Thread: Possibly orphaned babies, what to do?

Default Possibly orphaned babies, what to do?

Hi, I have a squirrel house and there are 2, for sure, babies in there, maybe more. They look about 5- 5 1/2 weeks old. No fur on the underside of tail yet.
    They have been climbing in and out of the house, onto its roof, all afternoon until night and calling for mama. I observed until after dark and no mama showed up. A couple of squirrels went to the squirrel house and looked inside and left. So,
    What should I do at this point ???
    They didn't look to thin but dehydration will be a concern.
    Thank you.

Default Re: Possibly orphaned babies, what to do?

Thanks for caring for these babies.

Someone should check in soon with helpful information.

Meanwhile, i guess keep checking on them and maybe prepare to intervene if needed. Maybe have a ladder ready to get then etc. And they will need a heating pad and formula.

Their mom is their best bet if at all possible.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RockyPops from:

Binkers mom (10-07-2019)

And keep us posted please.

I will keep observing them and see if mama comes around. I'm ready if need be.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Binkers mom from:

RockyPops (10-07-2019)

Darn. If they were younger (pre eye opening) I'd have volunteered to take them off your hands to raise with my boy. Alas, 'twas not meant to be.

If possible you can put a hamster/rabbit/normal cage watering bottle in. I've found my boy (even though still eating from the nipple and on formula) figured out how to drink from the traditional water bottle instantly. I'm sure that if the babies get thirsty enough they'll certainly use it. You can even put the formula in there if it's fluid enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Binkers mom View Post
    Hi, I have a squirrel house and there are 2, for sure, babies in there, maybe more. They look about 5- 5 1/2 weeks old. No fur on the underside of tail yet.
    They have been climbing in and out of the house, onto its roof, all afternoon until night and calling for mama. I observed until after dark and no mama showed up. A couple of squirrels went to the squirrel house and looked inside and left. So,
    What should I do at this point ???
    They didn't look to thin but dehydration will be a concern.
    Thank you.
    If momma has not come around something has happened to her and these babies will need intervention.
    Dehydration is a big concern and they will need nourishment /formula as they would still be nursing momma.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

9. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Binkers mom (10-08-2019), RockyPops (10-08-2019), Spanky (10-08-2019)

I was out early this morning to put food out and check on the little ones.
    I saw a female close by, then saw a baby in a nearby tree. It started calling and mama showed up and bundled it up and carried baby back into the squirrel house.
    Also saw mama in a nearby tree, perhaps she is building another nest, as they often do.
    I left some wild bites around and she got them.
    That little one is a bold baby, the second one is more timid it seems.
    Going to keep a close watch, thought there was a possibility of another "Junebug" situation....6-7 week baby on her own....but it appears mama is on the job!
    It has been fun watching the babies and mamas in the different squirrel houses, one we call Mama Choo, she has been around for 5 yrs, the tip of her tail is missing, had 4 babies and recently moved them out of the house in a big tree. It was so cute to see 4 little heads pop out of the hole.
    Thanks everyone!

11. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Binkers mom:

Mel1959 (10-08-2019), redwuff (10-08-2019), RockyPops (10-08-2019), Spanky (10-08-2019)