Thread: Swollen Neck

Alcott Guest

Default Swollen Neck

Yesterday I spotted a squirrel in my yard with a large swelling under his chin. I can’t get too close, but it appears fur covered. He is still active today and eating a lot (demolishing my sunflowers), and doesn’t appear to be drooling. I doubt I could catch him at this point to provide care, but am wondering what it could be and if it might be contagious to other animals. I haven’t seen this on any other squirrels. I’m so worried about him! I hope the photos work, sorry if they’re blurry, I tried my best to set up a photo op.Name:  4B0D3C36-28E4-445D-A038-F0F816C8C9F0.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  106.6 KBName:  F1F7AFA9-BAE0-4BAA-A5E7-E1F2D5E966E6.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  85.1 KB

Default Re: Swollen Neck

Hard to tell from pics, but looks like it may be a bot fly. If it is there should be a breathing hole thru the skin with oozzy fluid coming out. It will be a warble (huge maggot) in there that will drop out in a week or two. They don't seem to damage the squirrel unless there is a lot of them.

Search "bot fly" on youtube to see them being removed. Be prepared to be grossed out.

Nutrition and hydration is probably all you can do short of catching him and removing it, which will probably be more stressful on the squirrel than the maggot.

Keep us posted.

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to RockyPops:

Nancy in New York (10-05-2019)

Alcott Guest

Thanks for the suggestion. Yep, gross.
    I will definitely keep an eye on him and post what happens. Hope I see a positive resolution soon. And I’ll offer some almonds or walnuts so he won’t eat so many sunflower seeds. I think he was eating veggies from my garden but now just wants the sunflowers. I have a dish of water out all the time.

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Alcott:

redwuff (10-05-2019), RockyPops (10-05-2019)

Another possibility is an abcess. If so, hopefully it will open and drain on it own. They often do.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

7. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

RockyPops (10-05-2019)

Alcott Guest

After many days of squirrel-watching with binoculars (and wondering what my neighbours must think), it seems that my squirrel has recovered. Once the swelling was gone it was challenging to distinguish him from other squirrels. But we only have a few grey ones around here, so that helped. I was finally able to see under the chin of the squirrel I suspected was the patient, and he seems to have been left with just a small area of bare skin, maybe with a small dark spot in the middle. Otherwise looking healthy.
    Thanks again very much for the suggestions.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Alcott from:

RockyPops (10-12-2019)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.