Thread: Anyone seen this before?

Default Anyone seen this before?

Got this little guy form the vet yesterday. He has a hurt right leg, it is swollen, he is not using it much. But he is using it. The joint seems "sloppy" loose to me. I asked the clinic to send the images we took yesterday, just called and reminded them. Vets agreed there was not a break, but the joint did not look right.

I am not able to find any puncture wounds, but started him on clavamox. The outside concern is there may be some sort of bone infection in that leg.

The back story is some folks brought him into the office yesterday saying he fell form the tree. They tried to place him back into try but he would not climb up, but instead climbed down and to them... then onto them. They say they brought him right in but his bottom was crusty and I cleaned it up and he pooped some loose-not-mama-poop something or another. Was not the yellow I have seen with KMR. Definitely not golden good poop. More like a sick brown color (sorry, color and photography are not strong points for me). Of course, now I wish I had taken a pic... that would have given the vet staff a good laugh!

I hate asking leading questions... I cannot seem to capture a photo that shows well what I am seeing, but what are you seeing?

Name:  20190330_LB1.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  85.5 KB

Name:  20190330_LB2.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  96.6 KB

Name:  20190330_LB3.jpg
Size:  63.8 KB

Default Re: Anyone seen this before?

WOW, not sure what I'm seeing here.
    His right hip area is definitely larger than the left.
    Not sure if it's the way your holding him, but it looks
    like the hips are not aligned, or that his left side is underdeveloped,
    OR is the because of the infection in his right hip making that appear larger?
    Actually the second picture has the white border going straight across
    his top right hip, while the left one is clearly below the white line.
    Sorry I can't be of more help.
    Do you have him on Clindamycin as well in case of a bone infection?

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Got this little guy form the vet yesterday. He has a hurt right leg, it is swollen, he is not using it much. But he is using it. The joint seems "sloppy" loose to me. I asked the clinic to send the images we took yesterday, just called and reminded them. Vets agreed there was not a break, but the joint did not look right.

I am not able to find any puncture wounds, but started him on clavamox. The outside concern is there may be some sort of bone infection in that leg.

The back story is some folks brought him into the office yesterday saying he fell form the tree. They tried to place him back into try but he would not climb up, but instead climbed down and to them... then onto them. They say they brought him right in but his bottom was crusty and I cleaned it up and he pooped some loose-not-mama-poop something or another. Was not the yellow I have seen with KMR. Definitely not golden good poop. More like a sick brown color (sorry, color and photography are not strong points for me). Of course, now I wish I had taken a pic... that would have given the vet staff a good laugh!

I hate asking leading questions... I cannot seem to capture a photo that shows well what I am seeing, but what are you seeing?

Name:  20190330_LB1.jpg
Size:  85.5 KB

Name:  20190330_LB2.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  96.6 KB

Name:  20190330_LB3.jpg
Size:  63.8 KB

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

Spanky (03-30-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    Do you have him on Clinamycin as well in case of a bone infection?
    Yes.. just about any antibiotic. If I ain't got it and need it, I'll get it!

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Nancy in New York (03-30-2019)

I am sure it is the picture; I cannot get a good one that shows what I am seeing... so I will explain.

He is swollen around his anus, about the size of a medium sized grape? He has not pooped other than in the clinic yesterday, so I am wondering if he has some sort of fecal compaction low in his colon? Or maybe this is an abscess... conceivable the leg swelling and this could both be from a bite.

I am considering dosing with Capstar... not sure why its nagging at me, but I have regretted not following my (irrational at time) instincts in the past.. .

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Diggie's Friend (03-30-2019)

You really can’t see that in the pic. Actually that has happened before .... fecal impaction around the anus.
    I think massaging the area with a lubricant like Vaseline helped to work it out.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

Spanky (03-30-2019)

There is no missing it anymore... even with my poor photog skills!

Name:  20190401_LB4.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  102.1 KB

Little dude was pooping too little and eating too little Sunday. I tried warm compresses and soaks Saturday and Sunday to get this "abscess" to come to a head and burst, but it did not. So off to the clinic this morning... I was not going to mess with it alone given the location. Well, after lancing (you can see the laceration in the lower left of the picture) it only bleed... no pus or infection drain. I felt terrible for putting him through that and am of course very worried about the possibilities if this is not an abscess / infection. The vet's recommended a dose of Dex and it is looking much better than did this morning (as horrible as it looks now). He was already on Clav.

His appetite is back. He is pooping (with assistance / encouragement) much better... so those are all positive things. One of the vets really has taken to this little guy, she is enamored and personally involved with this little guy.

But he is a happy, cute little fellow... I kinda like him too!!

