Thread: When is baby fuzz lost?

Default When is baby fuzz lost?

On September 13th I found an orphaned squirrel, his eyes were open when I found him so I estimated him to be about 4 weeks old. He still has short, all light gray, fuzzy hair all over his body, instead of the gray with brown flecks adult squirrels have (don't know how else to describe it). His tail started to look more like an adult about a week and a half ago (multi color fur and getting bushier) so I'm just wondering if this is normal? In other pictures I see it seems like maybe his fur should be different by now. Also if it helps he's about 198g

Sorry for not great picture, he is NOT photogenic haha
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: When is baby fuzz lost?

I've just found information on kitten fur syndrome. Or at least I learned that it exists so I'm thinking maybe that's what my squirrel has. But I couldn't find much on whether or not this is something that can be fixed

Quote Originally Posted by Guardgirl2367 View Post
    On September 13th I found an orphaned squirrel, his eyes were open when I found him so I estimated him to be about 4 weeks old. He still has short, all light gray, fuzzy hair all over his body, instead of the gray with brown flecks adult squirrels have (don't know how else to describe it). His tail started to look more like an adult about a week and a half ago (multi color fur and getting bushier) so I'm just wondering if this is normal? In other pictures I see it seems like maybe his fur should be different by now. Also if it helps he's about 198g
    Sorry for not great picture, he is NOT photogenic haha
    A baby squirrels eyes open normally at 5 weeks old, even with not knowing when they first opened
    your baby is at least 9-10 weeks and underweight at 198 grams.
    The lack of fur is not normal which brings me to ask about his diet as many causes are nutritional issues.
    What formula is / or was he on?
    What is his diet and all that you have been feeding on a daily basics?

In the picture, his front paw/toes do not look normal?? Is that just the way he was holding them?
    Can he or does he extend his toes out like an open hand?
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

First off, his paw is just wonky in the picture, I think he nails got caught in my shirt. It usually lays flat with the toes facing front and spread out. Didn't even realize he looked like that in the pic or I would have picked another

For the first week and a half, he was on esbilac formula, but I then switched over to the fox valley formula meant for squirrels 4 weeks and up after learning about the issues with the first formula. He has always eaten 5-6% of his body weight and has consistently gained several grams a day. He gets weighed a few times a day.

He has access to rat blocks which he does eat, but I would say more like a snack. He still eats formula 3-4 times a day, which again is 5-6% of his weight.

First off, his paw is just wonky in the picture, I think he nails got caught in my shirt. It usually lays flat with the toes facing front and spread out. Didn't even realize he looked like that in the pic or I would have picked another

For the first week and a half, he was on esbilac formula, but I then switched over to the fox valley formula meant for squirrels 4 weeks and up after learning about the issues with the first formula. He has always eaten 5-6% of his body weight and has consistently gained several grams a day. He gets weighed a few times a day.

He has access to rat blocks which he does eat, but I would say more like a snack. He still eats formula 3-4 times a day, which again is 5-6% of his weight.
    The formula feeding seems to be appropriate. What type of rodent block does he get and what other solids is he eating?

If this is not diet, and not a genetic issue, I wonder about environment... I don't know and have not seen this before.. but I do wonder if maybe he might be having an allergic type reaction to something like laundry detergent used on his linens?

The solid food is Kaytee forti-diet prohealth and I haven't given him other solids yet. He only just recently became interested in the blocks and I wanted to make sure he was actually eating them before I switched to tastier foods. I did offer him sweet potato and a piece of collard green leaf 3 days ago but he didn't eat either.

His current bedding is brand new fleece that I soaked in water when I got it, but didn't use detergent because I didn't want to worry about chemicals. Then I let it air dry. Previously his bedding was an old fleece blanket of mine that had been washed. His fur has remained the same throughout both though.

The solid food is Kaytee forti-diet prohealth and I haven't given him other solids yet. He only just recently became interested in the blocks and I wanted to make sure he was actually eating them before I switched to tastier foods. I did offer him sweet potato and a piece of collard green leaf 3 days ago but he didn't eat either.

His current bedding is brand new fleece that I soaked in water when I got it, but didn't use detergent because I didn't want to worry about chemicals. Then I let it air dry. Previously his bedding was an old fleece blanket of mine that had been washed. His fur has remained the same throughout both though.

I think the Kaytee is always a challenge getting them to eat it... you may want to consider Mazuri or Envigo (Formerly Harlan) Teklad Global 2018. Those seem to be better received by squirrels...

Really weird about his fur... hopefully someone will read this thread that has experienced this issue previously.