Thread: Not sucking from syringe

corsicana Guest

Default Not sucking from syringe

I rescued a baby squirrel Sunday afternoon. A hawk had it and dropped it about 8 feet off the ground in front of my vehicle. I jumped out and picked it up. The squirrel is fully furred and has its upper and lower teeth. I'm thinking its probably 6 or 7 weeks old. My question is I can't get it to suck from a syringe. I got about 3 cc into him Sunday evening and he sucked fine, but now I'm having to put little drops into his mouth and let him swallow. I don't know what to do. Any help would be great. I don't want him to dehydrate but i'm afraid he will if I can't get fluids into him.

Default Re: Not sucking from syringe

First, try cuddling him in a little blanket that you can pull over his eyes while nursing. He is old enough to KNOW that you aren't his mama and this may be fear. Also, try making the formula warmer - every one I have nursed wanted it quite a bit warmer than their mamas could have produced. You might also try dipping the end of the syringe or the nipple if you have one in something sweet like honey or syrup or even a little table sugar so he gets the taste as soon as it goes in his mouth.

How is he acting? Hawk talons are absolutely filthy from a bacteria standpoint - he could have an infection brewing, too.

corsicana Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    First, try cuddling him in a little blanket that you can pull over his eyes while nursing. He is old enough to KNOW that you aren't his mama and this may be fear. Also, try making the formula warmer - every one I have nursed wanted it quite a bit warmer than their mamas could have produced. You might also try dipping the end of the syringe or the nipple if you have one in something sweet like honey or syrup or even a little table sugar so he gets the taste as soon as it goes in his mouth.

How is he acting? Hawk talons are absolutely filthy from a bacteria standpoint - he could have an infection brewing, too.
    He wiggles around and is very alert. Burrows down in his blanket.

corsicana Guest

If he does have an infection, what can I treat him with

Quote Originally Posted by corsicana View Post
    If he does have an infection, what can I treat him with
    For that sort of thing you best bet would be a drug called Amoxicillen/clavulanic acid. It is sold as a med for pets under the name Clavamox, and for humans under a bunch of names - the "brand" is called Augmentin, but the generics have names like Amoxiclav and others that sound very similar. Most of these would be found as a leftover medication from a human, so friends and family can be a good resource.

Was he wounded? Did he have open wounds from the talons?

corsicana Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    For that sort of thing you best bet would be a drug called Amoxicillen/clavulanic acid. It is sold as a med for pets under the name Clavamox, and for humans under a bunch of names - the "brand" is called Augmentin, but the generics have names like Amoxiclav and others that sound very similar. Most of these would be found as a leftover medication from a human, so friends and family can be a good resource.

Was he wounded? Did he have open wounds from the talons?
    Yes he had a wound on his cheek as well as on his shoulder. It looks to be scabbed over. I went home for lunch and fed him 3 cc of water. He doesnt want to suck but he will nibble on the tip of the syringe and I can put drops in his mouth

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to corsicana from:

RockyPops (10-01-2019)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.