Thread: Dwarf squirrel - What to feed?

Threaded View

Default Dwarf squirrel - What to feed?

Hi,

I have a dwarf young squirrel and have been reading all the posts here on what to do but I'm having a tough time getting him to eat anything other than formula. Question - how do you get them to chew on hard things to file their teeth down? I don't think I can find a vet to file/clip his teeth as he should be euthanized by state law if he is NR. So far he will take formula and a little applesauce. I've only had him 2 days so this is all new. Hard to tell age - maybe 7-9 weeks. Short tail is bushy. He doesn't really walk or move. Sleeps all day and night. If I force him to walk, he shuffles a few inches. Moves backwards a bit. He is very odd. I don't have photos yet. Legs are very short and as soon as I saw his face I knew. I haven't tried HHB yet but I have them so I'll try. No food in his basket has been touched. He is on heat as I've read about the thermo-regulation problems. I have a feeling he is not one of the high functioning dwarf squirrels but he did survive out in the wild this long. He weighs about 170 which is a lot for his small size. He is a little tank with a big belly. He wouldn't pee or poop for a day but once we started to stimulate him we got it started and he is doing it on his own now.

How long should I anticipate he can live? I know it isn't a long life.

Tips on how to get him to eat solids and what to do about his teeth. Maybe he is just too young yet and will develop eating skills at a slower rate. He doesn't touch the zupreem or cheerios. He was slightly interested in a half of fresh acorn and nibbled but didn't swallow it.

It sounds like a lot of people have had these squirrels and I've been reading a lot of accounts so thank you all. Any tips and ideas are welcome. I'll try to get photos today.

Sharon

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to sabelson:

Chirps (09-29-2019), RockyPops (09-29-2019)