Thread: Antibiotic Dosing help for abscesses in feet

Nonny Guest

Default Antibiotic Dosing help for abscesses in feet

This little fellow was brought to me by a friend who knew I rehabbed a couple of squirrels many years ago. He has abscesses on one of his back toes and on the top of one of his front feet. He’s 137g. I have 500mg cephalexin, but it’s expired. I have a prescription for doxycycline. Could someone help me with dosing recommendations?

Default Re: Antibiotic Dosing help for abscesses in feet

Nonny, thanks for helping this baby!

Keep checking back to this thread. Someone will answer that can help you.

Quote Originally Posted by Nonny View Post
    I have a prescription for doxycycline.
    We would need to know the strength of the doxycycline to dose.
    How expired is the cephalexin? It may have lost some strength, but still be usable.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Javarat from:

RockyPops (10-13-2019)

Do you have close up pics?

Nonny Guest

Ceph expired in 2016. I think doxy is 100 mg, but I’m not 100% sure from the script. Thanks.

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nonny from:

RockyPops (10-13-2019)

Nonny Guest

Name:  36967160-F04B-44FC-9E12-FD137070282B.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  67.3 KB

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nonny from:

RockyPops (10-14-2019)

Nonny Guest

Name:  10BFB98C-A16D-455B-B401-19DF49577A73.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  74.5 KB

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nonny from:

RockyPops (10-14-2019)

Sending PM with dosing for doxycycline.

Baytril might actually be a better antibiotic for this.
    You can get it at a pet store that specializes in birds (or online) without a prescription as 'Enrofloxacin 10%'.
    It is very cheap.. like 3 to 6 dollars for a bottle
    If you can get some let us know.

Even better would be Clavamox, if you can locate any.

13. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Javarat:

RockyPops (10-14-2019)

I am concerned that these "abcesses" may be the beginning of squirrel pox. Pox begins on the feet and genital areas -- check his groin for any other bumps. If it is pox, at this early stage a course of Valtrex/acyclovir (which is prescribed for herpes viruses in people so one of your family or friends may have some) is excellent at stopping the progression of pox. Maybe a few more pix would give us a better handle on this? Sorry to alarm you, but pox is deadly and we want to treat it ASAP.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Nonny Guest

Thank you, Javarat. I will see what I can get today.

Island Rehabber, I appreciate your caution. I was concerned about pox, but as I read about pox, observed and treated his wounds, I've grown more certain that it's not pox. I'd be happy to describe, though, because you all know more about pox than I do. I received him on Tuesday, October 1st. The woman who had picked him up on Sunday had apparently been giving him pedialyte, and she'd offered him food that he didn't eat. He was left outside my office building, and my co-workers found him with ants on him and cleaned him up before I got to work. When I got him, he was having seizures, and he appeared to have a torn lens and his eye was clouding. Tuesday, I got a can of Esbilac (Made in USA, and he's had no digestive issues) and started feeding him. I wasn't sure if the seizures were from head trauma or fluid/nutrient issues. I think it was Wednesday, I crushed a small amount of tums, mixed with water and gave it to him. I'm not sure if the calcium helped or if it was getting his diet under control or just rest, but he stopped having seizures. It was Sunday, the 13th that I noticed the swollen back toe, but when I look at a picture from Saturday, I can see that it was a bit swollen. Monday, I noticed the swelling on his hand. He has no other spots. They don't look like the photos I've seen of pox. I've opened them, and what I'm relatively certain is pus comes out. Would the time elapsed with no other spots appearing and the presence of pus support my conclusion that it's not pox? My best guess is that they were fire ant bites. He has a good appetite, he's grown stronger and more active, his coordination issues have disappeared, and his eye clouding has gone away. His pee and poop are normal and adequate. I can't believe how tolerant he is of my attempts to treat his wounds (opening them, soaking in epsom bath, expressing pus, peroxide). He complains, but he never bites.

Nonny, that was a helpful description of the problem. I think you are right, it probably isn’t pox.
    To be honest with you I would continue the doxycycline and NOT switch to Baytril. Doxycycline is a broad spectrum antibiotic so it is a good antibiotic. It might be slower but it works well. I really don’t like Baytril for any type of wound. It is much too narrow in its spectrum. Clavamox is great but I think the doxycycline is a good choice for this situation.

As far as wound care, I wouldn’t use peroxide. A better choice would be a diluted Betadyne (provodine-iodine) solution.

17. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Nancy in New York (10-14-2019), stepnstone (10-14-2019)

Nonny Guest

Thank you for the helpful feedback, HRT4SQRLS. I know peroxide is often not the best treatment because it destroys the body's cells as well as bacteria, but that's actually why I decided to use it. I was hoping that it would weaken/slow the closing of the wounds, allowing them to drain. When you all have treated abscesses with antibiotic, have you also kept the wounds open for draining, or did the antibiotics work without opening the wounds?

Quote Originally Posted by Nonny View Post
    Thank you for the helpful feedback, HRT4SQRLS. I know peroxide is often not the best treatment because it destroys the body's cells as well as bacteria, but that's actually why I decided to use it. I was hoping that it would weaken/slow the closing of the wounds, allowing them to drain. When you all have treated abscesses with antibiotic, have you also kept the wounds open for draining, or did the antibiotics work without opening the wounds?
    It’s always better for the wound to stay open. If a draining wound closes it can form an abscess. A toe is pretty small so I think the antibiotic should control infection so that healing can begin.

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

Nonny Guest

Thank you all for your help. Should I anticipate any digestive issues from the antibiotics? Should I give him yogurt, probiotics, or any other countermeasure?

22. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nonny from:

RockyPops (10-14-2019)

You can give yogurt or probiotics but they usually tolerate antibiotics well.

24. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

RockyPops (10-14-2019)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.