Name:  20190401_LB5.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  79.0 KB

While I was at the clinic a tiny 7 week old cat-caught boy was bought in (they were expecting him and asked me to wait for him) with a puncture wound in his chest... he is here with me now. He was the most scared, missing momma itsy-bitsy squirrel I have seen in a long time... it took a few hours, but he has decided this is a safe place...

11. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Diggie's Friend (04-17-2019), Nancy in New York (04-02-2019)

Here are some pics of the little cat-caught boy... too cute! I hope to get him together with a trio (along with the little guy above) before too much time passes..
    Name:  KatKaut01.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  74.0 KB

Name:  KatKaut02.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  122.7 KB

13. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Binkers mom (08-11-2019), Nancy in New York (04-02-2019), stepnstone (04-02-2019)

Yikes Spanky, I can definitely see it now. if you think this is an infection you might want to add Metronidazole and to be honest with you Baytril would be better than Clavamox for an infection in this area. The colon is FULL of anaerobes and Gram Negative Rods. Metronidazole targets anaerobes. Baytril has mostly Gram Negative coverage. Some Gram Negative rods have intrinsic resistance to Clavamox.

15. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Spanky (04-02-2019), stepnstone (04-02-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    If you think this is an infection you might want to add Metronidazole and to be honest with you Baytril would be better than Clavamox for an infection in this area.

I have added Metro... is the recommendation to replace the Clav with Baytril and give stacked metro / baytril?

Spanky, I would give the ‘added’ Metronidazole with the Clavamox a few days before you change everything. If you don’t see significant improvement in 3 days I would discontinue the Clavamox and add Baytril with the Metro. This combo should cover a lot of the GI flora that would likely be involved in an abscess in this area.

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

Spanky (04-02-2019)

I tried to Google this (but admit I did not take much time): Does Metro cause stinking poop? I have never used it before but after I started the Metro, his poop stinks quite a bit. I have to assist in pottying him 4 - 5X a day since he cannot seem to evacuate, seems too much pressure from the swelling.

I would feel much better if this damn thing would start shrinking and I am praying it will start responding to the antibiotics.

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

redwuff (04-04-2019)

I was talking to Duckman earlier today and brought up this boy to see if he had any insight... right away he knew the issue and was familiar with this problem.

I need to back up and update... so Sunday AM his "abscess" burst laterally below his anus. It was filled with fecal matter. I was able to talk with a vet from my clinic Sunday and got advice; I was at the clinic first thing this AM. But he was still producing some pellets via his anus.

Duckman advised this he has seen this before. It is a colon deformation and that a pocket forms that is between the tissue and muscle, below the anus and collects fecal matter. The procedure to correct is a simple one I am told... if I understand, sew the tissue to the muscle, enclosing the colon and it will heal... otherwise he faces a terrible death.

If no other options Duckman believes Dr E would be familiar with this condition and easily be able to treat if we can get him to her.....

22. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Diggie's Friend (04-17-2019), Nancy in New York (04-08-2019)

I need to post an update on "BoBo", he is still under my care (happy and a wonderful boy) but at a crossroads.... posting to guilt me into updating with pictures and getting feedback from the board. I will say IMO the metro was a literal lifesaver for this boy.

He is a healthy and happy boy.. he brings a smile to my face and a lift to my heart every morning watching this singleton and the way he goofs and plays while I am preparing the veggie buffets.

24. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Diggie's Friend (08-13-2019), RockyPops (08-06-2019)

Warning: This first pic is pretty graphic.

The first pic is Bobo at the what I consider the worse of his ordeal. This was after the "abcess" opened up and fecal matter would pass. I would have to clean out the "pocket" and pack it with furacin ointment about 3 - 4 times daily. He also was on metronidazole for quite a while. After some time Bobo became combative about my messing with his butt so I took a wait and see approach. While I was extremely motivated to get Bobo to Dr E for surgery, my local vet convinced me to hold off and see if he would heal on his own. As long as we could keep infection at bay, he reasoned, then it would benefit Bobo since he may be able to grown up some and be stronger if surgery was needed. I was extremely diligent about keeping Bobo's cage clean and doing what he'd allow when it came to dressing that wound.... and with time it closed up. He was fortunate that this "pocket" was below his anus and separated from his abdominal cavity, so there was no intrusion of the abdominal cavity by fecal matter.

I have been trying to get good pictures of his current situation... he seems to have some missing fur in his butt area, but no sign of any infection. If I cannot get better pictures, I will have to stress him out with a trip to the vet.

Whadaaya'llthink? How is my big boy Bobo's butt looking? I am so hoping to release him this fall.

April 2019
    Name:  20190410_BoBo_IF.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  112.7 KB

October 2019
    Name:  20191012_BoBo_IF.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  149.3 KB

26. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Milo's Mom (10-12-2019), Nancy in New York (10-12-2019), TubeDriver (10-12-2019)

That was one nasty looking abscess! Great job figuring out what was going on and getting him healthy!
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead