Thread: URGENT- PLEASE HELP!!!

Exclamation URGENT- PLEASE HELP!!!

Hi everyone,
    I have two baby squirrels. Both maybe a week or two old. They are just starting to get the tiniest amount of fur, eyes closed, and eating every 2-4 hours. But I have a problem. Due to a heating element in the heating pad- it caused one of the babies to overheat. We resuscitated him, got him warm, and back to healthy. It did however turn his extremities black. The very end of his tail, the tips of his ears, and three of his paws. And just when I think hes doing better for the most part- he somehow climbed out of his box and fell onto the carpet. I know what your thinking- this lady doesn't deserve to raise squirrels! But I swear I am doing everything for these little guys. And trust me there isn't anything you can say to make me feel worse than I already do. After the fall, his little head got bruising on it. That was Sunday Morning. It's now Tuesday Morning and he isn't eating much, moving much, and he isn't gaining any weight. I'm so scared he won't make it. Please, Please give me some advice on how I can save my little guy!!!

Default Re: URGENT- PLEASE HELP!!!

It sounds like there’s a whole lot of issues this guy will have to overcome to survive. Do you have access to a vet? There are many vets throughout Florida that will see squirrels. I looked up where Callahan is located. One of the best squirrel vets in the country is located directly south on I95 in Port Orange, Fl. Her name is Dr. Alicia EMERSON and she won’t steer you wrong on how to best help your little guy. Please give her clinic a call Ravenwood Vet Clinic 386-788-1550.

3. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Diggie's Friend (10-14-2019), Nancy in New York (10-08-2019), redwuff (10-08-2019)

Thank you, I'll give them a call now!

5. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cass_ran:

Mel1959 (10-08-2019), Nancy in New York (10-08-2019), redwuff (10-08-2019)

I agree with Mel. These issues for this little one needs emergency vet care. But please stay on and let us help with what ever we can.

No judgement, most of us here have made mistakes, and most likely will make more, but we stay here and keep learning.

Is this your first squirrel experience? You got some young ones in that are way more challenging. What are you
    Feeding?

I wonder what kind of a container they are housed in?
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

Mel1959 (10-08-2019)

Yes this is my first experience, and my other little guy is doing great. Its breaking my heart to see his brother not doing well.

I am feeding warmed Esbilac. I know there have been problems with the newer formulas and I've read all the forums about it. My local store was lucky enough to have older cans that only say made in the US, and they've been doing well with it. Even my sick little one feeds well with it and is constantly suckling for food. He is urinating normal and his stool is normal. He is housed in a clear container with holes, and he has a heating pad outside of the box it half sits on

Sounds like you done a lot of research. Were you able to get an appt w Dr Emerson? She is so good that I drove from 5 states away to have my squirrel seen by her!
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

Mel1959 (10-08-2019)

So I called but she is in surgery all day. They actually just called back and said she wouldn't be able to help and referred me to another guy whos closer. So I just left a message with him hoping to hear back. I also called a local rescue center and discussed what to do next. They really think he needs some sort of steroid. So I did find a local vet who treats squirrels and I'm going there at 3. I'll keep you guys posted!!

cant thank you guys enough for the help & support!

12. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cass_ran:

Mel1959 (10-09-2019), Nancy in New York (10-08-2019), redwuff (10-08-2019)

What’s the status of your little guy? I’ve been thinking about you guys.

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

redwuff (10-09-2019)

Not returning to the thread is NEVER a good sign.

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

redwuff (10-14-2019)