Thread: Possible broke arm (wrist)

Default Possible broke arm (wrist)

I had a wild fall from one limb to another Sunday. When she landed she just lay there for a while...out near the end of a branch. She finally made her way to the tree trunk and rested. I walked over to check on her and she went up a few feet and stopped. She sat on a limb on her haunches with her left hand on the limb and favoring her right hand. Her hand appeared to be dangling.

I tried to get closer and she went up to the tree top and out of sight. It looked like she was using the bad hand but it was hard to tell.

I haven't seen an injured squirrel since so it may be a false alarm. Or shes hiding.

Will a compound break heal on it's own?

If not, would a wild squirrel tolerate being caught and splinted?

An adult wild wouldn't seek human help like a baby would it?

I don't know if the fall hurt her arm or a prior injury caused her to fall.

Default Re: Possible broke arm (wrist)

It would be really tough on the wild being contained. It is very tough to handle an adult. If she were a regular, I might try giving infant ibuprofen on a nut to help with pain and inflammation. It is amazing to see how animals heal. Wish the best with the wild. If you can, the best way to support her is to provide food and water.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

RockyPops (10-08-2019)

I have a very similar situation with a mama squirrel who has lived in my backyard for at least 4 or 5 years. She knows me, takes nuts from my hand, and is always very comfortable around me, but she wouldn't let me trap her yesterday. She is holed up in a squirrel box now. I'm going to give her metacam on a pecan. I may be able to move the entire box into a large cage and watch her. Not sure what to do. Any thoughts/recommendations? She is dragging one of her back legs.

Sounds like you are on the right path. Try not to stress too much. Metacam is good.
    redwuff
    State Licensed

I think I'll move her to a large cage and just see how it goes. If too stressed I'll put the box back out. Hurts my heart to see her like this. She is the matriarch of the backyard. In fact, I fear she has a dray w/ little ones right now, but can't climb to get to it. She always looks pregnant or nursing no matter what time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by tgramsey View Post
    I think I'll move her to a large cage and just see how it goes. If too stressed I'll put the box back out. Hurts my heart to see her like this. She is the matriarch of the backyard. In fact, I fear she has a dray w/ little ones right now, but can't climb to get to it. She always looks pregnant or nursing no matter what time of year.
    Keep watching for the little ones then. They will be coming out soon to look for help. Can you go after them?
    redwuff
    State Licensed

I’ll definitely be on the lookout. I have no idea where the dray is this season. Question: Is there anything I can give the squirrel to calm her down, sedate her if need be to get a good look at the leg? Thank you.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to tgramsey from:

RockyPops (10-08-2019)

Paw and limb injuries are VERY common with wilds. Most injuries heal up in a few weeks without any special help, squirrels have really good healing abilities. If you see her again try to lay out some treats so she can easily keep her strength up while she heals!

Quote Originally Posted by RockyPops View Post
    I had a wild fall from one limb to another Sunday. When she landed she just lay there for a while...out near the end of a branch. She finally made her way to the tree trunk and rested. I walked over to check on her and she went up a few feet and stopped. She sat on a limb on her haunches with her left hand on the limb and favoring her right hand. Her hand appeared to be dangling.

I tried to get closer and she went up to the tree top and out of sight. It looked like she was using the bad hand but it was hard to tell.

I haven't seen an injured squirrel since so it may be a false alarm. Or shes hiding.

Will a compound break heal on it's own?

If not, would a wild squirrel tolerate being caught and splinted?

An adult wild wouldn't seek human help like a baby would it?

I don't know if the fall hurt her arm or a prior injury caused her to fall.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

RockyPops (10-09-2019)

Thanks TD.

I'm watching for her every day.

I can identify most of my regular visitors but I only saw her in the shadows that day so not sure who it was. I haven't seen a limping of gimpy squirrel yet.

I just hope it was a sprain as she was climbing with it shortly after the fall. I say she because of the eight +- visitors I have there is only one young male that comes around.

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RockyPops from:

Nancy in New York (10-10-2019)