Thread: sedative adivce for wild adult squirrel

Default sedative adivce for wild adult squirrel

Hello, is there anything I can give to a wild adult squirrel to sedate her enough to get a look at what I fear is a broken leg? I'd like something that'll really make her temporarily super sleepy/loopy She is wild as the west, but I have to try and help her. Anything over the counter? Maybe something used for dog anxiety...?

Will the bone mend on its own - though not perfectly straight - if I can just keep her relatively stable for 6 weeks or so? Thank you!

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to tgramsey from:

RockyPops (10-09-2019)

Default Re: sedative adivce for wild adult squirrel

Do you have an idea of where the break is? I am not sure what sedative to give a wild. Did you get her in the caging that you wanted to. She needs pain meds and an anti-inflammatory med. you should give her capstar also to kill fleas.

Share with us your observations. That is a huge part of an assessment. I will often use gabepentin to sedate with a baby, but that is not enough for an adult wild. What you are talking about concerning sedation of an adult wild really needs professional help. If she can handle confinement, will eat and drink, keeping her inside can keep her quiet and protected as she heals.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

Hi there,
    I did get her inside today. I took down the nesting box and put the whole thing in a cage. I need help to try and get medicine in her. She is not going to be a good patient, I'm sure. I'll have help tomorrow, I hope. I put medicam on a pecan and put it in the hole along with blocks and water. She is extremely exhausted. I can't tell that she is eating anything. I didn't open the box - just want her to rest.

The break is on her back left leg.

I'm guessing she is a good 2-2.5 pounds. Big girl.

I've never given gabepentin. Is that prescription? I did buy some children's benadryl syrup tonight. I read that might work. I doubt it will do much, but got it just in case. Any thoughts? If worthwhile, can I give this along with meticam - same time?

Thank you for responding.

From what I have looked up online yes they can be given together. Tramadol would also be a good pain med. I will give you a dose foe the benedryl tomorrow.

Has she used her leg at all. This being a hind leg is better than a break in the front.

You are amazing. Thanks for helping this girl.
    redwuff
    State Licensed

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

tgramsey (10-11-2019)

She was dragging the leg originally and didn't seem to be putting any pressure on it at all. She has been sleeping in the box since yesterday. I'm about to try and get her out for med. Wish me luck - this isn't going to be easy! I'll give her some of the benedryl at the same time if she will let me. For 2-2.5 lbs., how much do you think?

So sorry, just saw your thread. How did it go?
    redwuff
    State Licensed

Went fine and she is getting surgery to set the leg w/a pin on Monday.

10. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to tgramsey:

Nancy in New York (10-12-2019), redwuff (10-12-2019), RockyPops (10-12-2019)

What a trooper you are. Wow! Is she eating and drinking?
    redwuff
    State Licensed

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

RockyPops (10-12-2019)

Right now she is not eating or drinking that I can tell. I have plenty of food and water in the box, but she is just curled up sleeping. I'll see what the vet says about it on Monday. Will do all I can for her.

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to tgramsey from:

RockyPops (10-12-2019)