Thread: What shoud a young adult squrriel be eating daily?

Default What shoud a young adult squrriel be eating daily?

My little Lele is a grey squirrel around 11 weeks old. We are starting the weaning process. I know that she should not be eating more than one to two nuts and bits of fruit a day. I also have gotten her monkey biscuits (which she loves). Once she is completely done with her formula what should I be feeding her daily? She's already really good about drinking water, eating monkey biscuits, nuts and fruit but she is not really liking vegetable. She will take a few bites of carrots but she spits it out. She won't even take lettuce, broccoli, or any other vegetables. How do I get her to eat veggies and how many monkey biscuits should she be eating in a day? Should I give her the biscuits at certain times every day but leave a bowl of outdoor squirrel feed out so she can munch when she wants and give her fruit and nuts as a treat after dinner? I'm lost please help..

Also, I can only buy foods that can be purchased at brick and mortar stores. As or right now I have no way to buy things online...

Thank you in advance for any help that is provided.

🖤🖤🖤

Default Re: What shoud a young adult squrriel be eating daily?

Your 11 week old squirrel should be eating primarily rodent block (monkey biscuits) and vegetables. Treats like fruit and nuts are given only occasionally...not daily. I have 4 11 week olds and they have yet to taste a nut. I give them one type of fruit about every other day, sometimes they eat it sometimes they don’t. Are you still feeding formula? If so, what type?

I will share my routine: in the morning my guys get as much formula as they want. It ranges from 21-33cc. I have one very large guy that has always eaten more than the others! Mid morning I give them each a Henrys block or boo ball and a large bowl of mixed greens like kale, endive, radicchio, romaine, bok Choy, cabbage, etc. I don’t give all of them but usually a variety of two or three. Late afternoon they get a large bowl of other veggies like broccoli, cauliflower, squash, sweet potato, chayote squash, zucchini, carrot, celery, mushrooms, fresh coconut, sugar snap peas and avocado (no skin or pit) and occasionally fresh corn, which I sprinkle calcium powder on. This is when I will also offer a fruit if I’m giving one like a piece of apple, blueberries, orange, strawberry, watermelon, cantaloupe, etc. as well as another Henrys block or boo ball. They have Harlan Teklad block in their cage at all times that they can eat. I also provide a bowl of vanilla yogurt for them sometime during the day. This food stays in the cage all night and anything not eaten is cleaned out in the morning when I change the bedding.

I think your guys know that you will provide nuts and fruits which are yummier, if they just hold out and wait. You can give as many monkey biscuits as they want. Try holding back on any fruit or nuts and only providing greens and other veggies for several days and see if they will eat more of them.

I’m not sure what you mean by “squirrel feed”? If it’s bagged dried corn and seeds, it shouldn’t be given at all. There’s nothing in there that’s good for a growing squirrel and lots that can be harmful. Too many nuts, seeds and corn deplete the body of calcium because they are high in phosphorous. Squirrels bodies want to maintain a certain balance of calcium and phosphorus. If they get lots of foods high in phosphorous then their bodies pull the calcium from their bones to maintain the desired balance. When this happens they have Metabolic Bone Disease which weakens their bones and will ultimately cause death if left untreated.

Also, we don’t wean them, we let them decide when they no longer want formula. If they won’t take it from a syringe you can put it in a bowl.

I hope this info helps. Adjusting their diet will require tough love on your part. They won’t starve themselves.

Edit: I just saw where you’re located. I’m across the bridge in Indian Harbour Beach. If there’s anything else I can help you with, don’t hesitate to reach out to me. ��

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Nancy in New York (10-09-2019)