Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2.5 week old female Eastern Gray not gaining weight

Default 2.5 week old female Eastern Gray not gaining weight

Just found this board. Wish I would've found it sooner. Anyway, we have three that we took in on 9/22 that were just past pinky stage, approximately one week old. They were re-hydrated with Pedialyte for several feedings until the next day. Then they were started on Fox Valley 32/40. All seemed to be doing fine. However, the one we are having problems with was "runtish." About four days ago, it was noticeable that the others were gaining weight without any issue. The littlest female, although eating regularly and excreting regularly, started looking very gaunt. Two days ago, she had a stool that was about an inch long and soft and light colored. I gave her more Pedialyte for diarrhea for three feedings and started her back on the formula yesterday afternoon. She has been urinating normally and this morning she had a single, more normal stool. However, throughout the day, she seems to be getting skinnier. What are your suggestions?

Default Re: 2.5 week old female Eastern Gray not gaining weight

Thanks for helping these little ones.

Please check back here often for a reply. Someone will reply. Everyone is real busy right now.

I'm not sure but that may not be the correct formula. FV is good but the numbers may be the wrong kind.

Do you have weights?

It's the FV for under 4 weeks. I don't have a scale, so no weights. I can go buy one.

I think the 20/50 is what you need. And weight is needed to calc amount for each feeding.

I am very much a novice at this so check back here and someone will help you.

There id lots of info on this site but can be a daunting task to find it.

Thanks again for helping these babies.

5. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to RockyPops:

Nancy in New York (10-03-2019), PhinMax (10-03-2019), stepnstone (10-03-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by PhinMax View Post
    It's the FV for under 4 weeks. I don't have a scale, so no weights. I can go buy one.

If your feeding the FV 32/40 TSB does not recommend it for the very reasons you are seeing.
    If you do not have a weight on these babies you have no real way to know how much they
    should be eating. Squirrels are fed between 5-7% of their body weight (each feeding) which
    represents the capacity of their stomachs. Meds for squirrels if the need should arrive are also
    administered by body weight. It is essential to have a scale for weights when rearing these babies.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

RockyPops (10-03-2019)

I'll go buy one now.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to PhinMax from:

RockyPops (10-03-2019)

Over the past four days, she has eaten no more than 2cc 6x daily of either formula or Pedialyte. Last week, she ate no more than 1cc 8x daily.

Also, she has had no bloating.

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to PhinMax from:

RockyPops (10-03-2019)

I’m glad 2 of the babies did well on the FV 32:40. As step mentioned there have been problems with the formula for the <4 week olds (Fox Valley 32:40)

This little one is clearly having difficulty digesting it.
    We have a temporary formula that might help the baby. You can use that for the little one. I would go ahead and order the FoxValley 20:50 for the group. It is the >4 week formula.

This recipe has a goat milk base.

To make 1/2 Cup of formula:

3 Tablespoons of Goat's Milk
    3 Tablespoons of yogurt
    2 Tablespoons of heavy cream
    1/2 Egg Yolk for per cup of formula (The unused 1/2 egg yolk can be saved in the fridge (covered) for the next day's batch)

We consider this to be super-perishable, so 24 hours in the fridge max.

It might be a good idea to start with the above formula slightly modified. Start with 3T goat milk, 1T yogurt and 1T of heavy cream. The cream is pretty rich so working up to the above recipe might help to avoid diarrhea. The goat milk is highly digestible so maybe this little one will be able to utilize it better.

You will definitely need the scale so that’s a good place to start.

13. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Nancy in New York (10-04-2019), RockyPops (10-03-2019), Spanky (10-04-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    I’m glad 2 of the babies did well on the FV 32:40. As step mentioned there have been problems with the formula for the <4 week olds (Fox Valley 32:40)

This little one is clearly having difficulty digesting it.
    We have a temporary formula that might help the baby. You can use that for the little one. I would go ahead and order the FoxValley 20:50 for the group. It is the >4 week formula.

This recipe has a goat milk base.

To make 1/2 Cup of formula:

3 Tablespoons of Goat's Milk
    3 Tablespoons of yogurt
    2 Tablespoons of heavy cream
    1/2 Egg Yolk for per cup of formula (The unused 1/2 egg yolk can be saved in the fridge (covered) for the next day's batch)

We consider this to be super-perishable, so 24 hours in the fridge max.

It might be a good idea to start with the above formula slightly modified. Start with 3T goat milk, 1T yogurt and 1T of heavy cream. The cream is pretty rich so working up to the above recipe might help to avoid diarrhea. The goat milk is highly digestible so maybe this little one will be able to utilize it better.

