Thread: AP PLEASE HELP

Default AP PLEASE HELP

Hi just wondering if Azithromycin works for AP? 4 wk old grey

Default Re: AP PLEASE HELP

What else do you have? Ask around for Cipro. It is often prescribed for a woman’s UTI.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    What else do you have? Ask around for Cipro. It is often prescribed for a woman’s UTI.
    I have asked everyone and nothing else, only one response still pending

What symptoms are you seeing from your 4 week old?
    redwuff
    State Licensed

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

Flavy (10-09-2019)

What symptoms are you seeing from your 4 week old?
    So she sucked too hard on the syringe at the last feed (I'm having a hard time stopping her from doing that) and sure enough aspirated; it came out her nose and she kept sneezing. This happened at the last feeding about an hour and a half ago. After, she went to sleep and her breathing was more laborious; I also definitely heard clicking when putting her to my ear over the next hour.

However, I just checked her again now and it seems to have gone. She is not lethargic. Is it possible to have the clicking temporarily and not have Pneumonia develop? Maybe just fluid in the lungs that cleared?

I very frequently hear clicking (from the nose) for a while if they sneeze milk out their nose, which fades after a while.
    Check her nose carefully to see if you see bubbles. They may be the 'clicking' noise.
    I'm not saying she did not get some in her lungs... best to monitor her.
    Clicking before a feeding is most likely pneumonia.

If you are feeding her at the correct angle (with the syringe pointing upwards) she can most often clamp her throat down to expel the milk through the nose., and get nothing in the lungs.
    Watch for a hacking cough motion.. where she tries to clear her lungs.
    I have one that sneezes milk several times at every single feeding because he sucks too hard. Sometimes he will click for a while afterwards. He panics each time as he had pneumonia once, and a blocked nose freaks him out.

To answer your original question.. Azithromycin can be used for pneumonia, but it is very hit or miss depending on what bacteria has caused it.
    It is best used in conjunction with amoxicillin or amoxicillin/clavulanate, or doxycycline.

Suggestion.. hold the syringe like a pencil in your hand, and clamp your thumb and pointer finger on the shaft as a brake to keep her from pulling too fast.

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Javarat from:

Flavy (10-09-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Javarat View Post
    I very frequently hear clicking for a while if they sneeze milk out their nose, which fades after a while.

If you are feeding her at the correct angle (with the syringe pointing upwards) she can most often clamp her throat down to expel the milk through the nose.
    I have one that does this several times at every single feeding because he sucks too hard. Sometimes he will click for a while afterwards.

To answer your original question.. Azithromycin can be used for pneumonia, but it is very hit or miss depending on what bacteria has caused it.
    It is best used in conjunction with amoxicillin or amoxicillin/clavulanate, or doxycycline.
    Ok hopefully it clears, these lil squirrelies will sure get you worried!!! Thank you, I will update if she goes downhill.

Unhappy Re: AP PLEASE HELP

I very frequently hear clicking for a while if they sneeze milk out their nose, which fades after a while.

If you are feeding her at the correct angle (with the syringe pointing upwards) she can most often clamp her throat down to expel the milk through the nose., and get nothing in the lungs.
    Watch for a hacking cough motion.. where she tries to clear her lungs.
    I have one that sneezes milk several times at every single feeding because he sucks too hard. Sometimes he will click for a while afterwards. He panics each time as he had pneumonia once, and a blocked nose freaks him out.

Suggestion.. hold the syringe like a pencil in your hand, and clamp your thumb and pointer finger on the shaft as a brake to keep her from pulling too fast.
    Regarding your feeding suggestions, I do hold the syringe angled up and do hold the shaft in such a way that I can put a stop to it... but she is the one out of my two that is a very strong and enthusiastic sucker

You might want to step her down to a smaller syringe (if you are using larger than a 1ml), where you can control the flow better.
    I have one who is on a 3ml while her siblings are all on 5ml, as she chokes every time I step her up to the 5ml.

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Javarat:

Flavy (10-10-2019), RockyPops (10-09-2019)

You might want to step her down to a smaller syringe (if you are using larger than a 1ml), where you can control the flow better.
    I have one who is on a 3ml while her siblings are all on 5ml, as she chokes every time I step her up to the 5ml.
    I was thinking about that too but she is 125g now, and eats about 8 ml... so that would be 8 of 1 cc syringes

I just fed again and with painstaking attention to pace, managed with no choking, yay!

14. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Flavy:

Nancy in New York (10-10-2019), redwuff (10-09-2019)

Can you take a picture of the syringes and nipples you use?
    redwuff
    State Licensed

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

Flavy (10-10-2019)

Can you take a picture of the syringes and nipples you use?
    I will pic when I get home, but it is a Regular size Miracle nipple from Henrys website and just regular human 3ml syringes

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Flavy from:

redwuff (10-10-2019)

I have 4 eleven week olds and they all consistently snorted milk out their nose...regardless of how much I limited their sucking. In fact limiting it too strongly almost seemed to make it worse because they then sucked really hard and sucked it into their noses.

I have never used anything bigger than a 3ml syringe for feeding. I will try a 3ml syringe but if the snorting is too problematic then I go back to the 1ml syringe, regardless of how many times I need to fill it. The volume they get with each suck is significantly greater with a larger syringe. Some guys just can’t handle that as quickly as others.

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Flavy (10-10-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Flavy View Post
    I will pic when I get home, but it is a Regular size Miracle nipple from Henrys website and just regular human 3ml syringes
    Where in Canada are you located? Maybe we could help.
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

Quote Originally Posted by Scooterzmom View Post
    Where in Canada are you located? Maybe we could help.
    Greater Toronto Area Actually I've managed to have no snorting since starting this thread! They are doing very well, we are excited today because the bigger one opened her eyes today!! They are soooo sweet!

23. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Flavy from:

Scooterzmom (10-10-2019)

Here is our baby Lily who opened her eyes today!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

25. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Flavy from:

Mel1959 (10-11-2019)

She looks gorgeous.

How often are you feeding them?

She looks gorgeous.

How often are you feeding them?
    Every 4 hrs! Not overnight