline range, that promotes the formation of another kind of calcium urinary stone (Calcium phosphate) that over time accumulates in the bladder and adheres to the lining resulting in damage to the bladder. This moreover a concern for the adults, not juveniles to my present understanding, lending adequate support towards rehabbing the squirrels to release. Still, it's best to test the urine ph. to make sure that juvenile diets aren't overly alkalized from feeding more than a small amount of raw leafy greens, stalked vegetables, and root vegetables daily.

To determine the mean urine ph. of the diet, take readings using ph. testing strips at least an hour or more each after meals over one day, and another reading taken the next morning prior to the first meal. From there total the values found and divide by the total by 4 to get the mean urine ph. value. This is one source of litmus testing strips available online and in stores

https://www.amazon.com/Litmus-Strips...ustrial&sr=1-1

One way to prevent alkaline urine is to blanch (short term boil) baby greens for 90 sec, as this reduces the alkaloids that lowers the mean urine ph. of the greens. Mature greens and heavier leafed plants take a bit longer to blanch, yet take care not to over boil them, as they will turn to green glop that contains few nutrients. Boil stalked vegetables like the tops of the Broccoli (florets) boil about 15 minutes, and sliced root vegetables to boil (15 - 20) min.

This little devise makes the drop of blanching leafy greens allot easier.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074L3R29X...ci-a=B074L3R29

As for the squirrels eating the block or not, the issue come down to that diets including ground grains without corn or soy, that aren't always appealing to tree squirrels.

To increase the appeal of, "Henry's:" block, some have added Organic food grade Chia oil.

Foods alive carries a good source (see smaller bottle size on page)

https://foodsalive.com/products/orga...il-foods-alive

recommend crushing, or grinding the block and adding organic Extra Virgin coconut oil and Chia oil to the mixture. For juveniles 4 drops of Chia oil daily, with 2 drops of coconut oil daily to support a healthier omega fatty acid ratio in the diet daily.

Also add Organic (food grade) Pumpkin seed oil.

Both of these oils have health properties to the body.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...seeds#section1
    Last edited by TubeDriver; 10-27-2019 at 04:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Milo's Mom View Post
    Quick answer...I like, use, and recommend Envigo, but Henry's is my preference, always.

Henry's is hands down the best out there. Depending on which formula you were feeding and which HHB you selected to introduce may have been why they didn't go for the Henry's. Example, when I used to feed Esbilac my squirrels wouldn't touch the High Protein HHB's. None of my squirrels have ever eaten the HP HHB's if they were raised on Esbilac, but once I switched to Adult or Picky or Wild Bites HHB's they ate them without issue, just like always.

Fast forward a couple years...simply due to the volume of squirrels I run through here I now feed the Envigo to the rehabs...I can't afford blasting through 4 or more bags of HHB's every day. HOWEVER, if I come across a rehab that isn't eating enough of the Envigo to make me happy, I do switch that cage/bin/group to Henry's.

Every so often just for something different I give the residents (NR's) some of the Envigo and they gobble them up too. In my opinion, that says A LOT...a squirrel that's been on Henry's for years will eat and appear to enjoy a commercial rat block. It is for that reason I stuck to Envigo and ditched the Mazuri (none of mine ever really liked them anyway).

I use/feed 280+ pounds of Envigo annually, on average.
    Thanks for your response. Prior to the Esbilac issues this fall, I’ve used it with all of my babies. So, your explanation makes sense. I have a crap ton of Envigo, and it appears to be more than adequate, considering other foods my babies eat daily.

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it? I guess, I’ll be sticking with it for the foreseeable future.

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Danie from:

Milo's Mom (10-27-2019)