You will definitely need the scale so that’s a good place to start.
    I already have a full bag and a 1/4 bag of the 20/50 leftover from the two 10 week olds that I have. So I'm set there. I'll go to the store now and buy the ingredients for the recipe above. Thank you so much. Once I weigh her I'll let you know. And, I'll keep you posted on her progress with this recipe.

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to PhinMax from:

RockyPops (10-03-2019)

Unable to locate a scale tonight. I gave her 1.25 cc of the recipe. She took it well. Will feed her once more tonight about 11 p.m. I suppose it's a little late to ask, but should I worry about re-hydration before the formula?

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to PhinMax from:

RockyPops (10-03-2019)

Placed like WalMart, Target and BedBath and Beyond usually have kitchen scales.

Pinch up the skin between her shoulders. Does the skin tent and stay up or does it go back down? That is a test for dehydration but with a underdeveloped baby with excess skin it might not be too accurate. If the skin tents it’s a sign of dehydration. Don’t keep giving Pedialyte if you have been using it routinely. Too much causes problems due to the salt. You can give water between feeding for more hydration. Warm it a little just like formula.

You really need the scale to know how much to feed. She needs at least 5% of her body weight per feeding. Example... for a 40g baby the 5% would be 2ml. As she gets older the percentage will go up.

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

RockyPops (10-03-2019)

Placed like WalMart, Target and BedBath and Beyond usually have kitchen scales.

Pinch up the skin between her shoulders. Does the skin tent and stay up or does it go back down? That is a test for dehydration but with a underdeveloped baby with excess skin it might not be too accurate. If the skin tents it’s a sign of dehydration. Don’t keep giving Pedialyte if you have been using it routinely. Too much causes problems due to the salt. You can give water between feeding for more hydration. Warm it a little just like formula.

You really need the scale to know how much to feed. She needs at least 5% of her body weight per feeding. Example... for a 40g baby the 5% would be 2ml. As she gets older the percentage will go up.

I went to Wal-Mart and they didn't have one. Going to B,B,&B as soon as they open in the morning.

I only used the Pedialyte yesterday for three feedings. And you elaborated perfectly on what I was asking. I know about the skin test and assumed that it might not be accurate due to her weight. Thank you! Like I said earlier, I wish I would've found this page sooner. Going to give her more of the goat's milk formula now.

Will update tomorrow after I get the scale.

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to PhinMax from:

RockyPops (10-04-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by PhinMax View Post
    I went to Wal-Mart and they didn't have one. Going to B,B,&B as soon as they open in the morning.

I only used the Pedialyte yesterday for three feedings. And you elaborated perfectly on what I was asking. I know about the skin test and assumed that it might not be accurate due to her weight. Thank you! Like I said earlier, I wish I would've found this page sooner. Going to give her more of the goat's milk formula now.

Will update tomorrow after I get the scale.
    BBB definitely has them. They are in the cooking section - dieters use them to weigh food.

23. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

RockyPops (10-04-2019)

She's 30 grams. So 30 * .05 = 1.5 mL.

This morning (before I was able to get the scale) I gave her 1.25 mL. She had about a half inch long, soft, light colored stool that was runny towards the end. Also, her urine was not clear like the others (more yellow).

Should I try to rehydrate again before more formula? She hasn't had Pedialyte since Wednesday.

25. Serious fuzzy thank you's to PhinMax from:

RockyPops (10-04-2019)

Yes, you can hydrate her.

Just curious. How much do the others weigh? So we can compare her weight to theirs.

27. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

RockyPops (10-04-2019)

Just curious. How much do the others weigh? So we can compare her weight to theirs.
    Male: 51 grams
    Other Female: 49 grams

For how many feedings?

Based on when you found them and the size of the larger ones I would say they are approaching 4 weeks. (Probably between 3-4 weeks) I would feed them every 4 hrs to see if little one can catch up. Check the milk line on her abdomen to make sure the white band mostly disappears between feedings.

Watch the poop. If the baby gets diarrhea from the formula switch you might need to leave the heavy cream out until her GI adjusts. I hope she doesn’t because she is so small.

31. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

RockyPops (10-04-2019)

I'm sorry to say she just passed. Thank you all for your help.

Should I switch the other two that are thriving on the FV 32/40 to the goat's milk recipe or keep them on the FV?

Oh no, I can’t believe it. I am so sorry. That makes me so sad.

If the others are doing well I would continue what you are doing. They would be going to Fox Valley 20:50 in about a week anyway so no need to switch to GM. Just wait until time for the FV20:50 switch at 4 weeks.

34. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

PhinMax (10-04-2019), RockyPops (10-04-2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast