Thread: Are these even the same species?

Vter Guest

Default Are these even the same species?

Hello! this afternoon I found a squirrel on my covered porch. I put her in a box with a blanket and heating pad. Tonight (7 hours later) I found another squirrel in my window well. He looks like a different squirrel, older and maybe a different species. I've included two pictures of him, one with his tail. the other is smaller, lighter, and MUCH calmer. Any info would be appreciated. I have a ton of experience with animals, but none with squirrels!

Vter Guest

Default Re: Are these even the same species?

Vter Guest

https://imgur.com/voWKBtB

Sorry, I'm not sure what's going on with my picture uploads. The links should work.

I looked at the pictures. The one baby looks like it has strange paws. Is that an illusion? I think we need to see better pics. Can you get one where the blanket is not covering them up?
    We live in a heaven created by our virtues --- Muktananda

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to JLM27 from:

RockyPops (10-04-2019)

How are you treating them? Hydration, heat, food?
    We live in a heaven created by our virtues --- Muktananda

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to JLM27 from:

RockyPops (10-04-2019)

Vter Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JLM27 View Post
    I looked at the pictures. The one baby looks like it has strange paws. Is that an illusion? I think we need to see better pics. Can you get one where the blanket is not covering them up?
    https://imgur.com/a/GQBuAIV

Here are a few more. You can see how their fur is different, though it's not very clear. I will take better ones as soon as I can.

I'm keeping them warm. The lighter one is being fed with Esbilac, though I see from this forum there may be issues with that. I'll reevaluate tomorrow. I have not fed the redder one yet. He is getting warmer and settling down, but he is VERY scared of me right now.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Vter from:

RockyPops (10-04-2019)

I believe the little brownish squirrel is a red squirrel. I feel certain the other is a sibling. We have seen red squirrels with strange fur colors, density and texture. I remember a little white squirrel with thin fur. As the baby developed the fur grew in the typical red squirrel coat.

I have no idea what causes this but when it comes up it’s usually a red squirrel.

Right now Esbilac is defective so I would not use it. I would buy the ingredients for the goat milk formula to be used temporarily. You should order Fox Valley 20:50. It is a formula for baby squirrels over 4 weeks.

11. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

island rehabber (10-04-2019), JLM27 (10-05-2019), Nancy in New York (10-05-2019), RockyPops (10-04-2019), UwantSomaThis (10-04-2019)

Vter Guest

Thank you for the response!
    The deep red is looking good this morning, VERY feisty!

Do you have an age estimate based on the pictures? The reds tail is curled up like an adult, so I was thinking 6 weeks.

13. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Vter:

island rehabber (10-05-2019), RockyPops (10-05-2019)

I’m not a good one to age red squirrels as I’ve never seen one in the flesh.

One thing I can agree with is your description... FEISTY! Every one that rehabs them seems to use that to describe them.
    Fast as a bullet and full of attitude!

One day I hope to see one.

15. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

island rehabber (10-05-2019), Nancy in New York (10-05-2019), RockyPops (10-05-2019)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.