Thread: Milk issues....

Default Milk issues....

I am a rehabber and just received a eastern gray. As usual, people try to raise them and when things start to fall apart, they finally seek a rehabber. This one I think I can save though. Just need a little help if I can get it.

They claim they have had it 5 weeks and they got it as a pinkie.

Based on what I see, I think 5 weeks is about right. Crawling on all 4's, eyes open. BUT, it only weighs 50 grams. My 5 weeker's usually weigh more than this. We can get that weight up though, so I am not concerned...YET

The issues are:

Of course, his weight.

Him being on this, what should be emergency formula, for 5 weeks.

X-rays today thankfully show no broken bones with him being on this goat milk formula the past 5 weeks.They found the TEMP formula online and that is ALL they have been feeding this little guy.

The reason they finally OMG I need a rehabber is, not it's weight at all... He has aspirated and has pnuemonia. When he started coughing, clicking etc they finally decided to get help.

I got him Saturday. Started antibiotics and he is MUCH better.

My issue is, I can not get this little guy off the Goat milk/heavy cream/yogurt and transitioned over to FV 20/50.

The most I can get is half and half. If I go any higher with the FV, he refused to eat.

I have tried just the yogurt with the FV, just the Goat Milk with the FV, and just the Heavy cream with the FV... NOPE, he refuses, so it is the entire mixture this little fellow is addicted to.

I usually use Esbilac and FV 20/50 half and half at this age.

Can I just leave him on the Goat milk formula and FV 20/50 half and half?????

I am not familiar with how well nutritionally this would be for him. I THINK it would be ok but wanted to check.

If I can not continue to use this half and half mixture, I am in big trouble because i have been trying for 2 days now and this guy will not let the goat milk go any lower than half.

Thoughts anyone?????

Thanks so much

Default Re: Milk issues....

Wow, that’s a problem. To be honest with you, if they had transitioned to Esbilac weeks ago he would be in much worse condition right now. He might even have died. Have you heard if the issues with powdered puppy Esbilac that are happening right now? The Esbilac was fine in the spring. No one had issues. 6 weeks ago people started noting serious GI issues with babies. Of course that can happen so no one got excited. When babies started getting broken bones and X-ray confirmed MBD everyone took note. Since that time the magnitude of the problem has become apparent. Esbilac is the common denominator. At this time, Esbilac is not safe to feed.

I know you have probably tried everything. Any chance you could step it down an ml at the time.

I’m sure you know the goat milk formula is considered a temporary formula for a reason. It is not nutritionally complete. I do have one suggestion that might make this work. In light of the serious Esbilac issue it has left a void as far as formula for the young guys. We don’t recommend FoxValley 32:40 because of past problems with the formula not being digested. There is now a newer goat milk formula, similar to the one he’s on that has been created to fill the gap until Fox Valley 20:50 can be started. It has boosted fat and protein.

3 tbs Goat Milk
    2 tbs yogurt
    2 tbs heavy cream
    1/2 raw egg yolk

This is the temporary formula now being recommended with boosted nutrition. Because your guy is hooked on goat milk this might be a viable option mixed with the Fox Valley 20:50. Just a thought.

Due to addition of the egg yoke, it is highly perishable and must be discarded after 24 hrs.
    Babies tested on this formula are receiving it well.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

CritterMom (09-30-2019)

Well, you have a couple choices. When it became evident that we really no longer had ANY commercially available formula that could be fed to the bitty babies with any degree of confidence, making some tweaks to the standard goats milk formula in order to boost the protein and fat so that a pinky could be raised to the age of transitioning to 20/50 without compromising health or development - while using ingredients the average person could reasonably find became very important. It uses all of the standard goats milk ingredients in different ratios and adds one additional ingredient:

3 Tbsp goats milk
    3 Tbsp yogurt
    2 Tbsp heavy cream
    1/2 of a raw egg yolk

We are recommending discarding it after 1 day. When you separate the egg yolk out and scoop half of it into the formula, cover the rest and use it for tomorrow's formula.

If your picky little guy will accept this recipe for half of his formula with 20/50 for the other half, you should be fine nutrition wise for him/

Your other option is to just try to transition from what he is eating way more slowly. Like over a week or two so he doesn't realize anything is happening.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

HRT4SQRLS (09-30-2019)

LOL!!! HRT4SQRLZ, we need to do this in a two part harmony!

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Well, you have a couple choices. When it became evident that we really no longer had ANY commercially available formula that could be fed to the bitty babies with any degree of confidence, making some tweaks to the standard goats milk formula in order to boost the protein and fat so that a pinky could be raised to the age of transitioning to 20/50 without compromising health or development - while using ingredients the average person could reasonably find became very important. It uses all of the standard goats milk ingredients in different ratios and adds one additional ingredient:

3 Tbsp goats milk
    3 Tbsp yogurt
    2 Tbsp heavy cream
    1/2 of a raw egg yolk

We are recommending discarding it after 1 day. When you separate the egg yolk out and scoop half of it into the formula, cover the rest and use it for tomorrow's formula.

If your picky little guy will accept this recipe for half of his formula with 20/50 for the other half, you should be fine nutrition wise for him/

Your other option is to just try to transition from what he is eating way more slowly. Like over a week or two so he doesn't realize anything is happening.
    Thanks so much. I am sure hoping I can get him to stop demanding his GM formula. SO basically, just add the egg yolk to what he is taking now, up the yogurt and HWC..Lordy, I hope that does not piss him off I know trying to take away the recipe he is on now has truly done this already We shall see Thanks so much

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    Wow, that’s a problem. To be honest with you, if they had transitioned to Esbilac weeks ago he would be in much worse condition right now. He might even have died. Have you heard if the issues with powdered puppy Esbilac that are happening right now? The Esbilac was fine in the spring. No one had issues. 6 weeks ago people started noting serious GI issues with babies. Of course that can happen so no one got excited. When babies started getting broken bones and X-ray confirmed MBD everyone took note. Since that time the magnitude of the problem has become apparent. Esbilac is the common denominator. At this time, Esbilac is not safe to feed.

I know you have probably tried everything. Any chance you could step it down an ml at the time.

I’m sure you know the goat milk formula is considered a temporary formula for a reason. It is not nutritionally complete. I do have one suggestion that might make this work. In light of the serious Esbilac issue it has left a void as far as formula for the young guys. We don’t recommend FoxValley 32:40 because of past problems with the formula not being digested. There is now a newer goat milk formula, similar to the one he’s on that has been created to fill the gap until Fox Valley 20:50 can be started. It has boosted fat and protein.

3 tbs Goat Milk
    2 tbs yogurt
    2 tbs heavy cream
    1/2 raw egg yolk

This is the temporary formula now being recommended with boosted nutrition. Because your guy is hooked on goat milk this might be a viable option mixed with the Fox Valley 20:50. Just a thought.

Due to addition of the egg yoke, it is highly perishable and must be discarded after 24 hrs.
    Babies tested on this formula are receiving it well.
    Thanks so much. Yes, I know about the issues. Thankfully I have 8 containers in the freezer of the good stuff I have been using without issues. I bought them last year. Still good well into 2020.

I will give this mixture a whirl. Up the yogurt and HWC..add the egg yolk. Hopefully this does not piss him off like me trying to take the original mixture away has He would pull off that nipple and start looking elsewhere for his dinner. Get him back on the nipple and one suck he would spit and fuss haha He is a mess that is for sure. Thanks so much

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    LOL!!! HRT4SQRLZ, we need to do this in a two part harmony!
    yeah, that!