Thread: 13 week old squirrel caught by cat

Default 13 week old squirrel caught by cat

Today while I was standing outside I suddenly heard what sounded like a pounce on top of the leaves. I went towards the sound and sure enough there was a feral cat with an approximately 13 week old squirrel in its mouth. I immediately started clapping and went towards the cat. The cat then dropped the baby squirrel and ran off. The squirrel at first stumbled around and as I went towards it , it ran up a tree and stopped midway on the tree resting on the tree. It then went to the top of the tree and transferred to another tree. I wasn't able to get a good look at it. Im hoping it is ok. Is there anything I should look for tomorrow if I see it? Is there anything I can do for it? Thanks

Default Re: 13 week old squirrel caught by cat

Thanks for saving the baby. Right now there isn’t a lot you can do. Cat bites usually get infected if the skin is broken. Hopefully the cat didn’t have a chance to put it’s mouth on the baby. All you can really do is be watchful. If you see the baby with what appears to be a wound antibiotics will help.

I realize it is difficult to capture a wild. You can treat a wild with antibiotics without capture. I actually saved one this week that I was certain didn’t stand a chance. He had a massive abscess on his shoulders extending to the sides and back. It was from a bot fly infestation that went bad. I treated him with antibiotic laced avocado and fresh corn for 3 days. The abscess burst on its own. I did note that he was scratching it so he probably ruptured it. It is healing nicely.

It would be a good idea to see if you have any antibiotics left over in case you need it.

Edit... oh my, you did say with the baby in it’s mouth.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

RockyPops (10-05-2019)

Default Re: 13 week old squirrel caught by cat

Thank you so much for the advice. So far I haven't seen the baby but will be on the look out for it. I do have lots of antibiotics if needed. I will try to get a good look at it once I see it . I did trap the cat this morning and Im taking it to get neutered and then to my sisters farm. I'm so glad you were able to save a wild also this week. Thanks