Thread: 6 weekish baby squirrel clicking!!

LP560 Guest

Default 6 weekish baby squirrel clicking!!

I just noticed the squirrel making a clicking noise a google search brought me to this forum telling me its pneumonia

Is there any other antibiotics i can use on the little thing? I'm so worried about :/ worse part is im on the east coast EST timezone so all petstores are closed right now so i cant go get any Baytril (from what i been reading)

What can i do to help it. This would be the second day of me having the squirrel i dont think it was making the noise before i fed it yesterday... this is my fault

Default Re: 6 weekish baby squirrel clicking!!

Can you locate any leftover antibiotics from your medicine cabinet or from any friends? You will only need one pill.

LP560 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Can you locate any leftover antibiotics from your medicine cabinet or from any friends? You will only need one pill.
    A family member of mine has some left over, i'll have to ask what type they are if that matters

Let us know what ab you can find and the milligrams of the pill, we can tell
    you if it can be used and how to break down and dose.
    We will also need a weight on the baby as meds are dosed by body weight.
    If this is AP you need to act fast as it can take them down and out fast.

You will not find Baytril in a pet store, it is a prescription medication for animals.
    Cipro is equivalent to Baytril and is a human Rx medication used by many woman.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

LP560 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    Let us know what ab you can find and the milligrams of the pill, we can tell
    you if it can be used and how to break down and dose.
    We will also need a weight on the baby as meds are dosed by body weight.
    If this is AP you need to act fast as it can take them down and out fast.

You will not find Baytril in a pet store, it is a prescription medication for animals.
    Cipro is equivalent to Baytril and is a human Rx medication used by many woman.
    nvm i seen it available at petco but it requires a prescription :/
    i'll weigh it first thing in the morning.
    I noticed the sound at around 9pm EST it ate earlier today but refused to eat a nut.

6 week old baby squirrels do not have the teeth to eat a nut. Your baby needs to be on formula.

Any luck finding any meds. Let’s take care of that, then it would be advantageous to talk general squirrel care.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

stepnstone (10-11-2019)

LP560 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    6 week old baby squirrels do not have the teeth to eat a nut. Your baby needs to be on formula.

Any luck finding any meds. Let’s take care of that, then it would be advantageous to talk general squirrel care.
    update!! the baby is doing fine now i was able to give it some meds and it got better in about two days

infact is super active :/ like very active. It doesnt want formula anymore so i'm thinking i got its age wrong. As of now its trying to get out of its cage and its nibbling on things including me.

I'll get some pictures once it calms down some today i'll also weigh it again because i think my scale was off i got 31g for its weight which seems very light

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to LP560 from:

RockyPops (10-13-2019)

Yes, that weigh seems wrong. 31g would be a hairless, gray baby just above pinkie stage.

What formula did you feed? There are major problems with Esbilac formula this year so I hope you didn't use that. We would love to see a pic of your baby.

11. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Mel1959 (10-13-2019), RockyPops (10-13-2019)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.