Thread: Legality of Flyers in NY

abcdefg Guest

Question Legality of Flyers in NY

Does anyone have confirmed info on the legality of owning a flying squirrel born from captive born parents from a USDA certified breeder in New York and/or, more specifically, Brooklyn and/or NYC? I'm looking to adopt soon (well, asap, which isn't very soon) and can't find concrete information anywhere online. Any flyer legal information specific to apartment housing is greatly appreciated as well. Thanks!

Default Re: Legality of Flyers in NY

I may be totally off base but what you're saying sounds more like you are talking about sugar gliders than flying squirrels. They are two completely different species, in fact gliders are not even squirrels (forgive me if you already know this). To the best of my knowledge, flying squirrels are looked upon by the NY State Dept of Environmental Conservation (DEC) as any other squirrel or wildlife: it is illegal to possess them and requires a rehabilitator's license to treat them in any way. Sugar gliders, I believe, are considered an exotic pet and that's where the "OK if from a certified USDA breeder" thing comes in.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

abcdefg Guest

Unhappy Re: Legality of Flyers in NY

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    I may be totally off base but what you're saying sounds more like you are talking about sugar gliders than flying squirrels. They are two completely different species, in fact gliders are not even squirrels (forgive me if you already know this). To the best of my knowledge, flying squirrels are looked upon by the NY State Dept of Environmental Conservation (DEC) as any other squirrel or wildlife: it is illegal to possess them and requires a rehabilitator's license to treat them in any way. Sugar gliders, I believe, are considered an exotic pet and that's where the "OK if from a certified USDA breeder" thing comes in.
    I know which animal I'm talking about, but my research showed that flying squirrels are legal to own without a special permit in the state of New York but that normal, local squirrels are not, however the sources are scarce and the info isn't cited, and especially since I live in the city, the situation is confusing. It seems like either the laws are either constantly changing or have yet to be established. Thank you, though.

Yes I am in the city too (BX) and ferrets aren't even legal here. I would be pleasantly surprised if flying squirrels were legal in NYC, the city of No You Can't.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

I did a little research and you're correct -- the sources are very flaky and shady. The most sensible article I found, while it doesn't clear up our New York City legality question, really treats the subject of squirrels as pets pretty brilliantly:

https://www.vin.com/vetzinsight/defa...756&id=5454945
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.